Author Topic: Vasanas and pursuit in Self abidance - 17  (Read 1327 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Vasanas and pursuit in Self abidance - 17
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »
Verse 677:-  The benefit that arises from shining, pure, auspicious
Vasanas exists only until the impure, inauspicious Vasanas perish.
The Vasana-free state in which the mulititude of both types of Vasanas havfe perished is indeed the immaculate state.

Bhagavan:  The thoughts are only Vasanas, (predispositions), accumulated in innumerable births before.  Their annihilation is the aim.  The state free from Vasanas, is the primal state and eternal state of purity.  (Talks No. 80)

"The conversation then turned on Vasanas.  Sri Bhagavan said that good tendencies and bad ones (suvasana and kuvasana) are concommitant -- the one cannot exist without the other.  May be the one class predominates. Good tendencies (suvasana) are cultivated and they must also be destroyed by Jnana. (Talks 384)

Verse 757: The mind will also be stilled through restraint of the breath  but only as long as the breath is restrained.  When the breath comes out, the mind too will run out and roam around, coming under the sway of previously accumulated Vasanas.

This is from Who am I?

Verse 761:  By the unceasing practice that comprises either unremitting japa or delight-bestowing meditation on a divine form, accompanied by dietary discipline, the accumulated Vasanas will perish, the mind will become one pointed and it will gain strength.

(Bhagavan Ramana has given the example of elephant holding a chain on its trunk and moving here and thither, in Who am I?)

Verse 841:  The practice of labelling a mind as either good or bad is only based  on the auspicious or inauspicious Vasanas that dominate it.  But you should know that the mind that conducts itself in two different ways, good and bad, is only one mind, to those who know it as it really is.

(Bhagavan Ramana has given this in Who am I?)

(Source: Guru Vachaka Kovai, Muruganar, Tr. David Godman and others.)

Arunachala Siva.