Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana on Pradakshina (Circumambulation)  (Read 2004 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Bhagavan Ramana on Pradakshina (Circumambulation)
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:47:09 AM »
Pradakshina, the Hindu rite of going around the objects of worship like a Sivalinga or the Hills, is "All is within me."  The true significance of the act of going round Arunachala is said to be as effective as circuit around the world. That means, the whole world is condensed into this Hills. The circuit around the temple of Arunachala is equally good. And the self-circuit that is, turning round and round is as good as the last.  So all are contained in the Self.  The Ribhu Gita says: I remain fixed, whereas innumerable universes becoming concepts within my mind, rotate within me.
This meditation is the highest circuit, pradakshina.

On another occasion, when Bhagavan Ramana was going round the Hills with Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri, at one night, He said to him:

"Nayana!  I find the whole universe, the sun, the moon, the stars and the worlds are revolving around my waist!"  Nayana became speechless!

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana. Boundless Ocean of Grace.
Volume No. 3.  Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana on Pradakshina (Circumambulation)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:56 AM »
Incident Where Ramana Maharshi Asks Ganapati Muni "Who Am I" is as follows

Sri Bhagavan was in the Virupaksha Cave on the Hill. One evening after 7 p.m. they were all coming down the Hill to go round Arunachala. The other devotees had all gone in advance; only Sri Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni was in the company of Sri Maharshi, and they were slowly climbing down the steps from the cave.

Whey they had walked a few steps, all of a sudden Sri Maharshi stopped, and with Him Sri Kavyakanta as well. The full moon was shining bright in the East in the starry sky.Pointing to the moon and the beautiful sky, Sri Bhagavan said: "Nayana! If the sun, the moon, and all the stars have their being in ME, and the Sun himself goes round my hip with his satellites, who am I? who am I?''

This remark of Sri Maharshi made His blessed disciple envisage the Master as the Great Person of the Vedas, as described in 'Sri Rudra,' the 'Purusha Sukta,' and the 'Skamba Sukta,' of the Atharva Veda. He is verily all these, and That beyond; there is nothing that is not He. Sri Kavyakanta later made this revelation known to all the devotees.

Sources:

1) Arunachala Ramana's Volume1 Book
2) http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/publications/at_the_feet_of_Bhagavan.htm

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana on Pradakshina (Circumambulation)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »
Though He was ever in the state of non-dual Consciousness,  Bhagavan
Ramana spoke two things to His devotees, which may be considered as
non-dual but which will pave way for Sat Chit Anandam.  These are:-

1. Pradakshinna of the Hill  -  He advised every one, who are physically
capable to undertake this.

2.  Reading of Ribhu Gita - He has said that even reading without understanding the meaning of even one line, would do a lot of good
as atma vichara sadhana.

Arunachala Siva.