Author Topic: Bhagavan, Manikkavachagar and Tiruvachakam - 3  (Read 1759 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Bhagavan, Manikkavachagar and Tiruvachakam - 3
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »
Once a devotee told Bhagavan Ramana:  "I am a sinner.  I do not
perform religious sacrifices etc., Shall I have painful rebirths for that
reason? Please save me."

Bhagavan said in all kindness, "Why do yuy say that you are a sinner?  Your trust in God is sufficient to save you from rebirths.
Cast all burdens on him.  (Talks 30)

Bhagavan then quoted Tiruvachakam, Kuzhaitha Pathu, verse 8.
(The Decad of melting.) of Manikkavachagar.

Robert Butler gives the following verse-translation.

Dog, I am and lower than a dog,
yet to me You showed Your love,
and came Yourself to make me Yours,
This birth and death, maya's delusion,
should be placed under Your supervision,
and I should remain still.
Is it any longer my preoragative
to pass judgement on this?
You who wear an eye upon Your brow!
Put me in a body if You will,
Or place me at Your holy feet!

Tamil Verse starts as:  "Naayir kadaiyay kidanthenai, Nayanthu Neeye atkondai...."

Bhagavan Ramana has also said that even though all the four great Siva Saints have expressed their true experience of the Self in the very first verse of their works, they follow the traditonal practice of denigrating themselves, (for the sake of others).  Bhagavan Ramana has also said about M. Sivaprakasam Pillai's verses, where he denigrated himself, that it is the practice of any saint poets.

(Source: Mountain Path, Aradhana, 2006)

Arunachala Siva.   

Ganesh_b01

Re: Bhagavan, Manikkavachagar and Tiruvachakam - 3
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »
Such verses truly very satisfying, really so compassionate of those may saints to have denigrated themselves just for the sake ordinary people. it gives some hope like even the great saints themselves have also undergone similar experiences like how we have sometimes.

I have always had a question in my mind - In Bhagwans eyes all are realised, all are one, all are part of the supreme Self. Still we feel different from Bhagawan! why is this so. Is it not enough if Bhagawan is realised, as we are all part of him? Why is there a need for us to realise? Bhagawan has also said I am Thou, Thou Art That... by such statements by Bhagawan is it not already understood that we are all part of him, part of our beloved Guru? Why are we feeling separated?

If each one of us has to realise then does not that not differ the actual meaning of Advaita? when everything is only One, why is it that if one realises it is not enough? each one has to realise the Self himself. then there are multiple. not Advaita - Non Dual. There seems to be duality

I know all these are my thoughts playing games. But it has come out

Prostrations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan, Manikkavachagar and Tiruvachakam - 3
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »
Dear Ganesh_b01,

Yes.  Bhagavan Ramana said that in His outlook all are Jnanis and are
Brahma Swarupas.  But why then the difference?  It is like Sun and the images of Sun on various mudpots.  The images are also Sun.
But their position in the mudpot full of dirty water, is like us who are
no doubt the Self, but engulfed by dirt of ego.  When the mudpot breaks and all the dirty water drains out, where the image of the Sun?  The image has merged into Sun.  So we are.  Saint Manikkavachagar says:

I am you and you are I.  But when can I break this dirty hood?

It is the dirty hood, Pollak Kurambai... that makes the difference.

Arunachala Siva.