Author Topic: Madalasa Upadesha  (Read 27772 times)

srkudai

Madalasa Upadesha
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:42:41 PM »
Madalasa upadesha or Madalasa putropadesha is Mandalasa's cradle song to her crying child. Through these simple verses the mother introduces her child to the Truth that he already IS. To every crying child [anyone who is crying for what ever object], The Mother's teachings are real eye openers. If someone is crying ... what ever the reason, be it for spirituality or materialistic object, such a person needs this teaching.

In our tradition Mother, Father and Guru are said to be equal to God. Coz they introduce the child systematically to their Self. We shall see how Mandalasa explains the Truth to her child...

Verse 1:

Suddhosi bubbhosi niranjanosi
samsara maya parivarjitosi
samsara svapnam tyaja moha nidra
mandalasollapamuvacha putram

Mandalasa says to her crying son:
"You are pure, Enlightened, and spotless.
Leave the illusion of the world
and wake up from this deep slumber of delusion."

The world which seems to bother you is actually an illusion... maya, it appears to be present, but not a reality. So, wake up from this delusion that it is real... she seems to be saying. And she also tells him that he is really spotless and pure... he cannot even be touched by anything!

Usually such teaching is presented with detailed explanation. To drive the point to the student, it is illustrated with short stories and lot of practical illustrations --- as we can see in Yoga Vasishtam or Tripura Rahasyam. At other places, the teaching is presented in question/answer format where all the "likely" doubts of the student are discussed.

It is natural to ask: "how do u call it a dream?"  On one such occasion, a relative asked me, "If you are not given food, then would you call it a dream still?" ... to an uninitiated student who has not understood the teaching calling the whole world as dream would look like philosophizing unnecessarily. We shall study these verses more meditatively and see how our day to day life situations are not very different from dream experiences.

[To continue ...]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:05:38 PM by srkudai »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Mandalasa Upadesha
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »
Its very evident that the entire Scriptures are aimed at reminding one what he really is. Looking at the big picture one cannot but has to accept that one is to be reminded about his true nature. This has been the case with all the realised souls who kept their foot on the Earth.

Even Bhagawan was first reminded about his true Self by one of his Uncle, who when he came to his home, and Venkaraman asked where from he came? He replied "Arunachala"

This reminder was enough for Venkataraman!

Whereas for us, we have been reminding ourselves millions of times... but I just cant help type this word - "STILL"

Mandalasa begins to remind the baby right from its birth its true nature. Very beautiful verses. Looking forward to know more!

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Mandalasa Upadesha
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:48 AM »
In Sri Arunachala Ashtakam, verse 1, Bhagavan Ramana graphically
describes this incident of his uncle mentioning about Arunachala.  He
thought it was a big thing.  Then He came.  He found it Achalam,
non-moving.  In verse 2, He continues:  I came, I could not say 'I saw' because, there is no seer.  Then how can I say 'I did not see'?
I became one with Arunachala.  Beautiful verses.  Sri Arunachala
Stuti Panchakam, is a pilgrimage from duality to non duality.  First,
is Aksharamanamalai, where He pines for Arunachala the Lord to marry Him.  Then comes Navamani malai, where the same thought
continues.  In Padigam, it is a mixture.  In Ashtakam, the merger
is complete.  In Arunachala Pancharatanam, He describes the various paths for such a merger, jnana, yoga, bhakti and karma.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Madalasa Upadesha
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:39:46 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Excellent post.  Some Siddhar uses more or less the same simile.
Two young girls play with puppets, treating them as Appa and Amma.
One girl attains puberty.  She does not like the puppet game anymore.
On marriage, she knows what is sexual life.  Then she forgets the
puppets once and for all.  On self realization, all the puppet games
become unreal and dream-like, because one is awakened!

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:50:39 PM »
Dear Udai,

Very beautiful verses and nice illustrations, especially the Diamond one is very good!

