Author Topic: Important teachings of Tripura Rahasya  (Read 28645 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Important teachings of Tripura Rahasya
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
Nagaraj,
 :)
Our friend Jewell is referring to the Postman :)
Our friend uday bestowed this prestigious title to me!

Jewell,
I have read what you have posted.I have nothing at all to respond to whatever you have posted,except this-Another person is not  responsible for our actions and decisions.We alone are responsible for whatever we Decide and whatever we do.Every seeker should realize this basic principle,and act accordingly.
Wishing you the Very Best.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »
Nagaraj,
Our friend Jewell is referring to the Postman :)
Our friend uday bestowed this prestigious title to me!

:) oh my! so sorry, i was not aware about this your 'title', but, i just want to clear the air that it was not you, i was referring to in my expressions :D

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, I truly wasnt aware that You got that name already. My opinion came only from me! And Yes,we all are responsable for our actions! I wish You the Very Best too! With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Nagaraj,
For a moment I was wondering whether this prestigious title will be taken away from me.Thanks for letting this Title with me.It gives me a Nice feeling,for how else I can imitate Master Mahasaya.
It helps me to recall my first post here in this Forum wherein I narrated this story about Master Mahasaya.Here it is:

"Subodh Chandra Ghosh who later on became Swami SubhodAnanda(Khoka Maharaj) was a boy in his teens who came to know about Sri Ramakrishna and used to visit him in Dakshineswar on weekends or Holidays.Subodh was always straight forward and candid. One day the Master asked Subodh to go now and then to Mahendra Nath Gupta afterwards known as 'M' who lived near Subodh's home in Calcutta. At this the boy said, "He has not been able to cut asunder his family tie, what shall I learn of God from him?" The Master enjoyed these words indicative of Subodh's great spirit of renunciation and said, 'He will not talk anything of his own. He will talk only of what he learns from here." So one day Subodh went to 'M' and frankly narrated the conversation he had had with the Master. 'M' appreciated the frankness of the boy and said, "I am an insignificant person. But I live by the side of an ocean, and I keep with me a few pitchers of sea water. When a visitor comes, I entertain him with that. What else can I speak?" The sweet and candid nature of Subodh soon made him a great favourite with 'M'. After this Subodh was a frequent visitor at his house, where he would often spend long hours listening to 'M''s talks on the Master.

I have been a postman for a long long time and hope to be one forever,as long as it pleases the Master.
Namaskar.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:15:56 PM by Ravi.N »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2012, 07:19:02 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I just want to express, that since the manifestation of Bhagavan Ramana as Sri Ramakrishna here in the forum, I have been immensely benefited. The confluence of Ramakrishna and Ramanar is the best that has happened to me, and this has also enabled me to visit the windows of Christ, Buddha and Allah and so many other fronts as well! The differences has ever since been breaking up quicker! Where ever i see, Bhagavan Ramana is seen.

I have been a postman for a long long time and hope to be one forever,as long as it pleases the Master.

i pray the same prayers as yours Sri Ravi. i may not yet be eligible, but I aspire for it, what rests in our hands. He has to be the Engineer, He Has to be the Good Shepherd, He has to be Go-Pala! I would be ever ready to fall at his feet, my prayer is that he never fail to admonish me anytime so as to uplift me, to take me from darkness to light, from Untruth to Truth! I pray that I always fear the wrath of Guru, I pray that i always never be able to face the anger or disappointment of the Guru. I pray His Will, be done all time.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
Friends,
Here is a wonderful saying of Sri Yukteswar ,Guru of Sri Paramahansa Yogananda:

"Good manners without sincerity are like a beautiful dead lady," he remarked on suitable occasion. "Straightforwardness without civility is like a surgeon's knife, effective but unpleasant. Candor with courtesy is helpful and admirable."

The Autobiography of a Yogi.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »
Nagaraj,
You are indeed Blessed and I enjoy your Posts in various threads here.What you have expressed is indeed true devotion to the Guru.

Jewell,
Thanks very much.I enjoy your posts on Hymns,Poetry as well as the Talks of Nisargadatta Maharaj.

Namaskar.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
I dont see any problem with udai garu as someone put it "hijacking" many threads.

There are 2 ways to live in this world

=> like a parrot repeating words of whom we admire the most and call them as guru,saint,god etc..
   OR
=> introspect what they have told which means a discussion may be required or doubts may exist to get cleared off. and then to decide whether to accept those words or not..

If there was no questinable attitude many practices like sati would not have ruled off till now..

I am sure many knows the funny fairytale story of sati practice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sati_(practice)

Satī was a social funeral practice among some Indian communities in which a recently widowed woman would immolate herself on her husband’s funeral pyre.The practice had been banned several times, with the current ban dating to 1829 by the British.

The term is derived from the original name of the goddess Sati, also known as Dakshayani, who self-immolated because she was unable to bear her father Daksha's humiliation of her (living) husband Shiva.

