Author Topic: Ramanatha Brahmachari  (Read 9831 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Ramanatha Brahmachari
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »
It really depends on the maturity of the seeker.

There is no general rule for everyone to follow the same way.

What ever is destined to happen will happen as says guru ramana.

To conclude

Bg Gita Ch3 Text33

Even a man of knowledge acts according to his own nature, for everyone follows his nature. What can repression accomplish?

viswanathan

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »
Smt Rajalakshmi (whose Child hood reminiscences have appeared in April &Oct 2008 issues of Mountain Path) told me an interesting event pertaining to Ramanatha Brahmachari whom she knew very well from her childhood..
Ramanatha Brammchari had a long standing desire to meet Mahatma Gandhi and offer him a garland made out of hand spun cotton (khadi).He spun the cotton threads himself and made a nice garland. When Gandhiji visited Tiruvannamalai,he went near him to offer the garland.Since he was little away from Gandhiji ,his hands could not reach Gandhiji's neck and he was helped by surrounding people who physically lifted him to enable him to garland Mahatma.On his return to the ashram, he narrated this incidence to Bhagavan who remarked to Sri Ramanatha Brahmachari that at last his long standing desire has been fulfilled.When Bhagavan made this remark, Rajalakshmi was also there in old hall.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »
Viswanathan Sir,

Are u a relative of Smt. Rajalakshmi? Is she amongst us now? Could you share more anecdotes about ashram in general in those days? How does Smt. Rajalakshmi spend her time now...

viswanathan

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 05:23:38 AM »
Dear Ms. Lakshmi,         
                              Smt Rajalakshmi is my mother and she lives with us in Chennai, She is now 90 years old. She is in normal health except the general weakness due to the aging .For her,Bhgavan is her Guru and god and  she spends her time praying to Bhagavan. It is Bhagavan who taught her tamil, telugu and Sanskrit. When she was 3 years old ,she lost her mother and then on she was brought up by her grand mother Venuammal who is the younger sister of Echammal.  Venuammal was also a staunch devotee of Bhagavan from Virupakshi cave era of Bhagavan. My mother was very fortunate to have the grace of Bhagavan  from 1923 when she was 3 years old  till her marriage in 1936 and  she spent most of her child hood  in ashram in the vicinity of Bhagavan who took personal care of her. She was also very fortunate to have the grace of Seshadri Swamigal  whom she met couple of times during her child hood.  Last she saw Seshadri Swamigal was on the day of Swamigal’s Samadhi  in 1929 and she still has very clear memory about that..She and K.V.mama(Grand son of Echammal) are closely related and both  my mother and K.V.mama were brought up in ashram during their childhood .. For her complete reminiscences titled “My Child hood with Bhagavan” kindly refer April and Oct 2008  issues of Mountain path. If you can send me your E-mail Id, I can send her child hood photos taken in 1928 and 1930 along with Bhagavan .
A.Viswanathan

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 06:59:08 AM »
Viswanathan Sir,

I would be truly truly blessed if u could send me her childhood photos with bhagavan. My mother also a staunch devotee of bhagavan would be very happy to see them. I was very fortunate to have met smt. kanakammal last year with my mother and talked to her. She was in frail health, but her spirits were high. Once she started to talk about bhagavan, she wouldnt stop and infact would get very emotional. I also had the privilege of meeting her in 2006. She was able to talk for a long time and after each sentence would go 'purinjutha ma'? puriyalana sollu'. Such was her eagerness to make sure i learnt and understood the teachings correctly.

When i asked her, if they missed bhagavan's physical presence immediately after his samadhi, she was almost in tears. she told me about muruganaar ' avar tharayila unrundunde bhagavan bhagavan nnu azhuvaar'! such was the bhakti of that great devotee!!

Sir, i am very happy to note that you being the son of smt. rajammal, such a blessed devotee of bhagavan is amongst us in the forum.

My e-mail : lakshmi.rsuresh@gmail.com

Many Thanks Sir.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
Dear I,

Please convey my Namaskarams & love to your mother. I am really fortunate and feel nice to hear all these accounts. At this very moment, I just feel Sri Ramana Maharshi's presence. I really consider it a big blessing in itself by just hearing from you, that a devotee who has lived with Bhagavan, seen, talked with Him, is amongst us is your Mother. How wonderful is the Leela of Bhagavan.

