Author Topic: Rudram and Chamakam  (Read 6740 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Rudram and Chamakam
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »
I had left learning the Vedas for some time now due to personal difficulties. But today I just chanted the Rudram and Chamakam. It took around 30 mins appx... I feel so very energized and very positive calm and composed and sharp.

All along till now I can only chant the Rudram and Chamakam only with the help of a Book in my hand. I have taken sankalpa that I must learn to chant this without seeing by heart and I am going to re start my Veda classes immediately.

This very change in me now is very evident of the potency of Mantras. I just saw by my own eyes the grace of Siva. He is so easily pleased when you chant the Rudra and Chamakam. I can sense it by the change within me! I am Happy now. God is listening. simply chanting the Rudram and Chamakam he has graced me so much!

Just felt like sharing with you all!

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

vinita

• View Profile
Re: Rudram and Chamakam
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:09 PM »
i am attracted to mantras...but have not stabilised myself to chant any one mantra. my difficulty is also my ignorance of sanskrit which i did not pay much attention to while in school many many decades ago. there must definitely be a lot of power in mantras which i am yet to experience. the longing, of course, is there to learn, meditate and drown in some mantra which wipes out the physical.

i understand that mantras should be recited in a particular way. the initiation by a guru is important, they say, for this reason. each mantra has its own metre / chanda and syllables.

was told arunachala shiva itself is a powerful mantra...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
I tried Sri Rudram and Chamkam for sometime.  But I had to leave
it because I could not pronounce it properly with my limted knowledge
of Sanskrit.  In Sanskrit mantras, pronouciation is of paramount importance.  I now chant only Arunachala Siva.  Arunachala is
Ramana Panchakshara.  Saiva Siddhantis are accepting Vedas,
but they do not approve caste differences.  Sri Rudram, is central
to Vedas, it appears in Yajur Veda and the Namasivaya mantra is the centrepiece in Sri Rudram.

Arunachala Siva.

vinita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »
yesterday i was going through rudrashtakam by tulsidas. it is very beautiful. starts with "Namami Shami Shan Nirvan Rupam; Vibum Vyakapam Brahmvedasvarupam....."

Eight cantos on Rudra (Rudrashtakam)
First Canto
O Ishan! I pray You, the one Who is the lord of all, Who is in eternal Nirvana-bliss, Who is resplendent, Who is omni-present, and Who is Brahman and Ved in totality. I adore You, Who is for self, Who is formless, Who is without change, Who is passionless, Who is like the sky (immeasurable), and Who lives in the sky.||1||

Eight Canto was very sweet and to some extent answered what we are discussing here!

I don't know yoga, japa (chanting of names), or prayers. Still, I am bowing continuously and always to You. O Shambhu! O Prabhu! Save me from the unhappiness due to old age, birth, grief, sins, and troubles. I bow to You, Who is the Lord.||8||

Poet: Preceptor of Bhusundi (Tulsidas)

Source: Ramacaritamanasa

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:01:20 PM »
Dear Vinita,

Its a very beautiful shloka full of meaning and Bhavam. Tulasidas's works are in such simple Hindi that as we read the Shloka, we are able to imbibe the essence then and there! if one continuously keeps chanting these shlokas, the Bhavam, the love for the Self will intensify and it will definitely inspire one in realizing the Self.

This is what is called Bhakthi Rasa.

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

munagala

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:15:59 PM »
I was always inclined towards learning vedas but could never do so.
After reading Bhagavan's books the inclination disappeared as the essence of vedas was taught by Bhagavan to the world.

As far as mantras it is good if we do Gayathri daily plus any other mantra of our ishta devata.

Gayathri grants chitta suddhi which is very important for spiritual progress.
Ramana says the greatest mantra is I i.e always focussing on the I thought.

Arunachala siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:36:29 AM »
Dear munagala,

Bhagavan Ramana always recommended continuation of Gayatri
Mantra and Sandhyavandhana for Brahmins who were already
doing it.  He also advocated not to remove the tuft of hair, if they
had already got.  He is the one Jnana Guru, who did not disturb
the existing practices for any devotee according to his own religion.

Arunachala Siva.