You mentioned that if there is pain, the body just conveys it.

But, I feel the body is absolutely lifeless, its the same 'I' that conveys the pain as well. The body does not convey anything. The pain is also in the mind level only. what does the body know of pain or pleasure? Pain or Pleasure is only for the 'I' only. This also is a delusion only!

This 'I' feels that it is inside the body and the body is its residence and when some other entity comes to take the body, this 'I' gets disgusted and fights for it does not want to share it with anybody. Like when we keep our finger in the fire, the 'I' immediately orders to remove the finger from the fire for the fear that the finger may be burnt and eaten by fire.

Body is made up of 5 elements:

Fire
Water
Air
Earth
Space

Fire dies in water
Water disappears in fire
Air Dries water
Space sucks Air
Earth dissolves in water

Each of the 5 elements are enemies to each other. therefore when we come into contact with any of the 5 elements the 'I' fears. It does not want to share its residence with anybody.

Nagaraj

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:04:06 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »
I came across a similar topic discussed by Bhagawan:

The trouble is that it is extremely difficult to regard the body
or the objective world as unreal. Bhagavan admitted that in
the following dialogue:

Devotee: I have a toothache; is that only a thought?
Bhagawan: Yes.
Devotee: Then why can’t I think that there is no toothache, and
so cure myself?
Bhagawan: One does not feel the toothache when one is absorbed
in other thoughts or when asleep.
Devotee: But still it remains.
Bhagawan: So strong is man’s conviction of the reality of the world
that it is not easily shaken off. But the world is no more real
than the individual who sees it.

The Seeker himself is Unreal.

There is only one 'I' when the seeking began, the seeker was created. when the seeking ends the seeker dies and the 'I'  remains...

Devotee: Why did the Self manifest as this miserable world?
Bhagawan: In order that you might seek it. Your eyes cannot see
themselves but if you hold a mirror in front of them they see
themselves. Creation is the mirror. See yourself first and then
see the whole world as the Self.

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »
Its the role that plays and not the Self. But if the roles is fixed like a cinema then no one will contest your role. But in the roles that we play all the other characters in the movie are demanding a different role of the same character at the same time. I am playing the role but since each of the other roles are demanding a different role of the character the role does not really know which role to play in the end. in the end it is becomes a bad performance.

If the role of the son is 'philosopher son' or a 'good son' if this is what the mother role wants then there is no problem but the if the mother role wants you to play some other role, and others want you to play a different son role?

I feel we have to cease playing even the roles. it is short lived. for even to play a role is also a desire. the desire to keep the mother character happy!

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »
Dear Udai,

Its true what you said. Just that here in me, the Vairagya to hold on to the knowledge that I am only the actor is not concrete enough. Each moment I shoud just practice remembering my real nature like for Eg. this moment as I type this, I am only the role who is responding here and I am untouched!

Need the grace and blessings of Sri Ramana

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

I understand you.  All of us have got these difficulties, occasional
flashes of the Self sometimes and dances of the drunken monkey,
called the mind, many times.  Perseverence, continued perseverence
in practice is the only way.  Bhagavan Ramana's grace is always there.  But for His infinite grace, we shall not be discussing all these
here.  But we have to continue our practice with utmost perseverence.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »
Very True Dear Subramanian,

But for His infinite grace, we shall not be discussing all these. Really I feel so blessed to be here in this Forum Satangh, to be sharing heart and mind with good souls here in this forum. I felt nice by reading your post. :)

Perseverence, continued perseverence in practice is the only way for this drunker monkey  :D

Nagaraj

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 11:52:49 PM »
You are correct Dear Udai, Vairagya cannot be an effort, as you say, when there is complete understanding/clarity, vairagya is the result, Dispassion arises out of true knowledge and when this true knowledge arises and there is complete understanding/clarity one is able to abide as Self!

