Author Topic: Ramanatha Brahmachari  (Read 8505 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Ramanatha Brahmachari
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:35:41 AM »
Ramanatha Brahmachari first met Bhagavan Ramana in 1912, when
Bhagavan was staying in Virupaksha Cave. Ramanatha was a student in the Veda Patasala in Tiruvannamalai and had a stong yearning for God. He, though extremely poor, refused to take the free food that was available in the Veda Patasala and was going for alms in the
streets. Ramanatha's first visit to Bhagavan, itself became a defining moment in his life and one look from Bhagavan Ramana stopped his mind and captured his heart. He spent all his freetime with Bhagavan thereafter.

Ramanatha was a peson of short stature with thick glasses and had a puny structure.  He took up service to others as his way of life.
He had helped many sadhus like Kunju Swami, Chadwick and others in Palakottu and got a title of Sarvadikari of Palakottu!

Once he caught bubonic plague in Skandasramam.  When others wanted to stay away him and live in Pachiamman Koil, Bhagavan
Ramana said: Why? Why? He came as a teenage boy to Me. And you want me to leave him and come!  You all go. I shall be with him.
When you send food for him, you can also send for me!"

Ramanatha had some quarrels with Chinnaswami later.  He went to the Salt March in Vedaranyam, (he was a Gandhian to the core) without telling Sarvadikari and the latter refused permission to him to stay in Asramam and eat food.  Ramanatha stayed away from Asramam and lived in Palakottu.  On another occasion, Chinnaswami wanted him to stop spinning in spindle for kadi yarn, so that his eyes would not get spoit further.  Ramanatha refused.  Chinnaswami caught hold of him and was about to roll him down the stone steps.  Chinnaswami angrily shouted: Do you know WHO I AM?  Ramanatha Brahmachari replied meekly: "If we knew that, we wouldn't be in this quarrel!"

Bhagavan Ramana used to wear khadi codpiece weaved by Mastan,
from out of the yarn spindled by Ramanatha Brahmachari.

Ramanatha Brahmachari composed only two poems on Bhagavan
Ramana, in Tamil.  These are:

1. Tiruchuzhi Nadanai Kandene... (I saw the Lord of Tiruchuzhi..)
2. Sri Ramana Stotra Anubhuti. ( a thirty verse poem on the Prayer
     to Sri Ramana on my experience of the Self.)

Ramanatha Brahmachari passed away in 1946 in Madras, in his relatives' house. At the time of receipt of telegraphic message to the Hall, devotees were singing Sri Ramana Stotra Anbhuti!  Bhagavan
Ramana with a great feeling said: This song is composed by Ramanatha Brahmachari!

(Source: The Power of the Presence. David Godman. Volume 3.
Avadhuta Foundation, Boulder, Colarodo. USA.)

Arunachala Siva.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Re: Ramanatha Brahmachari
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »
Sh. Ramanatha brahmachari used to walk with sacks tied to his legs during the hot summer months in Tiruvannamalai. He never had enough money to eat, let alone buy any sandals. Smt. Saroja Krishnan in her interview [ posted at the ashram official website] recalls that he was one person who seems to have gotten rid of the ego. She says that her uncle, sh. T.S Rajagopala Iyer used to tease him a lot, to which he would simply smile and say ' andavane'!

He was non-descript and would talk very less. His attitude of service, devoid of any motive or ego earned him the epithet 'palakottu sarvadhikari'. Such a great devotee he was!

when bhagavan once said that our ego should get pound like the chutney into pieces, i could immediately recall none but Sh. ramanatha whose complete devotion to bhagavan was testament to his surrender. His happiness was contained only in fulfilling the wishes of bhagavan and those of his devotees.

Today, at ramanasramam two such people have devoted their lives to such a service. One sh.Brahmachari ratnam and the other Dr. Murthy. From what i gathered [i have heard from rajaraman mama of delhi], Dr Murthy was working for NASA in the US. He left it all and came and joined at the ashram. He does everything in the ashram..to washing toilets to working in the office to controlling crowds. His  imposing personality of being a fierce sadhaka and devotee makes us more in awe of him. He is easily approachable for any doubts u may have in the teachings. He is one person i never fail to talk to and clarify my doubts. I come refreshed from that conversation, with renewed energy and faith in bhagavan!

