Author Topic: Vasanas and pursuit in Self abidance - 16  (Read 1354 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Vasanas and pursuit in Self abidance - 16
« on: March 05, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
Please treat the second 14 as 15.

Muruganar says about Upasana, worship next.

Verse 510: Those fortunate ones who have beheld in their Heart, the flowery lotus feet of the Lord that glow with transcendent purity,
will shine as Jnana, full of divine lustre, as their polluting inauspicious proclivities (Vasanas) are reduced to nothing.

Verse 511:  .... Only the worship that causes those divine qualities
to shine out in abundance, within a short period of time, has the power to bring about the salvation of the soul.

Muruganar then speaks about indirect knowledge (Paroksha jnana)
and direct knowledge (Aparoksha jnana).

Verse 529:  The triple torment (tapatraya), of Jivas will become extinct only through the direct and authentic experiential knowledge of the Self wherein the Vasanas of the deluded mind have died.  The torment of Jivas can no more end through false, indirect knowledge than the burning and thirst of the body by the water of a mirage.

Bhagavan Ramana also says the same thing in Upadesa Saram, Verse 27.

Verse 671:  (Here, Muruganar gives the idea of Bhagavan Ramana as found in Who am I?).  "I am not the fleshy body, the prana, (the vital breath that animates the body), the organs (of action and cognition), nor the mind, the intellect and the ego.  Nor am I the form of nescience (sleep), that is filled with dense latent Vasanas and which is devoid of action and objects (of perception).

Verse 675: You should go beyond meditating at specific periods of the day and continuously practise Self abidance, at all times.  This
"shaving" of the hairs, which are the itching Vasanas, so that they do not sprout (as thoughts) through the brain, is the excellent (and true) shaving of the head (that is prescribed for Sannyasins).

Bhagavan Ramana says in Verse 85, Aksharamanamalai:

How wonderful it is that you have shaved my head clean, O Arunachala, and are now dancing a joyous dance in the Heart's
vast empty space!  (Mottai atithu ennai....)

Muruganar in his commentary on Aksharamanamalai, also says that 'shaving of the head' is the destruction of Vasanas.         

(Source: Guru Vachaka Kovai, Muruganar. Tr. David Godman and others.)

Arunachala Siva.