Author Topic: Sundaramoorthy Nayanar - 4 (One of the 63 Saints)  (Read 2178 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sundaramoorthy Nayanar - 4 (One of the 63 Saints)
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
Continuing his pilgrimage, Sundaramoorthy visited Tiru Nallar, a famous centre today for the worship of Saturn.  He then visited
Tiruvenkadu, Tiru Nanipalli, Tiru Ninravoor.  In Tiruninravoor, he was reminded of Tiru Navukkarasar who sang Tirumurai Canons Book 4,5, and 6.  He then went to Tiru Kolakka, where son of Siva, Tiru Jnana Sambandhar was bestowed with golden cymbals by Siva.  Here he sang a song about Seerkazhi, where Sambandhar was born. He then reached Tiru Karukavoor, (today there is a famous goddess temple called Karbha Rakshambika, where pregnant women pray for a safe delivery).    In this place, Sundaramoorthy became very thirsty and he could not find water.  Suddenly a Brahmin appeared with water and delicious food in a water shed.  He and his devotees took food and water and resumed.  On turning back, they found that the watershed along with the brahmin had disappeared.  Sundaramoorthy shed tears knowing that Siva himself had come to feed him food and give him water.  Sundaramoorthy then went to Chidambaram again and also to Tirukazhukunram. He then reached
Kanchipuram, where Lord Ekambara and Kamakshi reside.  From there he went to Kalahasti and in his song he glorified the great devotion of Kannappar.  Standing in Kalahasti, he visualized Kailas and Tiru Kedaram, today's Kedar Nath and prayed to Siva of the icy mountains.  He then came to Tiruvotriyur, and found that place as a veritable Sivaloka.  In the temple, he came across a beautiful damsel by name Sangili.  The parents of the lady found Sundaramoorthy as a worthy Siva devotee and proposed him, his daughter's marriage to him.  He prayed to Siva: Oh my Lord, you know my predicament, my wedding to Paravai, who has been given only by you to me!

Sangili meanwhile dreamt that she is married to a worthy Siva devotee, (Saint Manikkavachagar has sung in Tiruvembavai: O lord,
let no our breasts rest with any shoulders other than of your devotees!).  Next day, the same old brahmin, who came to Sundaramoorthy in Tirunavalur telling that he is his (Siva's) bonded labourer, came to him and said:  You can marry Sangili. The maiden on knowing that Sundaramoorthy was already married to Paravai told him that he should swear that he would not leave her at any cost!  Sundaramoorthy swore under a Magizha tree!  The marriage took place in Tiruvotriyur.  The celebrations were in grand scale.

Soon, it was spring.  The saint remembered the spring festival of
Tiruvarur.  He wanted to go there.  He started now repenting for leaving Paravai, his first consort.  Quietly in the early morning, he stepped out of Tiruvotriyur.  O, in a few minutes, he lost his vision. With great distress of having lost his eyesight, he proceeded to Tiruvarur covering Kanchipuram again on the way.  In Kanchipuram, he was blessed with eyesight for one eye only.  He reached Tiruvarur temple and prayed to Siva: O Master, it is all your divine play.  Why do you make me suffer for your sports.  Siva then went to Paravai's house, as a messenger and requested Paravai to forgive her husband and take him back.  Paravai without knowing that it was Siva Himself who had come as a messenger said in a angry voice: Are you not ashamed, a Siva devotee, to come like this and do errands for that deceitful fellow? Go back. She shut the door from inside.  Siva came back.  Paravai meantime thought:  How can someone come at dead of the night to speak about my husband.  His lustre was beyond compare.  Could it be Siva Himself?  Siva again went to her house in the early dawn and again made the request.  This time, Paravai said: O my Master, if you could yourself come as a messenger for your devotee, tiring your legs two times in the dead of night, what right have I got to disobey you.  She fell at Siva's feet.  The couple then rejoined and going to the temple they prayed to Vanmikanatha of Tiruvarur temple.

(Source: Periya Puranam, Sekkizhar. Tamil Verses. Book XII of Siva Canons. Saiva Siddhanta Book Publishing House, Chennai. Translation and Prose rendering, my own.)

Arunachala Siva.