Author Topic: N. Balarama Reddiar  (Read 1848 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
N. Balarama Reddiar
« on: February 01, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
N. Balarama Reddiar belonged to a rich family of Andhra. He came to Bhagavan Ramana in 1930s and stayed permanently in the Asramam, till his passing away in 1995.

During his post graduation days in Benares Hindu University, the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna made him to look into things spiritually. He wanted a Guru.  In 1931, he went to Sri Aurobindo Ashram.  When he was in Pondicherry, he met Kapali Sastri and through him, he made his first visit to Sri Ramanasramam.  Bhagavan's penetrating silence seemed to be pushing his mind deeper and deeper into his inner being. In 1935, he went to Sri
Ramanasramam again for the second time.  He asked this time to
Maharshi: "Whether I can change the guru?"  Bhagavan told him:
"Yes, one can change his guru? What of that?"  He visited the Asramam again in June 1936.  He spent about five years in Sri
Aurobindo's Ashram, in Pondicherry. 

Leaving Sri Aurobindo was a difficult task.  On a written submission, seeking permission of Sri Aurobindo, he was asked to continue.  One more letter was submitted, without any positive reply.  It took a long five months for him, and for his third letter, he was given a reply:
"Since you are determined to follow a path in which you can acheive only "a parial realization", we give you our blessings, thougn we believe it would be better if you stayed on here and pursued your sadhana where both the Mother and I can help you."

Sri Balarama Reddiar arrived for good in Sri Ramanasramam on the 5th January 1937. When he later asked Bhagavan about what he got by way of reply in Pondicherry, Bhagavan said: "Partial realization? If it is partial, it is not realization, and if it is realization, it is not partial!" This was the final blow tht silenced all his doubts.  He soon perfectly established himself in Bhagavan's teachings.

"Bhagavan's attendants had told me that His body was like a furnace. Only when once Bhagavan Ramana sat near me, I did
understand what they meant.  I felt spiritual power emanating from His body like an electric dynamo.  I was thrilled to the core of my being."

"I believe that the unique characteristic of Bhagavan Ramana was the power of His Presence..."

Sri Reddiar refused to put down his reminiscences for long years.
After decades of innumberable requests, he finally consented to dictate his experiences to Dennis Hartel of Arunachala Ashrama, New York and Nova Scotia (Canada) in September 1993.  Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai, published his reminscences in 1996, under the title My Reminscences.

(Source: My Reminiscences, N. Balarama Reddy. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.