Author Topic: Suri Nagamma  (Read 12455 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Suri Nagamma
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:04:25 PM »
Suri Nagamma lost her father when she was four.  When she was ten, she lost her mother.  At the age of eleven, she got married
and a year later, she became a widow.

She did not leave her room for months.  She hardly ate and became very week.  She used to read Bhagavatam, Bhagavad Gita and Mahabharata.  She wept through many a night.  An intense desire awoke in her to meet a guru who would accept her as a disciple.
One night she had a dream where she saw a sage seated in the lotus posture on a high pedestal.  He was facing South, with mouna mudra  like Lord Dakshinamoorthy. A thrill went down her spine. When she wanted to stand up, the figure disappeared. She intensely prayed for that guru.   Her prayer was granted and her brother, having visited Sri Ramanasramam, during a pilgrimage, immediately advised her to visit Tiruvannamalai where a saint was living!  She then arrived!

She sat down at her place in the Old Hall and closed her eyes. Ten minutes later, she raised her eyes, she saw Bhagavan Ramana was looking intensely at her. His look penetrated into the deepest core of her existence and all her worries vanished.

Gazing, considering, and touching the body, you cooked me!
O Arunachala!     
                                               - Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai.

Suri Nagamma's search was over. Shortly afterwards, she moved to
Tiruvannamalai and spent the following nine years of her life with
Bhagavan Ramana. She penned the famous Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, covering a period between 1945 and Bhagavan's
Maha Nirvana, in three parts.  She has also written about her reminsicences.

(Source: My reminscences. Suri Nagamma.)

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Suri Nagamma
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
Even I would love to meet them. How blessed they must be. Old devotees interviews have been posted in Ramana Maharshi's website. You may be interested to watch them.

http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/devoteesinterview.html

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 01:07:15 PM »
Dear srkudai, Nagaraj,

It is your post addressed to me. And so I can respond!

Suri Nagamma is not alive.  I think none of the direct devotees,
who were with Him are alive today.  Perhaps, some children like
Mr Ganesan, Mr. Ramanan, Mr. Mani are with us.

You can come by flight from Hyderabad to Chennai or Bangalore.  From any one of these two places, you can travel by car and reach Tiruvannamali, in about 4 1/2 hours.  Tiruvannamalai is equidistant from both Chennai and Bangalore.  For returning, you can adopt the same method.  You can stay in Tiruvannamalai either in three or four star hotels or in the Asramam guesthouses.  The latter requires prior approval from the Asramam authorities.  The Asramam authorities give permission, if guest houses are vacant, for a maximum period of three days.  The simple breakfast and lunch in the Asramam are available if you go in time.

Arunachala Siva.       

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
Sir,

Was reading the recollections of ramanasramam by suri nagamma. What a great lady!! She suffered a lot..even before she came to tiruvannamalai, because of her mental anxiety and her inherent frustation of not having got an opportunity to be with a guru. She had many a health problems because of that. She also did not want much of the family atmosphere and instead wanted to spend her time learning more about divinity. Ofcourse, she did finally get to meet her guru...and stayed under his care until bhagavan passed away.

Prarabdha...it seems does its duty even if your life has been blessed with the association of great saints like bhagavan. Smt. Suri nagamma's health scare continued even after bhagavan passed away. She had many a operation like for a suspected tumour in the abdomen, later suffered a great deal with cancer, was operated upon and so on...

Inspite of her frail health [also maybe due to her sattvic intake, which i presume may not have given much nutrition], she maintained an ashram called 'ramana sadhana' in vijayawada and continued to read her letters and guide all devotees who came during those afternoon satsangs. She had an inherent talent of writing and could write poems very well. On her first visit to bhagavan, she regretted not having brought any fruits but instead was happy to have offered her first poem called 'manasa satakam' to bhagavan.

She was one of those rare souls who liked being in the background. She avoided being in the public eye and this was demonstrated when she politely declined an invite for a public talk on recollection of her time in ramanasramam. Instead she offered to write her memories and her brother read them out at the function.

I, having had met Smt. T.R Kanakammal see so much of her in common with smt. suri nagamma. Their devotion is what people like me should aspire for...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 08:28:37 AM »
Yes.  Suri Nagamma's life is one great wonder.  Even for writing
Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, she had some opposition.  Sarvadhikari did not want her to write anything, after some time.
Bhagavan Ramana kept as usual mum.  But later Sarvadhikari
relented and today we have got 2 volumes of her letters which
are simple (and not pedantic like those of Munagala and others)
but very revealing in regard to Bhagavan Ramana's teachings.

Devaraja Mudaliar used to make fun of Suri Nagamma calling her
as Telugu Secretary of Bhagavan.  Bhagavan Ramana used to refer
any matters regarding Telugu poetry to her.  Like that, Muruganar was His Tamil Secretary, Kavyakanta was His Sanskrit Secretary
and Devaraja Mudaliar himeself was His English Secretary!

Arunachala Siva.

viswanathan

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
This has reference to the query on some of  living old devotees of bhagavan.In this contest ,I wish to bring to the kind attention of members that there is a living devotee  by name Smt.Rajalakshmi  aged 90 who was brought up in the vicinity of  Bhagavan and  was also fortunate to be associated with Seshadri Swamigal & Ganapathy Muni.The devotee's reminiscences have appeared in April 2008 &Oct 2008 issues of Mountain Path titled "My Childhood with Bhagavan".You can go through her reminiscences in Mountain Path.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:50:55 PM »
Viswanathan Sir,

I had read about Smt. Rajalakshmi Ammal, who was amongst the  fortunate few who had blessings of both sri. seshadri swamigal and bhagavan. what a blessed life to be brought up by bhagavan and also be called the 'ashram grandchild' by bhagavan! Incredible story..and makes us wonder what great punya she must have done to deserve a life like this!!