It seems Brahmins were forbidden from the practice by the Padma Purana reference. Aah nice escape by brahmins in those days!

As Islam established itself in the subcontinent, opinions about sati changed and it was increasingly regarded as a barbaric practice. The earliest known governmental efforts to halt the practice were undertaken by foreign Turkic rulers, including Muhammad Tughlaq.

So I am sure everyone knows that there is no need or no compulsion to participate in discussions and only if it comes from within people engage in those and it is really funny that they then try to blame on the other side for making them part of those discussions..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:50:46 PM by prasanth_ramana_maharshi »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
Dear Sri Prashant,

I do not have anything to respond over your observations excepting to say, kindly discern who is it that see parroting, you are only presenting your own self at your expression, Yad Bhavam tad Bhavati, if you see it as parrotting, it is parrotting, if you see it as introcpecting, it is introspecting! What you say (the 2 ways) holds good to the other party to the discussion as well.

The views you have presented on Sati is highly insensitive!

The original practice of Sati cannot be grasped by little minds with worldly wisdom. It is one of the most holy acts ever possible by a human endeavor, worldly wisdom limits itself to flesh and blood, does not look beyond this body! This is yet another classic example of expressing without making proper due study on the said topic, and is as good as simply parrotting what is found in the internet in various sites. I make it clear that I do not endorse the forcible sati practices. But in those days, such was the liberty and respect for human endeavor, Please read Uttara Ramayana, where Sita had to jump into fire to prove her chastity. What do you have to say? Like that Ram Jethmalani, people will only find fault in these things! There is a saying in tamil - "Arandavan Kannukku Irundathellam Pei". Meaning - "For someone who is terrified, everything dark will be a ghost"

The wikipedia reference you have used is highly imperfect and insensitive reference to use and is not credible enough to quote in quest for discernment of truth.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2012, 09:35:11 PM »
Friends,
Here is another saying of Sri Yukteswar:
"Wisdom is not assimilated with the eyes, but with the atoms. When your conviction of a truth is not merely in your brain but in your being, you may diffidently vouch for its meaning.
The rishis wrote in one sentence profundities that commentating scholars busy themselves over for generations. Endless literary controversy is for sluggard minds. What more quickly liberating thought than ‘God is’ - nay, ‘God’?
But man does not easily return to simplicity. It is seldom ‘God’ for an intellectualist, but rather learned pomposities. His ego is pleased, that he can grasp such erudition."

Autobiography of a Yogi.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2012, 12:28:09 AM »
What you say (the 2 ways) holds good to the other party to the discussion as well.

Nagaraj garu,

yes agreed and surely it holds good to the other party as well sir and no doubts about it.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:43:48 AM by prasanth_ramana_maharshi »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »
I wanted to complete the Tripura Rahasya conversation, that i had intended to post in the same thread in the recent past, but the series of post got diluted with various other discussion.

47. There was one by name Kahoela, among those who were thus sunk. His son Ashtavakra, having heard of his father’s fate, hastened to Janaka’s court and challenged the debater skilled in fallacy. The masquerader was now defeated and straightaway condemned to the sea by the young avenger. Then Varuni threw off his mask in the court and restored back all the men formerly drowned in the sea. Kahoela’s son was now puffed with pride and behaved offensively before the assembled court. The pandits were made to feel mortified before the youth.

51-52. Just then, a female ascetic appeared in their midst, to whom the offended assembly looked for help. Encouraging them in their hopes, the charming maiden with matted locks and hermit’s clothes was highly honoured by the king and she spoke in sweet and yet firm tones:

53. Oh child! Son of Kahoela! You are indeed very accomplished, for these Brahmins have been rescued by you after you defeated Varuni in debate.

54-56. I want to ask of you a short question, to which please give a straight answer, explicit and unreserved. What is that condition reaching which there will be all-round immortality; knowing which all doubts and uncertainties will disappear; and established in which all desires will vanish? If you have realised that unbounded state, please tell me directly. Being approached by the ascetic, the son of Kaheola replied with confidence:

57-58. I know it. Listen to what I say. There is nothing in the world not known to me. I have studied all the sacred literature with great care. Therefore hear my answer.

59-63 What you ask is the primal and efficient cause of the universe, being itself without beginning, middle or end, and unaffected by time and space. It is pure, unbroken, single Consciousness. The whole world is manifested in it like a city in a mirror. Such is that transcendental state. On realising it, one becomes immortal; there is no place for doubts and uncertainties, as there is none at the sight of a reflection in a mirror; there is no more reason for ignorance as at the sight of innumerable reflected images; and there will be no more room for desire, because transcendence is then experienced. It is also unknowable because there is no one to know it, besides itself. Ascetic! I have now told you the truth as contained in the scriptures.

