Author Topic: Surrender - the last bastion  (Read 1742 times)

vinita

• View Profile
Surrender - the last bastion
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:51:40 PM »
complete surrender probably is the last bastion. why is it that we cannot surrender completely? why is it that the "i" refuses to be totally decimated?

i think there is some madness to complete surrender. Many of us are not willing to be totally mad. We hang on to some "sanity"....some familiar ground. In surrender the last bastion will collapse and we will have nothing to hang on to. Are we not afraid of that? Are we not afraid of letting go? Of taking a huge jump into an unknown territory?

Bhagwan must have taken that jump when he left home with nothing....completely surrendering to the call. i believe he even tore the single cloth he was wearing keeping only the bare minimum that was necessary and throwing away the rest. he had no care for himself or concern about what the next moment will bring....

We on the other hand always think of tomorrow and try to make ample provisions for it. This concern for ourselves probably limits us. If we surrender completely there would be no limit, no boundaries, no concern for ourselves, no concern for tommorow.....

There are two lines from a qawwali (in sufi tradition) that describe the state of madness / total surrender...

"Ishk jo had se nikal jaye woh bimari hai;
Ishk jo had se na nikale woh adakari hai"

This can be translated as follows:

"Love that crosses the limits / the boundary is like a disease/addiction/madness;
Love that does not transcend boundaries is just a show/sham"

a sincere enquiry has revealed that i am not ready to trancend....not ready to surrender....not ready for madness :-[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Surrender - the last bastion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
Dear vinita,

Total Surrender, Bhagava Ramana says, is as difficult as Self Enquiry.
Both are tough to pursue.  We are all good at partial surrenders.  If
you give me promotion in the office, I shall go to Tirupati, otherwise
no.  Bhagavan Ramana says partial surrenders are okay, but make it a complete surrender.

Draupadi, when she was called to the court by Duryodahana, she first trusted her husbands.  Then, when Dushasana started disrobing her, she knew that her husbands were useless and so she called upon Bhishma.  When this too was of no avail, she started trusting her both hands, to hold on to the saree!  Only when she raised both her hands, and called Krishna, knowing that nothing could help excepting God's inifinite grace,  Krishna's grace started flowing as limitless number of sarees.  One poet sang:

Between Hastinapur and Dwarka, there are thousand miles.
But the sale of sarees is taking place briskly!

Arunachala Siva.       

Ganesh_b01

Re: Surrender - the last bastion
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »
Bhagwan was already realised when He left his house. It was a spontaneous reaction. He has also mentioned that something swept him away without even his knowledge an it pulled him to Arunachala. With partial surrender, if we try anything of such sorts we will only endure the pain more and more. such acts should be so spontaneous that we dont even know what we are doing. In such case we will not be aware of our fith and kin and property or just about anything. Again Complete Surrender or Abiding in the Self, in the last stage is something reached only by the grace of Bhagwan.

Prostrations to Bhagwan