Author Topic: Important teachings of Tripura Rahasya  (Read 27333 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Important teachings of Tripura Rahasya
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 10:21:02 PM »
Friends,
It is better to serve and savour the words of Great ones like Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Bhagavan as has been made available by Great Devotees who were so blessed.The Moment we try to interpret,we add our confusion only.Suffice it to say that even such a Great soul like Swami Vivekananda hesitated to talk on sri Ramakrishna and his words.Here is an excerpt from the Dairy of a Disciple,Sarat Chandra Chakravarthy:

Disciple: Why do you not preach Shri Ramakrishna as an Avatara? You have, indeed, power, eloquence, and everything else needed to do it.
 Swamiji: Truly, I tell you, I have understood him very little. He appears to me to have been so great that, whenever I have to speak anything of him, I am afraid lest I ignore or explain away the truth, lest my little power does not suffice, lest in trying to extol him I present his picture by painting him according to my lights and belittle him thereby!

Every sincere aspirant has a great deal to learn from the words of Swamiji.We have to recognize the wisdom of the Great devotees who have preserved the words of the Great ones as they have heard it and have faithfully passed it on for posterity.
To think that one is wise enough and has the capacity to interpret the 'True Meaning' of the teachings is an exercise in vanity,and this is something that an earnest aspirant will eschew.
Namaskar. 

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, It is indeed interesting that You have so much against jnana and selfinquiry. Having in mind that it is a site dedicated to Bhagavan Ramana. What is the problem with that if someone chose jnana? You can have preferences to bhakti,but You cannot trow away power of jnana and force bhakti on anyone. I use both,so i love both,but i have noticed that You have something against jnana. And i believe,they are in essence one and the same.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »
Jewell,
"that You have so much against jnana and selfinquiry. Having in mind that it is a site dedicated to Bhagavan Ramana. What is the problem with that if someone chose jnana?"

Where did I say what you have said?

Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, You didnt said directly. But it is a impression,came from this post,and all other posts. It is obvious that You have preferences toward bhakti,and on other hand,dont like jnana. Many quotes from Sri Ramakrishna contain exactly that. 'Jnana is not for Kali yuga. Man are to much after woman and gold. God cannot be realised untill atachment toward woman and gold is there. Bhakti is path for Kali yuga... ' Sri Ramakrishna said all that,but You put those quotes all the time. And it is not problem with what You love,and what Paramhansa said,but in that,that You dont have much respect for jnana. Sure,it is my impression only.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 11:43:29 PM »
Jewell,
Bhakti alone can be shared and talked about.Jnana is not a matter of Discussion.Both Bhakti and Jnana are ultimately the same.I have already explained it.
Thoughts about Jnana are pure speculation and serve to boost the ego only.This is the reason behind Sri Ramakrishna saying what he has said.
This is also the Reason why sri Bhagavan advocated self-enquiry and never encouraged any Discussion on what Jnana is.
We need to clearly bear in mind that sadhana is about effacing the Ego.Is this Bhakti or Jnana?
Now tell me whether I am against what?
Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 12:00:47 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi, I dont agree. Can You tell me in which category can we put this conversation,or 80% of conversations in the forum? Bhakti? How is that that about jnana we cannot talk. What is the need for Vedas,and all sacred books. They explane nature of God,and Reality. Is that not jnana? Vivekananda gave whole lecture on all yogas,including jnana. How can we talk about bhakti? We can talk on feeling and not on knowledge?? Bhakti is in heart,it is a feeling,a matter of being. The fact is,all paths are interqelated,and we all go through all in some point.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
Jewell,
Here are a Few excerpts from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna where the Master clearly explains what it means:

"The bhakta feels, 'O God, Thou art the Lord and I am Thy devotee.' This 'I' is the 'ego of bhakti'. Why does such a lover of God retain the 'ego of Devotion'? There is a reason. The ego cannot begot rid of; so let the rascal remain as the servant of God, the devotee of God. "You may reason a thousand times, but you cannot get rid of the ego. The ego is like a pitcher, and Brahman like the ocean-an infinite expanse of water on all sides. The pitcher is set in this ocean. The water is both inside and out; the water is everywhere; yet the pitcher remains. Now, this pitcher is the 'ego of the devotee'. As long as the ego remains, 'you' and 'I' remain, and there also remains the feeling, 'O God, Thou art the Lord and I am Thy devotee; Thou art the Master and I am Thy servant.' You may reason a million times, but
you cannot get rid of it. But it is different if there is no pitcher."

