Author Topic: Weeping for Godhead  (Read 1812 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Weeping for Godhead
« on: February 18, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
Many Jnanis and Bhaktas have shed uncontrollable tears, almost
spontaneously, on hearing some 'leelas' of God or poems on Godhead.  Sri Ramakrishna has said: If you can shed tears for God,
to an extent of one tenth of what you shed for wife, children and wealth, you can see God.  Bhagavan Ramana has shed tears and His voice got choked, when He was reading out certain poems/stories
of Tiru Jnana Sambandhar, Manikkavachagar and others.  Crying
for Godhead and not for worldly pleasures or removal of miseries is
a sure way to reach God.  Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiruchadhagam Verse 9.10: "Can I not get You, if I weep?"  In
Tiruvembavai, Verse 7, the saint describes girls weeping for Siva.
In that  song, he says: She melts in tears when she hears "O Southerner!" Siva is the God of Pandya Kingdom, where most of His divine plays took place.  Hence, He is the Southerner!  Esoterically, Siva is the Spiritual North Pole, Sri Dakshinamoorthy, looking at His devotees, coming from South, He is South-looking!

Again in Verse 15 of Tiruvembavai, the girl cries "O My Master!
O My Master!" and His names do not leave her lips.  Her eyes are
shedding tears endlessly.....

There were many devotees of Bhagavan Ramana who could not control their tears when they were in His Presence, or even when they had gone back to their places.    An American devotee, Mrs. Noye was shedding tears in the presence of Bhagavan and after assurance from Bhagavan, that He would be with her even in America, she left Tiruvannamalai half heartedly. Mr. N.R. Krishnamoorthy Iyer used to shed tears whenever he was sitting in the Old Hall.  Bhagavan Ramana used to call him Azhguni Siddhar,
the Weeping Siddha, after a Tamil Siddha's name!

Prof. Vanmika Nathan, an authority in Saiva Siddhantam and a commentator on Tiruvachakam, has called this book of poems as
Gateway to God, through weeping!

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Weeping for Godhead
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
Dear srkudai,

You are very correct.  Many a times, I used to weep when there is some TV show on Manikkavachagar or some devotee, even Krishna
devotee.  There is only daily discourse on 63 Saints, in Sri Sankara
TV, the new one at 6.00 PM.  One illustrious lady talks about one saint per day.  The mere form of that great Siva devotee, the discourser, evokes tears in me.  She narrates the stories extremely well, quoting from Sri Vaishnava concepts also.  My wife chides me
for crying like a woman.  Before God, where is the difference between man and woman? 

Arunachala Siva.   

Ganesh_b01

Re: Weeping for Godhead
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
Tears are the only genuine property which we can closely say is ours, it comes out from the deepest of our hearts of hearts. anything else flowers or anything cannot be said to be ours. The lord is most pleased with tears of love of devotion.

While still in forest, Lord Krishna was pleased with Draupadi's devotion and offered her a boon. Draupadi asked him to bestow on her a lot of troubles so that she can constantly remember him cry out of devotion. She said only during troubled times I am able to remember you with utmost devotion.

Truly would Draupadi have had any trouble at all? when she had fixed her mind constantly on the Lord?

I love you O Bhagwan