Author Topic: Foreigners chanting Ganesha Atharvasheersham  (Read 2082 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Foreigners chanting Ganesha Atharvasheersham
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:26:40 PM »
Last time when I was doing Girivalam very early in the morning I saw many foreigners doing the Girivalam. I happened to see 2 foreign ladies chanting the Ganesha Atharvasheersham without any book in their hand and with incantations. I was SURPRISED. My god! I myself cant chant it all without a book in my hand. These 2 ladies from a different continent and totally different culture and totally alien to the Vedas and sanskrit are able to learn the Atharvasheersham. I felt so humbled! being born and also eligible to learn Vedas. I felt ashamed! I am far less in determination and devotion than the people who have far difficulties than me!

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Foreigners chanting Ganesha Atharvasheersham
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
I have watched Tamil Parayanam at 6.00 PM, in the New Hall, where
Bhagavan Ramana's works are chanted.  There were foreigners chanting in good Tamil and in good music. 

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Foreigners chanting Ganesha Atharvasheersham
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
In one of the talks swami vivekananda says

What do we want in India? If foreigners want these things, we want them twenty times more. Because, in spite of the greatness of the Upanishads, in spite of our boasted ancestry of sages, compared to many other races, I must tell you that we are weak, very weak. First of all is our physical weakness. That physical weakness is the cause of at least one-third of our miseries. We are lazy, we cannot work; we cannot combine, we do not love each other; we are intensely selfish, not three of us can come together without hating each other, without being jealous of each other.

We have lost faith. Would you believe me, we have less faith than the Englishman and woman — a thousand times less faith! These are plain words; but I say these, I cannot help it. Don't you see how Englishmen and women, when they catch our ideals, become mad as it were; and although they are the ruling class, they come to India to preach our own religion not withstanding the jeers and ridicule of their own countrymen? How many of you could do that? And why cannot you do that? Do you not know it? You know more than they do; you are more wise than is good for you, that is your difficulty! Simply because your blood is only like water, your brain is sloughing, your body is weak! You must change the body.

And the first step in getting strength is to uphold the Upanishads, and believe — "I am the Soul", "Me the sword cannot cut; nor weapons pierce; me the fire cannot burn; me the air cannot dry; I am the Omnipotent, I am the Omniscient."