Author Topic: Sri Rama Hridhayam --- Sri Rama's Teachings to Hanuman  (Read 6271 times)

srkudai

Sri Rama Hridhayam --- Sri Rama's Teachings to Hanuman
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »
Hi Friends,
        Sri Rama Hridhayam appears in Adhyatma Ramayana where Siva tells Parvathi about the philosophy behind sri Rama's Life. Parvathi asks Siva to explain to her why Sri Rama who was none other than Paramatman was suffering like ordinary mortals. If he was under the spell of maya, how is he different from an ordinary jiva, she questions Siva. And Siva explains to her the fundamental essence of Truth.

While explaining Siva quotes Sri Rama's teaching to Hanuman ... the Teaching is called Sri Rama-Hridayam. Its at once condenced essence of all vedanta. Sri Rama explains to Hanuman that There is just one Consciousness ... but just as the one Akasha [space] is seen as three : the absolute space, the space conditioned by a jar and the space reflected in a water body ... so too, the Consciousness is seen as Pure Consciousness, consciousness associated with the Buddhi or intellect and  the Reflected consciousness.

Sri Rama further goes on to explain ...

Kartutvam or doership is superimposed on the Pure Consciousness due to its association with the Buddhi.
Buddhi and Jivatvam [Jivas] are seen due to ignorance ... where as there is just the Pure Consciousness.

Sri Rama explains to Hanuman that the mahavakya Tat-Tvam-Asi is to be meditated upon ... one has to meditate upon oneself as the Pure Consciousness and through that alone one finds liberation.

This teaching is said to liberate one from all forms of bondage and even great papas like Brahma hatya [killing a brahman] etc.

We shall study this small but very interesting text from Brahmanda purana in this article.

Love!
Silence

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sri Rama Hridhayam --- Sri Rama's Teachings to Hanuman
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:58:06 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Sri Rama represents the eternal teacher and Hanuman is the eternal devotee/disciple.  Nothing satisfies him, better than Rama and and
Rama's words.  And that is why, he is supposed to live as a chiranjeevi, living in the world and listening to all discourses on
Sri Ramayanam, all the time.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
Dear Srkudai and Subramanian,

The chief among the Mantras for the Shaivites is the Panchakshari (5 lettered) mantra, 'Om Nama Shivaya' and 'Om Namo Narayana' for Vaishnavites. Without the letter ‘ra’, ‘Narayana’ would read as ‘Nayana’ that means one without a way (‘gati’); without the letter ‘ma’, ‘Namasivaya’ would read as ‘Nasivaya’ that means inauspicious.

So the jiva akshara (life giving letters) 'Ra' and 'Ma' of these two Mantras are put together to form the Rama Nama!
Anyone chanting this Divine Name thus worships both Shiva and Vishnu at the same time.

I am eager to participate in this devotional journey. Sri Rama is my Ishta Devatha. I love Rama as mush as I love Ramana.

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

You are correct.  Rama and Ramana are one and the same.  Rama,
unlike Krishna, did not do any miracles.  He lived as the best human
being. He cried, he laughed, he got angry (as in Kakasura episode),
he sat motionless, he forgave the unarmed opponent, (as in the case
of Ravana).  Even Vali's killing, was due to Vali's unpardonable sin of coveting another man's wife.  In both the holy names of Rama and Ramana, there is a name called Om Sri Purushottamaya Namah:  They are the best among men.  Krishna did miracles, but Rama did not.  He lived and disappeared as man would do, the best among men.

Once a devotee who was initiated already into Rama mantra, asked Bhagavan, whether he could switch over to Ramana Japa.  Bhagavan forbade him to do so.  He said:  "Why are you thinking Rama and Ramana are different?  Both are one and the same.  I am Aditya,
I am Brahman, says Sandhyavandhana mantra. 

Arunachala Siva.