I too would consider it a big blessing, if you can send me the photos too. My e-mail id is nagaraj.balas@gmail.com

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:28:14 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
Dear viswanathan and SLakshmi,

You have been quite fortunate to have your mothers as Bhagavan's
direct devotees, (I mean, they have seen Him, while He was in body)
and I am sure this itself will bring tremendous progress in your
Sadhana.  Please speak to your mothers, and listen to them for
more and more anecdotes.  Even brief anecdotes would have contained gems of Truth.  My Namaskarams to these great living
devotees from my place.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 10:44:34 AM »
Dear I, (SLakshmi)

Did you mother also see Bhagavan directly? talked to him? Please do share some information, please excuse on account of asking you if you have already posted some detail regarding this. Please convey my Namaskarams and Love to your mother too.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »
Nagaraj Sir, Subramanian Sir,

Sir, i am 29 years old..so theres no way my mom would have met bhagavan! My mother has been a devotee of bhagavan since i was very very young. I remember my first visit to tiruvannamalai was probably in 1992, when sh.kunju swamigal was very ill. I still remember that he was in one of the rooms in the ashram and my mother was very eager to get a darshan and talk to him. However, he was in no condition to talk. His room was tucked away inside of the ashram and i remember walking through a lot of trees all around. There were a lot of monkeys and i was very scared. Once we reached the room, we saw kunju swamigal in a steel cot, and he was moving from side to side, perhaps due to some pain, i could not understand. Also, he was in a semi-concious state and did not realise who was coming and going. All he was saying was 'bhagavan! bhagavan!' and that struck me because i kept wondering how could such person, in such a state and pain could only say bhagavan bhagavan!

The caretaker repeatedly said 'swami amma delhi lerndu ungala paaka vandirukkanga. inga parunga swami'...but my amma could understand and empathise that he was in a very terrible state and could not respond. However, after sometime kunju swamigal took my mother's hand and said 'bhagavan kaapathatum'! That made my mother so so very happy! After staying there for sometime, we proceeded with our journey.

Even remembering and reading these incidents just makes me feel very small indeed. Where am i..full of vaasanaas and so many wordly attachments. For anyone else...just lying in that steel cot would have made them so uncomfortable, let alone a person with serious ailments. But for swamigal nothing mattered, only bhagavan existed.

If i were to dig some long lost connection to bhagavan's life..then it would be sh.K.S Venkatramani, who was my maternal grandmother's periappa. It was he who took Dr. Paul Brunton to bhagavan.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »
Dear I,

Yes, I remember your post on your maternal grandmother's periappa. There is so much warmth in all those who were a direct devotee of Bhagavan, though, I have not got a chance to meet any of the direct devotees, I have seen them in so many videos being posted in the internet. I have heard the interview of Sri Kunju Swami in the set of Who am I videos.

In Ramana's fold, the world looks so small, One big Small Ramana Family. The force that binds all of us is the compassion of Sri Ramana Maharshi, which is unparalled, I would say even surpasses the mother-child compassion.

My connections (very small though), I have heard that my paternal grandfather has visited Ramana Maharshi. His personality being silence, he used to talk very less. He was a Head Master, himself did not have any conversations with Sri Ramana, as he deemed it unecessary even to talk in His presence. I just wish my grandfather was alive for some more time, he had so much to share, but I was quite young then to even converse with him on Ramana. But now, I consider my beloved Bhagavan as my 'thaatha', he just melts my heart even as I write 'thaatha' here, so much  compassion, affection, love, he emanates so absolutely unconditionally.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:11:21 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »
Nagaraj Sir, 

Even i have heard kunju swamigal's interview in Who am i series..but i wish they had not dubbed further in english. I think they should have two sets...one of the original interview and one the translated version...

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 03:28:32 PM »
True, I felt the same, the English dubbing seem to spoil the beauty of the emotion that comes out from the devotees. I also loved the detail regarding Kanakammaal's experiences, it is very moving. Perhaps, the original Tamil will be available at Ramanashramam.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
The direct devotees' experiences are available both in English and
Tamil.

1. Kunju Swami  -  Living with the Master - English
                           Sri Ramana Ninaivugal  -  Tamil

2.  T.R. Kanakammal - Ninaivil Nirainthavai -  Tamil
                                English yet to come.

3.  T. K. Sundaresa Iyer -  At the Feet of Bhagavan - English
                                     Guru Ramana Tiruvadi Vazhvu - Tamil.

4.   Suri Nagamma -  Sri Ramanasrama Vazhvum Ninaivum - Tamil
                                Recollections - English - available in the
                                "Letters" - 2 volume combined book.

5.  Annamalai Swami  -  Sri Ramana Ninavaiugal - Tamil - no reprint.
                                  Final Talks and Living with the Words
                                  of Bhagavan -  David Godman.

There are a few others.

Arunachala Siva.       

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »
Dear I,

Even T.R.Kanakammal's english book is available and is called 'Cherished Memories'

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:59:52 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
Subramanian Sir,

I was referring to the spoken interviews...the 'who am i' series on youtube carried dubbed version...