Author Topic: God - with and without form  (Read 2079 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
God - with and without form
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »
He who always meditates on God can only know what is His real Self. Only he knows that God grants His darshan in various forms. He is seen in different states. He has attributes and then He is without attributes. Only he who lives under the tree knows that this quick change bird has different colours, and at times he has no colour at all. The others only discuss, quarrel and trouble themselves.

He is with form and He is formless. What He is like, do you know? Suppose there is an ocean of Sachchidananda (Existence-Knowledge-Bliss) – boundless one. With the cool of bhakti the water of this ocean freezes at places just as water freezes in the shape of ice.  In other words, He takes a concrete form for the devotee. Sometimes He is seen in a body. And when the sun of jnana rises, this ice melts.

- Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Ganesh_b01

Re: God - with and without form
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »
Such wonderful words. I have also read in some upanishad - The Self sees the Self everywhere. What ever we see is the Self alone. The false 'I' gives it various forms. But for the Self the Self is always the Self alone, How does it matter if the false 'I' sees the Self with form or formless. It but IS.

Profound words of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

O Ramana I love you

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:15:27 PM »
I think I got which quote you are referring to.

One thing that Bhagavan Ramakrishna and Ramana wanted was people to get practical experience on spirituality by following the path most suited for them. Book knowledge cannot satisfy man's eternal quest.

On the other hand even a little spiritual experience gives an understanding which is not of the intellect, but of the heart. Then the scriptures really starts making sense.

Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa tried to help people in so many ways, giving instructions most suitable for that person. Bhagavan Ramana has as if compressed the essence of spirituality in a single page.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:27:41 AM »
Dear silentgreen, Ganesh_b-1,

Hindus, as a race are used to worshipping with a form.  Even Christians have later started putting Cross Symbol or Christ's/
Mary's photographs.  Sikhs pray to the form as Holy Book.  In
Buddhist temples, you see a statue of Buddha, in a variety of forms,
laughing Buddha, sitting Buddha and all that.  This is very difficult
to overcome.  During His final years of Bhagavan Ramana, people wre
busy arranging for a sculpture of Bhagavan Ramana!  You can see
that image in front of Mother's Temple today.  Bhagavan Ramana used to quip:  O this Swami will not take garlands, coconuts and camphor.  So they are busy preparing another Swami, who will accept these things tomorrow!

Formless worship comes in maturity.  But it does not matter if you
worship on a Form, so long as your self enquiry/meditation is sincere. 

Everytime I go to Sri Ramansramam, I buy a photo.  Such photos
of Bhagavan Ramana are legion in my house.  There are a few in
home altar, there is one on the high-backed chair, there is one on the teapoy, and there is one cute little own within the pocket edition
of Who am I?, which always remains on my bedside!

Saiva Siddhantis call the form in three types. One is Siva Linga.
The second is Guru and the third is final, the Great Effulgence.
Devotees have merged in Siva with worship of any one or more
of these.

Arunachala Siva.