Author Topic: The Poetry and the Godhead  (Read 1306 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
The Poetry and the Godhead
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:36:57 PM »
Prof. K. Swaminathan writes:  How the literature enables us to
enjoy Eternity in time and lifts us from time into Eternity, came out clearly in a dialogue between Dr. U.V. Swaminatha Iyer and Bhagavan Ramana, when the Professor was present.

Dr. U.V. Swaminatha Iyer, is called "Grandfather of Tamil".  It is he who went to village after village in Tamil Nadu in the early 20th century to pick up termite-consumed old palmyra leaves and found out the classical and other texts of Tamil and compiled them into
printed form.  But for him, the Tamils would not have got their
Silappadikaram, Manimekalai, Tolkappiyam and other ancient texts.
Being a devout Brahmin, who would not eat anything outside, he took rice flour, jaggery, salt etc., in his bullock-cart and toured hundreds of miles to complete this monumental task.

This ripe old scholar Iyer, came to Bhagavan Ramana and complained:  "People tell us to give up "Patru" (attachment).
But I am not able to give up Tamil-Patru."  Bhagavan Ramana told him with all compassion: "But who have asked you to give up Siva-Patru or Tamil-Patru?  What is Siva but poetry, the creator and the creation of Ananda?

We all know that Bhagavan Ramana not only permitted and encouraged  Muruganar in his copious outpourings but also often
joined him in playing the grand game of rhyming and chiming in
precious words that double a common joy.  Was He not the sole
begetter of thousands of marvellous poems by Muruganar and so many others?

There is a story that when Muruganar completed Sri Ramana Puranam, the first song of Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai, Bhagavan
helped him to complete the last 300 lines and also titled it as
Sri Ramana Puranam.  When Muruganar wanted to make an
asterik mark for the passages compiled by Bhagavan Ramana,
He told him:  "O, only that portion have I written?  And not other
lines?"  Muruganar shed tears and prostrated.  He removed the asterik mark promptly.

Saiva Saints say: Siva and Tamil are our two eyes!

One another Saint exclaims:  O, He gave me birth, only to sing His glory in exquisite Tamil poetry!

(Source: Largely based on K. Swaminathan's article, Sri Ramana Darshan.)

Arunachala Siva.