Author Topic: Prostrations (Namaskarams) to Guru and Prasad from Guru  (Read 1379 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Prostrations (Namaskarams) to Guru and Prasad from Guru
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »
On 4th July 1936, when Bhagavan Ramana was descending the Hills, one of the workers just outside the Asramam, stopped work and was about to prostrate before the Master. Then Bhagavan Ramana said:

"To engage in your duty is the true prostration."

The attendant asked: How?

Bhagavan: To perform one's duty carefully is the greatest service to God.  Then smiling, He entered the Hall.

Bhagavan Ramana also chided the practice of men and women going round the Old Hall and doing prostrations to Him, from the four windows in four quarters.  He said that true prostration is the prostration to the Self within.  He has also quoted Ribhu Gita in this connection.  The prostaration means bending of the head and the body, the bending of the ego.  That egoless state can be achieved by prostarating to the Self within.

At lunch, a visitor from Nellore asked for a tiny bit of food as Prasad, from Bhagavan's dish.

Bhagavan Ramana said:  Eat without thinking of the ego. Then what you eat becomes Bhagavan's prasad.

After lunch, He continued humorously:

"If I had given you one morsel of food from my plate, each one would ask for a morsel too.  What will be left for me if I distribute the whole plate of food to others?  So, you see, it is not devotion.
There is no significance in eating a morsel from my plate.  Be a true devotee."

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana. Boundless Ocean of Grace.
Volume No. 3. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.