Author Topic: Work and Sadhana  (Read 1251 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Work and Sadhana
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
Graham Boyd, the Administrator of the Forum, has written a small
artilce in the Centenary Volume of Bhagavan Ramana's Advent, 1996.
He was asked to take image restoration of archivel photographs
of Bhagavan Ramana for the Centenary Volume. 

He says in that article a few lessons had been learnt from that work for his benefit of Sadhana.

1. ".... I thought I had acquired  the skill in the art of image restoration and that I could consequently earn a livelihood from it (in addition to carrying out this sadhana); little did I comprehend that there is no room in sadhana for worldly ambition and that any such idea destroys in an instant the merit of service to the Guru... Bhagavan's Grace is always with me and with everyone else and when I am with His Grace, the work goes well but when I think that I have some part to play in it, then all I can add to the work is interference and error. This is the first lesson of service."

2. The second lesson is patience - unlimited patience.... real meaning of patience - endurance without anticipation is real patience and everything prior to this was a fake.

3. The third lesson is dispassion. Dispassion in the specific work followed by passion in the remaining time of each day is passion
in everything.  Dispassion ... means always standing at the back
of the queue and never seeking to reach the front.  The work must
therefore be done because it is there to do and not for any overt
or covert motive, not even the idea of service to the Guru, for this
also entails ego.

4. The final lesson is surrender.  Surrender is either total or not at all and this is the hardest of all the lessons to put into practice.

These are the qualities necessary for genuine Sadhana.

(Source:  Image Restoration and Sadhana. Graham Boyd.  From
the Centenary Volume of Bhagavan Ramana's Advent, 1996.)

Arunachala Siva.