Author Topic: Miracles Do Happen  (Read 1288 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Miracles Do Happen
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
Mercedes d' Acosta, is a Cuban-American who came to see Bhagavan
Ramana in November 1938.  She had been to Pondicherry first.  She
was a Hollywood socialtie.  She has written a book titled Here Lies the Heart.  She narrates her first encounter:

" I moved near Bhagavan, sitting at his feet and facing him..... Not longer after this, Bhagavan opened his eyes.  He moved his head and looked directly down at me, his eyes looking into mine. It would be impossible to describe this moment and I am not going to attempt it. I can only say that at this second, I felt my inner being was raised to a new level -- as if, suddenly, my state of consciousness was lifted to a much higher degree.  Perhaps in this split second I was no longer my human self but the Self. Then Bhagavan smiled at me. It seemed to me that I had never before known what a smile was.  I said: 'I have come a long way to see you.'  There was silence.  I had stupidly brought a piece of paper on which I had written a number of questions I wanted to ask him.  I fumbled for it in my pocket, but the questions were already answered by merely being in his presence. There was no need for questions or answers."

Then, she asked Bhagavan Ramana as to whom she should follow.
What about religions, teachers, gurus?

Bhagavan said: "If they help in the quest of the Self.  But can they help? Can religion, which teaches you to look outside yourself, which promises a heaven and a reward outside yourself, can this help you?  It is only by diving deep into the spritual Heart that one can find the Self."

She later wrote the book Here Lies the Heart and it was dedicated
formally in print to Bhagavan Ramana.  It reads:

"To Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi, The Only Complete Egoless World Detached and Pure Being I have ever known."

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana. Boundless Ocean of Grace. Volume No. 3. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.