Author Topic: Why different methods for Sadhana?  (Read 1132 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Why different methods for Sadhana?
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:55 AM »
Bhagavan Ramana:  All methods are one and the same in as much as
they all tend to the same goal.

It is necessary to be aware while controlling thoughts.  Otherwise, it will lead to sleep. That awareness, the chief factor, is indicated by the fact of Patanjali emphasizing Pratyahara, Dharana, Dhyana, Samadhi even after Pranayama. Pranayama makes the mind steady and suppresses thoughts. Then why develop further? Because, awareness, is the one necessary factor. Such states can be imitated by taking morphia, chloroform, etc., They do not lead to the moksha because they lack awareness.

Gul and Shirin Byramjee, two Parsi ladies of Ahmedabad, asked this day.  They spoke at night to Maharshi: "Bhagavan!  We have been spiritually inclined from the childhood.  We have read several books on philosophy, and are attracted by Vedanta. So we read the Upanishads, Yoga Vasishta, Bhagavad Gita etc., We do not understand how to realize.  Can you kindly help us towards realization?

Bhagavan:  How do you meditate?

Devotees: I begin to ask myself, "Who am I?", eliminate body as 'not-I', the breath as, 'not-I', the mind, 'not-I' and I am not able to proceed further.

Bhagavan: Well, that is so far as the intellect goes.  Your process is only intellectual.  Indeed, all scriptures mention the process only to guide the seeker to the Truth.  The Truth cannot be directly pointed out.  Hence this intellectual process.

You see, the one who eliminates all the 'not-I' cannot eliminate the "I". To say that I am not this, I am not that, there must be the "I".
This "I" is only the ego or the "I-thought".

Devotees:  Even so, I do not understand. "I" you say is the wrong "I" now. How to eliminate the wrong "I"?

Bhagavan:  You need not eliminate the wrong "I".  How can "I" eliminate itself?  All that you need to do it is to find out its origin
and abide there.  Your efforts can extend only thus far. Then the Beyond will take care of itself.  You are helpless there. No effort can reach it.

Devotees:  If "I" am always -- here and now, why do I not feel so?

Bhagavan:  That is it. Who says it is not felt?  Does the real "I" say it or the false "I"? Examine it. You will find it is the wrong "I". The wrong "I" is the obstruction.  It has to be removed in order that the true "I" may not be hidden. The feeling that I have not realized is the obstruction to realization.  In fact, it is already realized. There is nothing more to be realized. Otherwise, the realization will be new. It has not existed so far. It must take place hereafter. What is born will also die. 

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana., Boundless Ocean of Grace. Volume No. 3. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.