For Sh. Ratnam's details u may read it here :http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/1994/?pg=jan-feb

Are there any relatives of sh. ramanatha living amongst us now? Was he buried [ being a sanyasi]?

Salutations to them all!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »
Dear SLakshmi,

Ramanatha Brahmachari is one of my favourite devotees amongst
various devotees of Bhagavan.  He was a puny figure, short,
with thick glasses for his myopia.  His sandals (the old types
made of rubber tyre pieces) were having a thousand stitches.
He used to fix a gunny cloth to keep the sandals in two pieces!
He will do any work for the other devotees of Bhagavan.  He used
to call everyone as Andavane, O God!  He did all and sundry work
for the devotees living in Palakottu and so he was called endearingly as Palakottu Sarvadikari.  He merged in pure Space in 1946.

Arunachala Siva.   

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
True Subramanian Sir. Sh. Ramanatha is my favorite too. There are very very few people like that. Sir, you had mentioned that sh.ramanatha used to clean the stone slab vigorously for long hours for mother azhagamma just made me wonder and marvel at the dedication.what devotion!  Just the mere reading of such stories makes us teary, no wonder bhagavan was afraid of mudaliar paati and Sh. Ramanatha!

Bhagavan should give us atleast a drop of the bhakti that sh.ramanatha had. That alone is enough for us to cross all oceans of samsara!!

arunagiri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
Dear Friends

I would like to stay at ashram and serve ashram but currently there is no opportunity is found in the ashram website. Is there any other alternative to this. Need to shift family from chennai to Thiruvannamalai. I have a kid of 20 months.

Is that possible to get a house for rent outside. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Thanks to Bhagavan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 04:17:52 PM »
Dear arunagiri,

You can stay in a two bedroom, hall, kitchen house (either the first
floor or ground floor of a house), in Tiruvannamalai, for a rent of
say Rs 5000/- per month and an advance rent of say about Rs 30,000/-.  Tiruvannamalai is not big city like Chennai but has
got necessary medical facilties.  The Asramam will not assist you
in these matters. You have to pay a visit and search yourself by
asking for houses from some of the local devotees.  It is a hot
town, as hot or even hotter than Chennai.  As otherwise it is
okay.  In case you are staying in a house locally or in a hotel,
you cannot avail the dining facilties inside the Asramam, excepting
for some festival days.

Arunachala Siva.

arunagiri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »
thanks alot.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 11:53:06 PM »
Dear I,

If it is ok to ask, I would be glad to hear more from you, are you planning to settle down in Tiruvannamalai? Like are you planning to dedicate your life completely by staying in Arunachala? If yes, did your family agree?

Please do share more if you can and are willing to. Thank you.

Many don't get such wonderful opportunity.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

arunagiri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 10:19:36 AM »
Dear Sir

Myself have a wish to stay in thiruvannamalai. My wife also has agreed if it is god's will.

Awaiting for God's will on this.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
yes , but at the same time as ramana maharshi says "power cannot be denied"

Talk 273.

Dr. Syed asked: I have been reading the Five Hymns. I find that the hymns are addressed to Arunachala by you. You are an Advaitin. How do you then address God as a separate Being?

M.: The devotee, God and the Hymns are all the Self.

D.: But you are addressing God. You are specifying this Arunachala Hill as God.

M.: You can identify the Self with the body. Should not the devotee identify the Self with Arunachala?

D.: If Arunachala be the Self why should it be specially picked out among so many other hills? God is everywhere. Why do you specify Him as Arunachala?

M.: What has attracted you from Allahabad to this place? What has attracted all these people around?

D.: Sri Bhagavan.

M.: How was I attracted here? By Arunachala. The Power cannot be denied. Again Arunachala is within and not without. The Self is Arunachala.

