Author Topic: The facts about Swamimalai.  (Read 3960 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
The facts about Swamimalai.
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:29:18 AM »
Swamimalai, is a village about 8 kms from Kumbakonam, past the
river Kaveri.  It is the fourth Abode of Muruga.  In this place and in
Pazhani, Muruga stays as a bhikshatana, wearing a codpiece and holding a staff.  He is without his two consorts.   The Hill is a small
one, actually there is no natural hill, the hill is man-made, with 60 steps.  On this, Muruga stays in the manner stated above.  The innermost prakara is quite small, about 100 kms covering all the four sides.  When you come down, thirty steps out of sixty, there is a plain area with one more prakara, in the open.  When you come down all the sixty steps, you can find the temple of Siva and Parvati, as Sundareswara and Meenkashi.  There is a big marriage hall here, where weddings take place.

The hill must be quite ancient.  Saint Nakkirar sings about it in his
Tiru Murgatrupadai, which is dated 2nd century AD.  There he says,
that Brahmins chant Vedas all the time, and they remain in wet clothes after bath and chant mantras, and they remain youthful for
48 years of age and then only marry!  Arunagiri Natha sings about this place, in Tiruppugazh and he gives the same idea of brahmins chanting Vedas all the time in the temple. 

There is a Ganapati temple, about 500 metres away on the ground level, after crossing the Kaveri once again.  Here the Kaveri for a change, goes round with a right turn, encircling the temple.  Right turn in Tamil is Valanchuzhi.  Ganapati in this temple, is having his trunk turned right side!  This Ganapati is famous, he is made of sea-foam, no stones, no sands, no metals.  Just condensed sea-foam.
In order to protect this form, there is a stone window, with small holes made in an orderly fashion, so that the strong wind will not blow on the image.  The image does not have any abulations, or flower decking.  You have to see him, through the stone window only.  Perhaps once in a way, they open the window and clean up the inner sanctorum.  The image if just about 1 foot high.

In the olden days, the sculptors before undertaking any construction of temple, will give in writing to the king, that they would do any difficult architecture, but not the stone of window of Tiru Valanchuzhi, the pillars of Tiru Perundurai and spherical 4 tonne
stone in the Big Temple atop the tower, in Thanjavur.

Swamimalai Murugan is incidentally, my family deity.

Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri sings in Sri Ramana Gita, "He is not in Tirupati, (Tirupati Venkateswara is considered Murugan image by archaeologists), not in Tiruttani, not in Swamimalai, but in Arunachala."

Arunachala Siva.         

munagala

• View Profile
Re: The facts about Swamimalai.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »
Some say Tirupati Deity is Murugan and some say it as Tripurasundari.
It is said the deity has long hair and the deity gives darshan with a saree once in a week.

Controversial.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »
Dear munagala,

The Tirupati Venkateswara is shrouded in mystery.  Saint Arunagiri
Natha in his song on Tiruvenkatam, says it is Muruga only.  But
Arunagiri Natha is famous for calling every god as Muruga.  Even
Siva is Murugan for him, the six-faced Siva!  There are certain other
factors too.  Sri Venkateswara is adorned with bhilva leaves and not
with Tulsi leaves.  As you said, there is said to be long hair behind the head of the image.  They say, "the conversion" took place during
Ramanuja's period. But Azhwars like Nammazhwar who lived much before Ramanuja sings Venkateswara as Vishnu only.  It is a historical mystery and religion is not for excavation.  All gods are
one and we have to leave at that.  One of the first three Azhwars,
I do not who, amongst Poyhai Azhwar, Bhutazhwar and Peyazhwar,
sings:  "My father has got fire and hand-drum, He has got conch shell and disc.  He has matted locks and long flowing hair. Both are fit for Him!" 

Arunachala Siva. 

Ganesh_b01

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 05:47:34 PM »
Dear Subramanian and Munagala,

I have read that Sri Adi Shankaracharya has inscribed a Dhana Aakarshana Yantram just before the Lord of Tirupathi. Itseems When he came here, he found the temple in very bad state and without money even for lighting a lamp and since then, the temple has attracted so much riches.

Also, I have heard that Siddhar Boghar has made another statue with Nava Bhushana which is hidden somewhere in Pazhani Malai. No body has been able to find this. But recently, about 3 years back there was some news that this statue has been found but is secretly kept safely by the Government. not sure about all these news and all.

Last year I along with my family visited several temples in central and southern Tamizh Naadu. I found so many old great temples being ignored, with literally not even a penny to buy oil to light lamps in the temple. I became so worried by seeing so many temples ignored. My Heart sank.  I was also not capable to help them. some deditcated Archakars somehow are managing the temple. very pitiable state of those great temples. all those temples have great historical and mythological significances. The state of temples in Tamizh Naadu is worrysome.

Prostrations to Bhagawan