Author Topic: Saint Poet Ramalinga Swami  (Read 5828 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Saint Poet Ramalinga Swami
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
Sri Ramalingam was born in Tiruvottiyur in early 19th century.
He was a Siva bhakta in the early years.  He used to sing
about Siva of Tiruvottiyur temple and Sri Rama of Tiruvallur.
He developed devotion to Muruga of Tiruttani and in his younger
days, he used to walk to Tiruttani from Tiruvottiiyur (about 70 kms)
and pray to Muruga there.  Even though he never wore ochre robe,
he was a celibate and ascetic through out his life.  In later years,
he moved to Chidambaram and was praying to Nataraja of Thillai.
Later it graduated into worship of Effuglence as Siva. He left
Chidambram, and was staying in a village called Karunguzhi and
was praying to the Effulgence, the light that was lit in his place which was never put out!  He wrote thousands of verses under the title Tiru Arutpa.  He had great regard for Manikkachagar and other 63 Saints. He has said in one poem:  "O Manikkavachaga ! Who has merged in the Space, when I sing your songs, it is like a mixture of
sugar juice, honey, milk and sweet fruits.  I drink it everyday, without getting satiated.  He wrote about 63 Saints: " I am not able to feed you with my child cut by a sword!* I am not able to lose my youth and become old with conjugal happiness, just because a woman doubted my fidelity!*  How can I get the Feet that were praised by you?"     

(* Saint Siruthonda Nayanar. ** Tiru Neelakanta Nayanar)

Saint Ramalinga Swami, told one day to his disciples, to shut him off in a room, where he would meditate for 48 days.  The disciples did so and on the morning of 49th day, when they opened the room, they found nothing, not even his body!  This was on Makara month,
Pushya star day, on which even today, the devotees celebrate his Maha Nirvana, by lighting a big lamp and chanting.  Thousands are fed on this day.

Arunachala Siva.

Disciple

• View Profile
Re: Saint Poet Ramalinga Swami
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »
Pranam,
Ramalinga Swami used to say that giving Satwic wholesome food to people is the greatest Punya. Also in hindu religion and other religions Annadanam is considered a great Punya.
I was wondering why this is so? There are so many other charities like building a house or a temple, building a well etc. Also spreading the awareness of the spiritual paths also seems to be a great task. But still everywhere I find that Annadanam is extolled to be the best charity.
Can anybody throw more light on this matter.

Om shri Ramana

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »
Dear Disciple,

One can live without clothes, roaming over naked.  One can live
without shelter, sleeping on the temple precincts and roads. But
one cannot live without food, for many days.  Even Bhagavan Ramana started taking some food, from His days in the Hills.
This is one reason why Annadhanam is considered foremost.
To enable the poor live in body and soul together.

Secondly, Annadhanam gives satiation to the eater.  One cannot
eat for two sessions at a time.  However, this is not the case with
clothes and shelter.  One can desire more and more without end.
Twenty shirts and twenty trousers. Since a man may want more,
as if he is going to wear them, all at a time! Women are fond of
any number of saris!  Give him or her one house, he or she will
want another house.  One TV, he will want another one in the bedroom.  One cell phone, he will want another one with camera!
Annadhanam stands unique in this respect.

Old Tamil literature extols a man who gives food, as the Doctor
of the disease of hunger.

Arunachala Siva.     

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
Happy to come across this Old post of Saint Ramalinga Swamigal .
I see lot of similarities between Ramalinga Swamigal and Bhagwan Ramana

1) Both never had a formal Guru
2) Both never wore Ochre robes and were wearing white
3) Both composed the best of their hyms in Classical Tamil .
4) Both addressed God as their Father - Bhagwan Ramana called Father Arunachala and Ramalinga Swamigal called God as My father Arutperum Jyoti Andavar
5) Both have similar Maha Mantras that are used as refrains in their poems .
Bhagwan : Arunchala Siva Arunchala Siva
                   Arunchala Siva Arunachala
Ramalinga Swamigal : Arutperum Jyothi Arutperum Jyothi
                                   Thaniperum Karunai Arutperum Jyothi
6) The Deepam on Arunachala is nothing but Arutperum Jyothi of Ramalinga Swamigal
7) Both of them had high regard for Thiruvachagam , Manicka Vachagar , Jnana Sambandar
so like that one can go on .

But there are some differences also like

1)Bhagwan Ramana was a pure Advaita and Rama Linga Swamigal's Philosophy is something unqiue i.e neither adviata or saiva siddhantha but something in between them .I am really not sure what his real Philosophy is . Can anyone say what his Philosophy is ?
2) Bhagwan Ramana had highest respect for Vedas and Vedic Chanting etc but Rama Linga Swamigal was quite anti Vedic ,anti Brahmin and he had lot of problem with the Chidambaram Temple over the Vedic method of worship there and hence he decided to start his own Temple at Vadalur . The anti Vedic tone of some of  Ramalinga Swamigal's songs are not directly against Vedas but against the behavior of Vedic Brahmins .
3) Ramalinga Swamigal was a sort of Siddha and he believed in Transmuting the body from decaying .Bhagwan Ramana never believed in such sort of Body Immortality .But Ramalinga Swamigal was not a Yoga Siddha but a Jnana Siddha .

Sadhu Om has said that Ramalinga Swamigal has hinted in his Arutpa Songs about the arrival of Bhagwan  Ramana but I do not know which Sing he has hinted .If anyone can find out that song it would be useful .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:56:55 AM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Nice write up Saint Ramalinga Swamigal. I do not know where he has mentioned about Sri Bhagavan's arrival. However,
the fact is that from worship of forms, Kanda Kottam Murugan, Tiruttani Murugan, Nataraja etc., he moved formless worship
of Jyoti.  His poems cover both Saiva Siddhantra and Advaita.  He has written a commentary on the first verse of Ozhivil Odukkam.

Sri Lanka's Arumuga Navalar has criticized his Jyoti upasana. Hence one can assume he had moved away from Saiva Siddhanta
to Advaita.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »
Subramniam Sir

The following statement of Sadhu Om in David's blog I found about Vallalar informing about arrival of Bhagwan Ramana but I cant find which verse is this from Thiru Arutpa .
One thing we must notice , after 3 years after Rama Linga Swamigal dematerialized , Bhagwan Ramana was born and in one of his famous sermons delivered in the near end of his life  he did mention that the same teachings ( i.e Universal Brotherhood ) will soon be talked about another person and people from all over the world ( from Europe , Russia , America etc )  will come to meet him and receive the teachings .

http://sri-ramana-maharshi.blogspot.in/search?q=sadhu+om

Question: Did anyone predict the birth of Bhagavan?

Sadhu Om: Ramalinga Swami [a 19th century Tamil saint] sung in verse, shortly before he passed away [in 1877] ‘O men, the time is fast approaching when my Lord [Siva] will come on earth’.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:19:06 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Thanks for the information, which I do not know earlier. The mention of Saint Ramalinga Swamigal (that you have indicated)
is difficult to trace among his 8000 songs.

Arunachala Siva.