Author Topic: I AM meditation  (Read 9284 times)

soham3

• External world is shadow of what is inside you
    • View Profile
I AM meditation
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »
While  trying to do this meditation, I often get confused as to where ' I AM ' is exactly located in the human body.  Any body having experience ?
O Divine, lead me to dizzy heights of sublimity & loftiness

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: I AM meditation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:38 AM »
Dear soham3,

In I AM meditation, if a thought "that it is the body" comes, you have to only say I am not, and then proceed further.  If you want
a location inside the body, for the seekers, Bhagavan Ramana recommended the Heart Centre, which is on the right side of the chest.  As you progress further, you will experience, that You or
the Self or the Heart is everywhere.  The finality comes depending
upon the maturity of the seekers.  I used to get this feeling and
I followed the method of chanting Arunachala Siva.... and proceed
further.

Arunachala Siva.     

Disciple

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
Pranam,
Dear Soham3,
Why are you trying to locate the feeling of "I am" in a particular part of the body?
When I do the meditation I try to just keep the attention on the "I". Many times I feel sensations in the heart region or the head, but I ignore them and continue to put my attention only in the "feeling of I".
Sometimes I feel a great heaviness in the heart region.
Most of the times as my meditation goes deeper, my body gives an involuntary jerk which seems to emanate from the heart region, but the result of this jerk is that my concentration is thrown off and I have to start all over again.
Has anybody experienced this and can anybody provide a remedy for this.

Om shri Ramana

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:49:49 PM »
In fact,  during the meditation, I feel my spiritual centre  to be  located a few centi-metres above the crown centre. I also do get physical jerks sometimes, by the way.

Disciple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »
Pranam,
Dear Soham3,
What exactly do you mean by 'spiritual centre"?
How do you handle the physical jerks?

Om shri Ramana

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:35:06 AM »
meditaiton on Iam cannot be done....I cannot meditate on myself, if I could do so, it would not be Iam....because Iam allready complete and totally present as Iam and Iam one, one taste...and one alone..there cannot be two selfes and ramana says this very clear...so Iam-meditation is a 180 degree turn in meditation a total surrender to what is, no effort no technique...

if there need to be a big effort to be who Iam, then it is moving away from Iam not moving towards Iam...

it is due to gace and surrender that I can sometimes sit down and rest as what is: as presence, here there is no center, no points of reference, just open space....boundless, clear and easy, peacefull and still...no movement of energy...I do not have to go somewhere else nor have I to do something, because "Iam"....I feel my body as an energy-knot or something like this...but it is ok I do not try do make the knot go away or loosen up...."I cannot do something Iam"

the trick is to stop with the effort and then effortless meditation is there or zazen (simply sitting)--, no praxis nothing just beeing..I think this is Iam meditaiton...no ego no mind needs any effort to be....it just pretends to do so, but if it is seen as it is, "effortless" then the ego comes to rest, and this is peace, it is not destroyed it just found its place and is at peace with the world....

Maybe these spasms or jerks are signs that the ego wants not surrender or let go of itself (sometimes I experience this when I want to go to sleep, and I know this also from others....so this oculd be one reason)

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »
(1) By my spiritual centre  I mean that whenever I concentrate on a point above  my crown, I get sensations all over my body.
(2) ' Jerks ' stop of their own after some time when energy generated by meditation gets dissipated.
(3) By meditation I mean any activity which removes clogs/cobwebs/mucus/toxins from the mind so that Self may shine unobstructed.

Disciple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »
Pranam,
Dear Soham3,
As far as I have gathered from reading Bhagavan's teachings and personal experience, the concentration or your attention should only be on the feeling of "I". No physical point is involved. Although Bhagavan has mentioned the heart centre it is the result of paying attention to the "I" and not the other way round. That is when you pay attention to the "I" you are led to a physical sensation in the heart region (which has to be ignored by the way). By paying attention to a particular part of the body you cannot come to the "I" thought or find its source. This is the crux of the enquiry method.

Om Shri Ramana

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:33:38 PM »
Bhagawan said that throat is the knot between Matter & Spirit and that the right side of the chest is the spiritual heart which is like a cave from which the 'I' thought emanates. In Bhagawan's opinion, this spiritual cave is the source of the bundle of thoughts called mind with 'I' thought being the first & the primary one of all the thoughts.

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
yes I also know this stuck energy (almost like a wall) in my throat...this came some day along hte path...and it was terrible from time to time....real pain...now it is going better and better each day....and it seems to mirror the spritual progress in a way...

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
In my opinion, it would  be helpful if one practises mindfulness before taking up the ' I AM ' meditation proper.  Mindfulness could consist of simply watching the breath.

munagala

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:48:38 AM »
Exactly. I AM meditation is difficult to practise in the begining.
It would be better to watch the mind or watch the breath or perform japa to reduce the thoughts and be aware what the mind is doing all the time.

Regards,
Sambu

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
meditaiton is not a fixed thing, it is changing...going forewards, going backwads...what ever is neccessary will be done...

so you can start with counting breath....or simply relaxing all muscels, and "talk" to the body center (hara) and breath there and let the body sink into this center..because when the body is relaxed the mind is also relaxed....

but the Iam meditation should be part of every sitting...it gives the sadhana so much more depth...

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 06:47:25 PM »
In my opinion, mindfulness practice done with intense involvement will obviate the need  for  I AM  meditation or indeed any other spiritual practice  and you will surely attain Self-realization.

munagala

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 08:55:45 PM »
I guess we are all talking about the same thing but in different ways.

Step 1: Mind wanders - By any technique comfortable to you try to calm you mind.
Step 2: Develop one pointedness of mind by constant practice of the technique
Step 3: When all thoughts are gone the root thought "I" alone remains. Follow the "I" thought or in other words be AWARE and do nothing with your mind
Step 4: Constant practice of step 3 will melt the EGO and gives rise to the real SELF

Shall we call step 3 as "I AM" meditation or AWARENESS etc?

The toughest part is step 3 as we may have to see a blank or void which gives rise to fear. Also we have to take care not to fall asleep in this step.

This is what I understood about the path of self inquiry. Not by practice  :)
Can some experienced soul here kindly validate my understanding?

REgards,
Sambu