Discussion and Sharing is possible only if the 'pitcher' is there-This is Bhakti.When the 'Pitcher' is not there ,it is jnana,and it cannot be talked about.
To talk about the Pitcher not being there is a contradiction;better to talk about the Expanse of water on all sides-This is Bhakti.This would automatically remove the image of the Pitcher!
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
Jewell,
We need not define a percentage,but a majority of the discussions are useless and no one cares to even take a second look!Only the words of the Great ones have a lasting value.To dwell on them is Bhakti.To share them is Bhakti.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi, Sharing is needed when ego is there,not after it. Where is the need for jnana if i am realised? And do You think jnanis disapear in space when they attain? What was Bhagavan,if not jnani? And what was His love toward Arunachala,if not bhakti? Why division? It is irrelevant what Paramhansa said,but what is Your experience. My is,i can talk about jnana. I am doing it just now. You talk that there need to be ego for talk. I agree. But,how did all jnanis talk? Like Nisargadatta,who was verx expresive.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 12:32:50 AM »
Jewell,
As Sri Bhagavan said-Bhakti jnAna MAta-Bhakti is the Mother of Jnana.Bhakti begets Jnana.
There are no jnAnis;there is jnAna.We talk of jnAnis ,as if they continue to have the 'Ego' like we imagine.This is not so.
Now you are bringing forth too many mixed ideas-Did Sri Bhagavan say that he is a jnAni and not a Bhakta?These are how the ordinary people categorize him.
My experience is that one can only talk about ajnana and describe what it is.One cannot talk about Jnana.
What do all Jnanis talk about-They only question the 'I' and its associations.All the Talks are just variations of this single theme.Nothing much to talk about.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi, What is jnana,according to You? Is it knowledge about Reality jnana? They all explane reality in some way. And they explane what is not Reality. Is that not jnana too? I believe You take Truth to be jnana. And how that can be? The Truth is beyond jnana and ajnana. For the Truth there is no jnana,no ignorance,no ego. Jnana is there,like teaching only until ego is there. And bhakti too. If You truly believe that bhakti is enuf,why need to enlighten me,and why need for so much knowlege? And why is the need for existence of jnana,like metod anyway,if its of no use?

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 12:51:52 AM »
Ramana Mahashi's Advice To a Vaishnavite

One Sri Vaishnavite asked him, what should he do to realize Narayana.

Maharshi : You pray to him and meditate on him.

Devotee: After that, what will happen?

Maharshi : You will go to Narayana and be in his august company with other such devotees, singing his glory.

Devotee: After that, what will happen?

Maharshi : If Narayana is quite pleased with you, he will call you one day, very close to him and tell you: Please enquire Who am ?

Devotee: I can do that even here!

Maharshi : And that is what I want you to do here and now!

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 12:53:27 AM »
27-6-46

Devotee: According to the Vaishnavite teaching one must do kainkaryam or service to God.”

Bhagavan replied rather sarcastically: “So God can’t get on without their services? On the contrary, God asks: ‘Who are you to do service to Me?’ He is always saying: ‘I am within you; who are you?’ One must try to realize that and not speak of service.

Bhagavan added, “In the old days these Vaishnavites used to come and advise me to undergo a samasanam but I used to keep silent.”

Bhagavan continued to speak of the Dvaitism of the Vaishnavites and quoted the Nammalvar song the gist of which is: “not knowing myself,I went about saying ‘I’ and ‘mine’. Then I discovered that ‘I’ was ‘You’ and ‘mine’ was ‘Yours’, oh God.”

He said: “This is clear Advaita, but these Vaishnavites would give it some interpretation to make it accord with their feeling of duality.They hold that they must exist and God must exist, but how is that possible? It seems that they must all remain for ever doing service in Vaikunta, but how many of them are to do service and where would there be room for all these Vaishnavites?”

Bhagavan said this laughing, and then, after a pause, he added
, “On the other hand, Advaita does not mean that a man must always sit in samadhi and never engage in action. Many things are necessary to keep up the life of the body, and action can never be avoided. Nor is bhakti ruled out in Advaita.

Shankara is rightly regarded as the foremost exponent of Advaita, and yet look at the number of shrines he visited (action), and the devotional songs he wrote.”

Source: DAY BY DAY WITH BHAGAVAN From the Diary of A. DEVARAJA MUDALIAR

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 01:14:29 AM »
I completely agree with those words,from begining to the end. And,truly,that is Advaita in true sense. Jnana and bhakti are interrelated,and coexist both without division. One and the same.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 01:27:05 AM »
Jewell,
What do we actually need?What is the aspiration?Is it not for peace and love?To aspire for this is Bhakti.Do we need a reason for this?Is it not natural?
This alone if pursued sincerely is enough-There is nothing besides this.This alone is perceived as the core of our being and this automatically puts us in touch with the essence in all.
You may ask -Why then the need for jnAna way?It is simply because not all are blessed with  the depth and intensity of aspiration and the simple faith that is called for.Either it is there or not there.What to do?One then has no other way but to take recourse to questioning the ways that stifle this sponatneity;the ways of conditioning brought about by the strongly ingrained sense of 'I' and 'Mine'.In the process by shedding the conditioning,one discovers the spontaneity that is at the core of our Being.Truly speaking there is nothing much to know;only the will has to be there to shed the wrong conditioning.
Eventually ,as pursuers of Self-enquiry will know that the approaches coalesce as the sadhana intensifies.
The Basic elements are Discrimination and Dispassion and these are common to both Bhakti and Jnana approaches.
Namaskar.