Author Topic: Why Bhagavan Ramana is different from other gurus/Jnanis?  (Read 1686 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Why Bhagavan Ramana is different from other gurus/Jnanis?
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:22:52 AM »
The next thing, that I strike me, is Bhagavan Ramana's attire, dress.
Even in Tiruchuzhi and Madurai days, He was wearing only a short dhoti and possibly a shirt.  After reaching Tiruvannamalai, and after
reporting to Arunachaleswara, He tore off his dhoti and wore a codpiece.  From that time, His dress was only a codpiece. After bath, he used a towel for drying his body.  He never wore any other dress.
I have not read any other gurus/jnanis wearing only a codpiece and living in recent times.  The Sankara math pontiffs wear ochre robes.
Sri Shirdi Sai Baba wore a tattered kupni in his lifetime.  Only Siddhas were naked, as the Tamil books say.  Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam, "O Siva, Naked Lord!"  Euphemistically, the saint says, Siva wears the eight directions as his dress!  The Veera
Saiva Saint of Karnataka, Akka Maha Devi, was wearing tree barks as her waist cloth and hid her breasts with leaves.  She went to meet Allamma Prabhu.  Allmma Prabhu asked Maha Devi:  How come you, who is ever in effulgence of Siva, wear some dress too?  Akka Maha Devi, quipped:  "O Allamma!  It is not for my sake but for the sake of people like you!"  SRK was wearing simple Bengali type dhoti.

Bhagavan Ramana, however never objected to anyone wearing any type of dress.  Westerners came to Him, in full suits.  Even Devaraja Mudaliar was wearing suits initially.  The yogi, the author of
"Autobiography of a Unknown Yogi"  came to see Him, with silken ochre robes!  So, these are the days of silken ochre robes.  But Bhagavan Ramana was different from others.

He, again never wore sandals.  I have shed tears while seeing Him, in photographs with plasters around His ankles, for eczema and blisters.  The feet that was searched by Vishnu, were walking without sandals and developed blisters and eczema.  But we have got gurus who wear sandal wood sandals and give them to devotees for pada pooja!  And this respect, Bhagavan Ramana is different from other gurus and Jnanis.

Arunachala Siva.