Author Topic: Oliver Lacombe  (Read 1425 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Oliver Lacombe
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »
A French doctor of philosophy came for darshan of Bhagavan
Ramana in May 1936.

He asked Bhagavan:  How should a seeker work?

Bhagavan: Without taking himself to be the actor, that is, he should work without motive or a hard-cast plan.  For instance, when you started on a journey from Paris, did you include this place in your
iternary?

Devotee:  No.

Bhagavan: Now you see how you came without previous planning.
The Gita says that no one can remain inactive, and that the purpose of one's birth will be fulfilled whether one wills it or not.  It is therefore wise to allow the purpose to be fulfilled by itself.

Oliver Lacombe, who came, writes about his visit.  The visit I had the honour to pay in May 1936 to Tiruvannamalai, was only a short one. It was long enough, anyhow, to impress me with a strong feeling that I had met there, for a few moments, with a genuine Vidwan, an
excceptionally true representative of Hindu spirituality.  My souvenirs from this visit have already been published in a French Catholic Review, Les Etudes Carmelitaines, the Grandeur of Advaita.  This article appears in the Golden Jubilee Souvenir of Sri Ramanasramam.

Mr. Oliver Lacombe came under a scholarship from the University of Paris. He has read Srimad Bhagavad Gita in Sanskrit, the Upanishads and the Brahma Sutras, with their commentaries of Sri Sankara and Ramanuja.

He asked:  Is Maharshi's teaching the same as Sankara's?

Bhagavan Ramana:  Maharshi's teaching is only an expression of his own experience and realization. Others find that it tallies with Sankara's.

Devotee: Quite so. Can it be put in other ways to express the same realization?

Bhagavan Ramana:  A realized person will use his own language.
(after some pause...)  Silence is the best language!

After some more conversation, the devotee said that he was
leaving with regret...

Bhagavan smilingly said:  There is no leaving or returning.

The Frenchman at once said:  He has transcended time and space.

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana. Boundless Ocean of Grace. Volume 3. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.