Author Topic: Miracles Do Happen  (Read 1429 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Miracles Do Happen
« on: March 29, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
Prof. Ram Natesh writes:

The ways of Infinite Consciousness are mysterious.  Someone playing by the rules may have to struggle hard in life to reach the goal. On the other hand, someone not deserving, like me, get soaked in His infinite grace.  This apparent anamoly is explained as Prarabha.

My father was Supdt. of the workshops in Bengal-Nagpur Railway and we were in Kharagpur, in 1930s.  Coming under the influence of British rulers,he was argumentative and was telling that God was a creation of mind, created by religion to make the citizens obedient.  He used to challenge anyone:  Show me a living person, who has seen God?"  It so happened that Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri was living in Kharagpur came to our house with some common friends.  The conversation turned on God and my father put the usual arguments.  Ganapati Sastri immediately told about Ramana Maharshi and asked him to visit Tiruvannamalai.  Later my father also accidentally got hold of Brunton's book A Search in Secret India.  My father was impressed with that book.

A few years later, on our return from Palakkad, we came to Tiruvannamalai. In the Asramam, it was breakfast time and the attendant who invited us asked us to go to dining hall straight, as per
Bhagavan's orders.  My father replied that Maharshi might have someone else in His mind, since he had not informed anyone about his visit.  The attendant responded-- "Yes, Maharshi said you would be raising this and such questions too!"  In Tamil, it is:  "Inda keliviyellam ketpa..."  The attendant further asked:  "Are you Mr. Natesh Iyer?"  My father said yes but added: "In this place such a name is popular.."  The attendant further asked: "Are you not from Kharagpur?"

"Yes... yes."  said by my father totally aghast as to how Maharshi could have known about our arrival and faltering in his replies.

Our family stayed in the Asramam for a week.  Most of this time, my father sat silently in front of the Maharshi. gazing at His half closed eyes.  I asked my father later that how he had kept quiet in the presence of Bhagavan, though by nature, he had been gurrulous.  My father said:  "I was drunk in happiness.  Where was the mind at that time?"

My father who used to ask embarassing questions like, 'Have you seen God? What is God doing right now?' found that in the presence of Bhagavan Ramana such questions became meaningless.

My father's attitude completely changed thereafter and to every one of his friends, including some British, he was recommending visit to Sri Ramanasramam!

(Source: Mountain Path, Jayanti, 2005)

Arunachala Siva.