Source: TALKS WITH SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI Book

Sri Bhagavan to Dr. T. N. Krishnaswamy:

The whole hill is sacred. It is Siva himself. Just as we identify ourselves with a body, so Siva has chosen to identify himself with his hill. Arunachala is pure wisdom (jnana) in the form of a hill. It is out of compassion to those who seek him that he has chosen to reveal himself in the form of a hill visible to the eye. The seeker will obtain guidance and solace by staying near this hill.

Sources:

1) From the Ramana Pictorial Souvenir
2) http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/2002/?pg=jan-feb

arunagiri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 02:19:33 PM »
Dear Sir

Whatever is destined will happen.

Bhagavan realised in Madurai itself and there was no need for him to go to Thiruvannamalai. But it happened.

If it is the case for a realised soul itself and what will be the case for unrealised soul?

Anyway, thanks for your light :)

Godwill happens, i accept whatever it is.

Thanks to bhagavan for directing me. And thanks to prasanth_ramana_maharshi also indeed.

amiatall

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 03:24:35 PM »
Very true.
But if an individual feels that he must go there, so he must go there. He must go there and then see that he never went anywhere. Wherever he goes, he still is here and now. Until one has this understanding, one must, by all means go wherever one is attracted to, just to see the futility of this 'going somewhere'. For, one never ever goes anywhere at any time.
One must search if he wants until an understanding or a question arise spontaneously who wants to search what? Then only a quest for the searcher will begin. Until then it is only a play in the domain of the mind.
Some has this sharp seeing, who need not be told anything, some has to listen first and then understands, some has to go through a lot of experiences in a name of searching to understand...

This is beauty of Gods leela and differentiality in a ways of realizing the same.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
Being middlings in "sadhana", it is but natural for people like
us to "come closer" Bhagavan Ramana and so we all wish to
live in Tiruvannamalai.  Apart from sublime truths like the Self
is everywhere and I am That, it is a desire for some of us.  I
personally feel that there is nothing wrong in that wish.  I have also
enquired details about cost of rental houses, medical facilities
etc., in Tiruvannamalai.  No person known to me in T'malai
have discouraged this idea.  But as Bhagavan Ramana says:
Nin Ishtam, En ishtam,  Your wish is my wish.

Many come and see Him,
Only a few are called.
Still a fewer are chosen!

Arunachala Siva.   

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
Dr.Dharma Chaterjee, a very famous doctor, practising here in delhi is the daughter of Prof. K. Swaminathan. A very nice lady, easily approachable, even gives advise on matters beyond medical, a great achiever but down-to-earth, asks you to call whenever u need any advice on any topic, always referring to herself below anyone else. I had a chance to talk to her. During the conversation, she told me that she couldnt usually go to the delhi ramana kendra much these days as she was getting old and lived alone with her husband and also she felt that if she couldnt contribute to the kendra in a major way, she also didnt want to be of any hindrance of any sort. She said in tamil " bhagavan mannu liyum irupaar, kallu liyum iruppar, namba moochu vangara kaathu liyum iruppar. so the best way is to meditate and invoke his presence right from where you are"! I coudnt have agreed with her more.

I too have thoughts on how i want to settle in tiruvannamalai a little later in life, when certain liabilities are settled and we have enough to continue our lives with. But i get afraid thinking what if my yearning or longing for bhagvan diminishes once i am there. Once when someone asked bhagavan about people who lived in tiruvannamalai vs. people who lived at far off places he said something to this effect 'the mere longing to see arunachala is much more greater since it allows one to remember arunachala with greater intensity and repeatedly much more than what one would do sitting here'!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »
Dear SLaksmi,

What you say is true.  We should see that our faith and devotion
do not get less, if we go and live in Tiruvannamalai, just because
of a feeling that Bhagavan Ramana's Asramam, can be seen, say in half an hour. Familiarity should not develop into disinterestedness in sadhana. Sraddha is the most important requisite.

Arunachala Siva.