I have read in some upanishad. it goes something like this (Just a vague description)

He who thinks knows it, actually knows not it
He who thinks knows not it, actually knows it

I feel this bit about Vairagya is very important and key for any spiritual. I kept forgetting it, I am reminded again :)

I am once again reminded about your question to Sri Suddhananda -

Q: Is intellectual understanding enough or do we need to practice?
A: With Self... understanding is practicing. if someone is not able to practice, it means he has not understood it.

Where it seems that Vairagya is not possible, there is not a 100% understanding i.e. clarity. Knowledge = understanding/clarity. where Knowledge <> Undestanding/clarity,  its not yet a knowledge Enquiry continues there!

:)

Nagaraj
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:54:39 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
Nice descriptions. I have a question, without the iron ball, there cannot be a fire. Similarly, To be aware that its only the character that is playing the role and not the 'I' It is untouched. But only when this 'I'(Fire) involves itself with the character(Iron Ball) only then the CHaracter is able to play its role (Note: The fire by itself will and cannot burn anything. Even to burn it involves itself with the ball to perform the role of burning). And to perform any action, the 'I' has to forget itself and become the character to play the role.

For eg. only when I keep my finger on the fire only then I burn. As a role the character has to keep its finger on the fire. For that moment the 'I' forgets itself and becomes the character to perform its duties. Otherwise how can the role perform its duties? As the 'I' is never bound at all. It only the character which has duties to perform, Karmas, etc...

To perform any duty, the eternal 'I' becomes the character to fulfill its obligatory duties, note the 'I' does not have any duty. In our worldly life is it possible to constantly be as the eternal 'I'? this 'I' will simply be. The character is able to perform only when this 'I' jumps into the fire becoming the character or else it will simply be.

Thus, I keep jumping into the fire and and remain as this 'I' every now and then, it is never constant. It feels to perform the obligations of th character it has to jump into the fire or else how will it play its role? after all its the same 'I' which plays the role as well!! When The role is being played it becomes the character by forgetting itself and when it simply is, IS.

I hope you underdtand my question, it little difficult to put into words.

Bhagawan, when he got realised, never had to play a role, he was as he IS. even when his mother came crying to him, he had no obligation to play the role of her son. He simply remained.

Perhaps, This itself is also another character and thats how it looks like! Then there seems to be no end!

Nagaraj
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:29:08 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes.  Finger should touch the fire to get the burns.  And that is how,
self enquiry has to be done.  Bhagavan Ramana says in Arunachala
Ashtakam, Verse 5:  I have to 'rub' the 'mind' that is Ruby, on the
stone that is "mind", so that the Ruby will shine. Read and understand this paradox.  Who am I? enquiry is essentially a thought process.  This thought burns away all the other thoughts and finally,
like the stick that stirs the funeral pyre, gets itself finally burnt! Finally one throws away the stone and gets or becomes the Ruby!

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »
You are correct Dear Subramanian, That friction between the two should eventually end. The Enquiry has to continue despite the questions, more specifically when the friction is really hot and vibrating, its a critical point where one should be even more aware about his nature and one will surely cross over the sharp edged blade of life and be free which he is.

Just now, a butterfly somehow came into my house and was struggling to find it way out. I was trying to help it out to show the way out through the window, I was showing my had for the butterfly to rest so that I will take it out and free it, but it would not listen. It took me some time and I persuaded the butterfly to show its true way. I knew It would die if it is not shown its way out by flying in between the fan blade etc... Then finally I succeeded to slowly guide it outside the window.

I just reflected, in many ways we are all just like the butterfly. The Guru is trying to show us the way out, but we don't listen to him and keep roaming here and there in different rooms (Worlds) and also saves us from dangers like how I switched off the fans to make sure that the butterfly is not hurt or drop dead from hitting itself over the fan!

What a wonder.! :) I should be aware always and listen to the voice of Guru always!

Nagaraj
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:33:31 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj called the pure consciousness as the "timeless factor" present in all the experiences in one of his talks.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...