Author Topic: I AM meditation  (Read 9283 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: I AM meditation
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »
Dear disciple, soham3, munagala and others,

1. For spiritual seekers, Bhagavan Ramana recommended only the Heart Centre.  The feelings of 'effulgence', 'effervescence' (as
the Israeli lady Shian told me in Tiruvannamalai) are felt here.

2.  Heat in crown centre is in the yogic practice.  Bhagavan Ramana
did not recommend this, and said concentrate on the Heart Centre,
by bringing the focus to Heart Centre. 

3. Jerks, insurmountable fear,heat -- all these are the mischief of
ego, which wants supremacy.  One has to put with them or ignore them and proceed further.  I had fear many many times and I used to chant Aruanchala Siva, to arrest the fear.

4. Eventually, the Heart-Centre, also is left and you feel you are
everywhere, fully satisfied, ever vigilant and happy.

Arunachala Siva. 

Disciple

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »
Pranam,

Dear Subramanian R,

What exactly do you mean by the heart centre? If you mean the feeling of the pure "I", than I think we are talking of the same thing.
If you are meaning a physical location in the body or something recalled from memory from a previous experience; than I do not think that can lead to the source of the "I".

Dear Everybody,

In many places in different books, Bhagvan has mentioned that the practise of "Who am I" itself is sufficient to calm the mind. The meditation is neither simple nor difficult. Although Bhagavan has mentioned in places to use the technique of watching the breath; it was to people who were just not able to do the enquiry. I do not see why one should deviate from the enquiry method and come back to it again.

Om shri Ramana

soham3

• External world is shadow of what is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 07:18:26 PM »
One member from another site has corrected me by saying that mindfulness is supplementary to all other spiritual practices meaning  that it should be ingrained & integrated into all other practices. So the earlier opinion that I advanced that mindfulness can be complete & independent practice in itself is wrong.
O Divine, lead me to dizzy heights of sublimity & loftiness

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »
what I experienced witth the question "who am I" is that it can calm the mind totally...but in my case just temporarely..it is like a sledgehammer...and for me I found out that it is better to use something not so unbalancing...

you see after a while I understood that my sadhana was too much effort...to much hardship and effort and hardship is contra-productive in meditation...it is part of the practice but it should be 10% not 90%..

I simply started to sue my mind for meditation, and to do not fight against it...

so I always tune my mind into meditaiton with statements like: I calm down, my body is without tension, my mind calms down, body and mind are at rest....(of course with breacks and mental stillness in between) you will see mind has power, but we use it not correct...

when I feel confortable and when my body-mind is at peace I say something like " Iam the non seeking mind, I need not seek anything, Iam complete, mind resting as mind" usually this makes the shift to this calm and clear state of simply resting as mind...absorbed in self awereness..

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 11:09:12 AM »
Practice of ' who am I ? ' to the exclusion of other practices may make one cynic & lop-sided. Remember the  remarks of  Paul Brunton in his latter day life about Sri Ramana.

munagala

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
Dear Mathias,

You hit the nail on the head by saying "Effort is contra productive in meditation".

Bhagavan in one of his talks says that our effort is only upto the stage where we eradicate all thoughts and be our self ( not the real self).
After that it is upto to the almighty to show up within us.

Regards,
Sambu

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »
Dear munagala, soham3, Disciple and others,

Bhagavan Ramana has mentioned the Heart Centre, two digits to the right side of the midchest.  This location has been prescribed for the seekers, even though the Self is everywhere.  It is like saying that
Siva is everywhere, but you can 'feel' His Presence, more intensively in Arunachaleswara Temple.  Certain 'doubting Thomases' tried to test this truth with Bhagavan Ramana Himself, and when they touched His right chest, they could 'hear' the beating three times at a time, with an interval after the three beatings!   This is the famous sloka "Hrudaya Guhare madhye, kevalam Brahmam matram..."

When the egotistic mind, full of good and evil, curls back into this centre, it becomes Pure Mind.  Mano Nasa is not destruction of mind, but purification of mind or transforming the egotistic mind.  This
lousy egotistic mind, is transformed, like a piece of copper transformed into gold by rasa-vadis of olden days.  This is simple chemistry.  You can transform copper into gold, by adding certain electrons in a particular orbit, that are around the proton in the nucleus.  The atom bombs were first made by transforming Cadmium, a lower metal into Plutonium, the radio active material,
by adding electrons.

This pure mind, Suddha Manas, for the remaining period of life, does pure work, speak pure word that is Truth, and does pure activities like writing poems on nature, godhead and philosophy etc., etc.,  This Pure Mind of a realized person, is a must for his life's activities.  With this, one can work in office, can do computer programming, construct a machine, dam etc., etc. and even a rule a country, as Janaka did.  The word 'mindfulness' need not be any taken in any other sense. It is 'pure-mindfulness.'

Watching the breath, meditation, Heart Centre, all these are only to
do away with other thoughts of objective reality.  When the pure rests in the Reality, its activities are activities of subjective Reality.

Arunachala Siva.

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
Ribhu Gita teaches to drop  'You' and  'I'. Individuations, names, forms and shapes are illusory dreams on the Plenum.

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
I read in the ' I Am Unborn ' by Nisargadatta Maharaj  that he considers the centre of the brain in the body as centre of consciousness, the ‘Brahman aperture’ (Brahma Randhra), where a yogi takes his being and centers himself and breathes words into the whole body. According to him, the centre is the ‘Brahman aperture’; when it disappears, the doctor says ‘it’s all over’. He rejected Ramana's standpoint that it is on the right side of the chest.

Chuck Cliff

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 12:29:05 PM »
What a delightful thread!  You all gave me a wonderful start today -- on the surface, one might think that these were conflicting views and opinions, however, to me it seems everyone is trying to express from their own experience how they try to practice the gift that Ramana left us all.

The "jerks", it seems to me, are easiest explained by the "unwinding" of body tensions.   It is implied in the comments, but I didn't see it explicitly stated, that not everyone has the same experiences, therefore they can be misleading if taken as signposts of progress or something. 

That said, the "Heart Center" that Subramaniam stresses in #24 post, is very dear to me.  Years ago, I called it the "secret heart" and even drew a picture of it to explain to myself what I couldn't put into words, in fact I didn't even know what I was fumbling for -- until this spring when it became apparent through simple grace.  Yes, I know, that point two digits two the right is not a physical place. But, for me, it is the door to the door to a certain place of no time or space -- I perhaps overstate the case, but this where to find the Father (uh, this is meant as a matter of faith, that is holding true to the memories of some modest experiences), to put it in the religious terminology I am most conversant (and comfortable) with.

Aware-Being-Love 
There's a glory in the morning because the earth turns 'round, and a promise in the evening, when the sun goes down.