Author Topic: Tiru Navukkarasar Nayanar - Appar (One of the 63 Siva Saints)  (Read 1463 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Tiru Navukkarasar Nayanar - Appar (One of the 63 Siva Saints)
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »
While thus Tiruvanavukkarasar was doing service to Siva in Tiru Adigai and was also helping his sister, the news went to Pataliputra.
They were seized with anger and dismay.  They all went to the king,
who was the supporter of Jaina faith and told him that Dharmasena
had been cured of the colic pain, but acted as if he had not been cured, and thus with this excuse had run away to his sister's place and embraced Vedic Saivism.  The king trusted them and then sent his soldiers to bring Tirunavukkarasar to the palace. When the soldiers went and told Tirunavukkarasar about the king's order, the saint coolly answered: "We servitors of Siva, are bonded labourers to none!" and he refused to go back to Pataliputra.

The king grew doubly angry and told the Jain priests to catch him and give him any punishment, like throwing him into a burning lime-kiln. They promptly picked up Tirunavukkarasar and threw him into a burning lime-kiln and bolted the door from outside. The Saint was there in side and he sang a song on Siva:  O Lord, your feet to which I am bound, is as pleasant as the playing of veena, the evening full moon, the cool southern breeze and the soothing season of spring!
The fire of the lime kiln did not touch him at all and instead it was quite cool and pleasant.  After seven days, when the kiln was opened, the Jain priests, found Tirunavukkarasar smiling and singing with no injury or pain.  They grew nervous.

Then they forced to him to eat milk-rice with venomous poison of the cobra.  Nothing happened to the saint!  The Jaina priests were now in great fear.

Then, they brought a mad tusker and left it alone in the company of the saint and bolted the door of the stadium.  The tusker came near
Tirunavukkarasar, circumambulated him three times and bent its knees as if prostrating.  It then turned back, broke open the doors of the stadium and rushed to cause havoc to the Jaina priests. Some of them were crushed under its feet. Some others got severely injured and finally a few ran away to tell the news to the king!

The king then ordered the saint to be tied to a big stone and thrown into the deep sea at Pataliputra.  The saint took the punishment calmly and soon to the bewilderment of everyone, the stone started floating, became a flower decked palaquin in a trice, and reached the shore of the town.  Thousands of devotees of Siva, roared in ecstasy and welcomed Tirunavukkarasar with both arms.  Tirunavukkarasar then went to the temple of Tiru Adigai and prayed to Siva: "How come my Master, who is unattainable even by Brahma and Naryana, is so easy to come to me and save everytime, when there is misery for me?"   

The King quickly understood his grieveous sins of punishing the saint and also his following a fallacious path for Truth.  He came to Tirunavukkarasar and prostrated to him.  He then ordered the Jain Maths to be vacated and sent the Jains away from his country. He started refurbishing the temples of Siva in the Pallava Kingdom.

(Source: Periya Puranam, Sekkizhar. Tamil Verses. Book XII of
Siva Canons. Saiva Siddhanta Book Publishing House, Chennai.
Translation and Prose rendering, my own.)

Arunachala Siva.