Author Topic: Vasanas and pursuit of Self abidance  (Read 1400 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Vasanas and pursuit of Self abidance
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:04:49 PM »
We are all the Self.  But all of us do not realize the Self, regardless
of our pursuits.  Only hypochrites would say that I am ever the Self, I have no thoughts, I have no ego and I have no Vasanas.  These
are there very much there, nevertheless.  Even one's tireless Sadhana cannot confer him Self abidance, unless there is Grace of Guru.  Bhagavan Ramana says in Arunachala Stuti Panchakam, "I am like a frog near the lotus, in the pond, even when the lotus is fully bloomed, I cannot taste its honey.  Self Abidance is like that.
We may always be the Self, but we are not self realized.  Bhagavan says in the same poem:  "Make me a honeybee, to taste your honey...."  The act of transforming a frog into a honey bee, is the grace of Guru.

Muruganar says in Verse 275 of GVK:

Those who are yoked by samsara by the twin karmas (good and bad) that arise through ignorance, the powerful dense delusion, suffer.
The devotion and longing they feel for the grace of the Guru, who
has taken responsibility for them, is alone the medicine for dispelling their mental anguish.

In Verse 276, Muruganar continues:

The demeaning good and evil karma of devotees originates from activities prompted by the desire and aversion that arise through
Vasanas.  He alone is the true Guru, who dispels their suffering and bestows the bliss of liberation upon those, who, tossed about by the power of their karma, seek refuge in him.

In Verse 277, Muruganar further says:

Since his glance transmutes the rusty iron that is the Jiva into the gold that is taint-free Jnana-Swarupa, the grace-bestowing eyes of the Guru-Lord are potent alchemical substance that transmutes by a mere glance.  Therefore, search thoughtly to eradicate your impurity, and worship him to earn his glance.

{ Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam:  "Idai Maruthu,
adhanil, Padima ap padam vaitha parisum....."  (I dwell in your indescribable bliss of grace, as you placed your feet at Tiruvidaimaruthur..}

(Saint Manikkavachagar further says in Tiruvembavai, "After His
conferal of Grace, what if, if Sun rises in east or in any other direction? What do I care?}

(Source: Muruganar, Guru Vachaka Kovai. Tr. David Godman  &
Others.)

Arunachala Siva.