64-71. After Ashtavakra had finished, the hermit spoke again: Young Sage! What you say, is rightly said and accepted by all. But I draw your attention to that part of your answer where you admitted its unknowability for want of a knower outside of consciousness; and also that its knowledge confers immortality and perfection. How are these two statements to be reconciled? Either admit that consciousness is unknowable, is not known to you, and thus conclude its nonexistence; or say that it is, and that you know it — and therefore it is not unknowable. You evidently speak from second-hand knowledge, gathered from the scriptures. Clearly, you have not realised it and so your knowledge is not personal. Think now — your words amount to this: You have a personal knowledge of the images but not of the mirror. How can that be? Tell me now if you are not ashamed of this prevarication before King Janaka and his assembly. Being thus reprimanded by the ascetic, he could not speak for some time because he felt mortified and ashamed; so he remained with bent head thinking it over.

72-73. However, the Brahmin youth could not find any satisfactory answer to her question, so he submitted to her in great humility: O Ascetic! Truly I cannot find the answer to your question. I submit to you as your disciple. Pray tell me how the two scriptural statements are to be reconciled. But I assure you that I have not told a deliberate lie, for I know that any merits a liar may have are counteracted by his lies so that he is condemned as unworthy.

74. Thus requested, the ascetic was pleased with Ashtavakra’s sincerity and said to him, in the hearing of the assembly:

75-84. Child, there are many who being ignorant of this sublime truth, live in a state of delusion. Dry polemics will not help one to Reality, for it is well guarded on all sides. Of all the people now assembled here, no one has experienced Reality, except the king and myself. It is not a subject for discussion. The most brilliant logic can only approach it but never attain it. Although unaffected by logic coupled with a keen intellect, it can however be realised by service to one’s Guru and the grace of God. O thou who art thyself the son of a Sage, listen to me carefully, for this is hard to understand even when hearing it explained. Hearing it a thousand times over will be useless unless one verifies the teachings by means of investigation into the Self with a  concentrated mind. Just as a prince labours under a misapprehension that the string of pearls still clinging to his neck has been stolen away by another and is not persuaded to the contrary by mere words but only believes when he finds it around his neck by his own effort, so also, O youth, however clever a man may be, he will never know his own self by the mere teaching of others unless he realises it for himself. Otherwise he can never realise the Self if his mind is turned outward.

85. A lamp illumines all around but does not illumine itself or another light. It shines of itself without other sources of light. Things shine in sunlight without the necessity for any other kind of illumination. Because lights do not require to be illumined, do we say that they are not known or that they do not exist? Therefore, as it is with lights, thus are things made aware by the conscious self. What doubt can you have regarding abstract consciousness, namely the Self? Lights and things being insentient, cannot  be selfaware. Still, their existence or manifestation is under no doubt. That means they are self-luminous. Can you not similarly investigate with an inward mind in order to find out if the all-comprehending Self is conscious or not conscious? That Consciousness is absolute and transcends the three states (wakefulness, dream and deep sleep) and comprises all the universe making it manifest. Nothing can be apprehended without its light. Will anything be apparent to you, if there be no consciousness? Even to say that nothing is apparent to you (as in sleep) requires the light of consciousness. Is not your awareness of your unawareness (in sleep) due to consciousness? If you infer its eternal light, then closely investigate whether the light is of itself or not. Everybody fails in this investigation however learned and proficient he may be, because his mind is not bent inward but restlessly moves outward. As long as thoughts crop up, so long has the turning inward of the mind not been accomplished. As long as the mind is not inward, so long the Self cannot be realised. Turning inward means absence of desire. How can the mind be fixed within ifdesires are not given up? Therefore become dispassionate and inhere as the Self. Such inherence is spontaneous (no effort is needed to inhere as the Self ). It is realised after thoughts are eliminated and investigation ceases. Recapitulate your state after you break off from it, and then you will know all and the significance of its being knowable and unknowable at the same time. Thus realising the unknowable, one abides in immortality for ever and ever. I have now finished. Salutations to you! Farewell! But you have not yet understood my words because this is the first time you have heard the truth. This king, the wisest among men, can make you understand. So ask him again and he will clear your doubts. When she had finished, she was honoured by the king and the whole assembly, and then she instantly dissolved in air and disappeared from human sight. I have now related to you, O Rama, the method of Self-realisation.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »
To all who participated in this particular topic:

Seeing the title important teachings of Tripura Rahasya,  I wanted to read the main points covered in that scriputure.

So I clicked the link.

No hard feelings please --  now my head is simply whirling going through this discussion of Tripura Rahasya. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »

No hard feelings please -- now my head is simply whirling going through this discussion of Tripura Rahasya.
:) This is the problem you land up with when you try to study some important Scriptures / Text on your own without the help of a proper Guru .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »

No hard feelings please -- now my head is simply whirling going through this discussion of Tripura Rahasya.
:) This is the problem you land up with when you try to study some important Scriptures / Text on your own without the help of a proper Guru .

Salutations to Bhagawan