Author Topic: Vasanas and the pursuit in Self abidance - 19  (Read 1426 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Vasanas and the pursuit in Self abidance - 19
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »
Verse 1131 of Guru Vachaka Kovai:

The dualistic agitation and bewilderment of mind will never arise without the ego-nature, the "I am the body" idea, being present within. Consequently those great ones in whom the Vasana of the ego-mind has died will not experience, even in their dreams, mental agitations by getting caught in delusion created by the duality.

Verse 1132 of Guru Vachaka Kovai:

The many lowly species, such as four legged animals, birds and so on, live through minds that are constantly agitated Sankalpas (thoughts and intentions).  He alone truly lives whose mind, shining with the light of Jnana lives not through any thought, but only through mere Being.

{A few days back, some illustrious friends in the Forum asked me whether animals and birds have any minds.  Muruganar has succinctly answered this point.}

Verse 1133:  A person who is present in the assembly of those listening to a puranic exposition, but who has actually directed his mind to some object far, far away, in truth, not heard any of the exposition, despite having appeared to have listened to it.  Likewise, those with minds whose Vasanas have died, though they may appear to perform many actions, with their attention on them, in truth, have not done any of them.

{Once there was a musical concert of Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar and party in the Old Hall.  Iyengar had come to Arunachaleswara temple for a concert, and he was asked to perform a concert in front of Bhagavan Ramana.  The concert lasted for two hours.  In fact the evening dinner was delayed.  After it was over, the musician and others were given sandal paste and tambul and seen off.  Some one asked Bhagavan Ramana:  "Bhagavan!  How was the concert?"  Bhagavan said:  What do I know?  They all came and sat and started. That is all I know.  After that, the 'man' inside has swallowed 'me'!"}

(Source: Guru Vachaka Kovai, Muruganar. Tr. David Godman and others.)

Arunachala Siva.