Author Topic: Guru Gita  (Read 1744 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Guru Gita
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »
Guru Gita is in Skandam, as a dialogue between Siva and Parvati.
There are many versions of Guru Gita, ranging from 250 to 350 verses.  Bhagavan Ramana has on a few occasions, quoted from Guru Gita.  Ribhu Gita, which Bhagavan Ramana used to recommend more often, is an elaborate treatise on the subject of the Self and Guru and is more poetic.

He who is supremely devoted to the Lord and has the same equal devotion to his Guru, to him alone will the truths explained (herein) clearly reveal themselves. (Sloka 19)

He who is the Guru is Siva Himself, so declare the scriptures, and the fact that Siva is the Guru, is reminded to us in all the Smritis. He who makes any distinction between the two, is guilty of the crime of uniting with his own perceptor's wife. (Sloka 20)

Muruganar says in Guru Vachaka Kovai, that one who uses his skills to sing anyone other than Siva or the Guru, is pimping for Saraswati, who had given him those skills.

The Guru is Brahman and no other than Brahman Itself.  O Parvati,
I declare this Truth to you.  Listen to my words and believe, for this Truth is unknown to any one else in all the three worlds. (Sloka 21).

The Vedas, the Sastras, Puranas, the Ithihasas etc., the science of Mantras, Yantras, Mohana, Ucchatana, etc., cults like Saiva,Agama, Sakta, etc., and other cults existing in the world today are merely false theories expressed in corrupted words which confuse the ignorant and deluded Jivas. (Slokas 22 & 23)

Japa, austerities, observances, pilgrimage, sacrifice, charity -- all
these become a mere waste without understanding the Guru Tattva.
(Sloka 24)

O Parvati, I declare unto Thee, with all the emphasis at my command, that there is no difference between the Guru and the Atman (the Self). Therefore efforts should be made by seekers, men learned in the scriptures, men of wisdom, for its attainment.
(Sloka 25)

The hidden ignorance, absence of the knowledge of the Self, the world, Maya, the body -- are all caused by ignorance.  By whose grace one attaining direct knowledge of the Self -- he is known by the name Guru. (Sloka 26)

(Source: Guru Gita. Pub. Divine Life Society. Uttaranchal)

Arunachala Siva.