Author Topic: Tiru Navukkarasar , Appar - 5 (One of the 63 Siva Saints)  (Read 1938 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Tiru Navukkarasar , Appar - 5 (One of the 63 Siva Saints)
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »
From Tiruvotriyur, Tirunavukkarasar reached Kalahasti and beheld
the vision of Lord there. He then proceeded to Sri Sailasam and prayed to the Lord of jasmine creepers. He then had a desire to go to Kailas and see Siva's Hill there. But the age and senility was against him. After covering some distance, he became extremely weak. He was by then 80 years old and body was badly bruised by walking on the roads and bushes and due to a variety of changing weather on the way.   Siva then appeared as a villager with bark of trees as his cloth, with vibhuti on his forehead and sacred thread on his chest. He asked: O oldman where do you want to go?  The old saint replied:
I want to see Siva in Kailas.  The villager said: O Master of speech!
What a temerity have you got?  Go back!   The old saint persisted:
No, I cannot return without seeing Kailas. The villager said: Go and immerse yourself in the tank nearby.  You will rise up in the river of Kaveri in Tiruvaiyarum and there I will give you my vision of Kailas!

The sage was wonderstruck.  Was it Siva who came as a villager!
He swiftly went to the tank nearby and to his amazement, he rose up in Kaveri near Tiruvaiyaru, with better health.  He went to Lord
Panchanadheeswara in Tiruvaiyaru temple and hymned his famous song:  Kailai pathi, Kalathi pathi.....  He showed me his form partly in Kalahasti and partly as he is Kailas, here!  He saw the vision of Siva in Kailas in Tiruvaiyaru itself.  He sang in rapturous voice the vision of Siva, with matted locks, Ganga, serpents, konrai flowers and serpents and Uma on his left, with icy mountains of Kailas behind.
He said that there are two Kailas in South, one in Kalahasti and another in Tiruvaiyaru!

After spending some time in Tiruvaiyaru, Tirunavukkarasar set out for Tirunaithanam, Tirupoonthuruthi and other palces and on hearing the glorious return of Tiru Jnana Sambandhar, he rushed to Seerkazhi. It is here, he was one of the bearers of Tiru Jnana Sambandha's palanquin.  (It is said a little differently in Sambandhar's episode.).

The old saint and the young one spent some time together in Seerkazhi. Tirunavukkarasar then went to Madurai to see the glorious revival of Vedic Saivism in Pandya Kingdom.

Tirunavukkarasar then returned to Puhalur.  Here Siva tested him finally.  In the town wherever he went there were gold pebbles on the way.  Not caring for any of those pebbles, Tirunavukkarasar took them in his spade and threw them into the tank!  Then the celestials appeared singing and dancing, coming close to the old poet telling him that they would give him his youth and he could marry any one of the girls!  The saint poet said to them: Why do you, little ones, persist in your futile efforts to charm me?  I am ever the servant of Siva, his servitor and I have no work excepting to remove the weeds in his temple and to pray to Him, with my songs!  The celestials then disappered.

The saint was now 81 years old.  On a Chaitra (Jan-Feb) day on the asterism of Sadhayam, Siva appeared before him, with his consort and took him into His Effulgence, near Puhalur.

(Source: Periya Puranam., Sekkizhar. Tamil Verses. Book XII of
Siva Canons. Saiva Siddhanta Book Publishing House, Chennai.,
Translation and Prose rendering, my own.)

Arunachala Siva.