Author Topic: Sundaramoorthy Nayanar - 2 (One of the 63 Siva Saints)  (Read 4792 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sundaramoorthy Nayanar - 2 (One of the 63 Siva Saints)
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »
Sundaramoorthy Nayanar, entered the shrine of Tiruvarur and prayed
to the Lord Vanmika Natha with some melodious songs.  As he was praying to Siva with intense joy, his mind suddenly got diverted to a maid who had come for the prayers.  She is Kamalini, handmaid of
Uma in Kailas who has taken birth as Paravai, in a devadasi family.
Sundarar was wondering:  How come, I who would never get distracted by anything other than Siva's glorious form, had been today diverted by the beauty of this maiden?  Siva then declared:
I stopped your wedding in Tiru Arulturai and today I am declaring this maiden as your wife.  The citizens of Tiruvarur also got a message in their dreams from Siva and soon the wedding between
Sundaramoorthy and Paravai had been arranged.  It was celebrated with pomp and glory and the couple spent some days in this town.
The parents of Sundarar had come from Tirunavalur also enjoyed the wedding celebrations. 

After the wedding, with all pride of a beautiful wife, Sundaramoorthy came to Tiruvarur temple again to pray to Vanmikanatha.  He got past the Devasiriyan Mantapam (the Hall of the devotees) without saluting them.  One militant devotee, by name, Eyakon Kalikamar stood up said:  Who is this tough guy who goes into the temple, without even prostrating to us?  If Siva too could agree to this, I shall not pray to Siva and also stay in Tiruvarur.  So saying, he went upto the town limit.  On being pointed out, Sundarar came out of the temple, rushed to get Eyakon Kalikkama and prostrated to him.  He then brought him to the temple.  A voice came from the heavens
that Sundarar should first sing a song praising the glory of all Siva devotees, known and unknown.  He then sang the famous Tiru
Thondathokai.  This is the source book of Periya Puranam. There he,
sang, (with the first sentence told by Siva Himself): Thillai Vazh Andhanar tham adiyarkum adiyen, Tiruneela Kantathu Kuyavanarkum adiyen.... I am the devotee of the devotees of Brahmins who live in Chidambaram, I am the devoee of the devotees of Tiru Neelakanta, the potter.....  He mentions in that song 62 devotees and he being the 63rd, forms the stories of Periya Puranam.

Sundaramoorthy, after thus made forcibly to praise all Siva's devotees, spent some more time in Tiruvarur, leading a good family life and also praying to Siva on three occasions in a day in the temple of Vanmika Natha.  The landlord of Perur, a nearby town, called Kundayoor Kizhar agreed to send food grains and other essentials to Sundarar-Paravai's house for their livelihood.  This continued for about one year.  Next rains failed and Kizhar could not supply food items to the family.  The whole town suffered due to famine.  Kizhar prayed to Vanmikanatha and at night Kubera filled his town with hills of food grains and other items!  Next morning, finding these items, Kizhar was wondering, how to transport them from Perur to Tiruvarur.  He rushed to Sundaramoorthy and told him the predicament.  Sundaramoorthy said:  O my revered friend, why do you worry?  The Lord who had given this from heavens is also sure to transport them, do not worry!  That night the sivaganas transported them to Tiruvarur and also to Paravai's house.   The food grains were so large in stock, that Paravai went out and told the householders of the town to take them, as much as they wanted.

(Source: Periya Puranam, Sekkizhar. Tamil Verses. Book XII of
Siva Canons. Saiva Siddhanta Book Publishing House, Chennai.
Translation and Prose rendering, my own.)

Arunachala Siva,