Author Topic: Self Enquiry  (Read 3513 times)

Ganesh_b01

Self Enquiry
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:59:52 PM »
Sometimes I feel I should sit and spend long time in Self-Enquiry and for me my mind is most quiet only at the night time. I have a desire to spend the entire night in Self Enquiry.

I have some questions: Should I continue the enquiry in spite of restlessness, sleep? I know it is going to be a solid effort for beginners in deep and long meditation. One had I feel I should try and conquer all obstacles and continue and at the same time there is another thought to not strain oneself and continue.

Has Bhagwan told some thing in such context?

SatGuru Paahi Paahi

munagala

• View Profile
Re: Self Enquiry
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:53:22 PM »
Once a devotee asked Bhagavan "I fall asleep when I meditate or enquire my self". Bhagavan replied it was fine. The mind would start doing self-inquiry as soon as it wakes up.

In "Day by Day with Bhagavan" I read that sleep is a hindrance to self-realization.
It says we have to cut down sleeping hours by minimizing physical work and food intake. This would prevent falling asleep during meditation.

Not sure whether this relates to your question.

Regards,
Sambu

Ganesh_b01

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
Dear Sambu,

Bhagwans teaching will some how answer any question. Basically what I understand through Bhagwans answer is to go ahead with meditation and let what ever happen, happen, if I fall asleep, my mind would continue with Self Enquiry as soon as I wake up. It should also mean that as long as I am aware about my state, i.e. when I am sleepy, I need to put a check there and just turn my attention back to Self Enquiry.

At the moment when we try to turn the attention back to Self Enquiry, we will certainly face a lot of hurdles, the body will be demanding to go flat and sleep. Probably I need to try once and see what happens.

Food regulation and minimal work is something I need to work out.

Prostrations to Bhagwan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »
Dear Ganesh_b01,

Bhagavan Ramana has also said that for beginners, a specific allotted
time for meditation/self enquiry, would be ideal. In due course, one
can increase this time, depending upon his other duties.  In due course, it will be continuing meditation, like the montone of thambur in Karnatic music.  It will be there, amongst all the din and sound.
As regards sleep, as Munagala mentioned, you can do meditation/
self enquiry, till you actually fall asleep.  And start again, when you wake up.  Reducing the sleeping hours is also recommended, if you can go with lesser hours of sleep, subject to your age, health and daily work.

Arunachala Siva. 

Ganesh_b01

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:35 AM »
Thanks Subramanian,

By the grace of Bhagwan, I will initially start meditating for fixed period of time and also work out on my food and sleep. I can only writ about it further after few days of actually doing meditation.

Guru Devo Paahi Paahi

Akira

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:03:24 PM »
Tamas guna is dominant at night.
Tamasic dullness is easily mistaken as Sattvic quietness.
So we have to check our mental mood carefully,
whether it is quietness or dullness.

Generally speaking, it is good to meditate in the morning and the evening
when Sattva is dominant, in my opinion.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:49:29 PM »
Dear Ganesh b01,

What happened to you?  Why did you not write anything after February 2009?

Arunachala Siva.