Author Topic: Tiru Jnana Sambandhar - 10 (One of the 63 Siva Saints)  (Read 1322 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Tiru Jnana Sambandhar - 10 (One of the 63 Siva Saints)
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »
In Tirumayilai,Mylapore, one Sivanesar who was a wealthy merchant and an ardent Siva devotee was waiting for Sambandhar.  Sivanesar had a great misery in his life.  His only daughter aged 7 years, was bitten by a venomous snake in the flower gardens and died.  Sivanesa completed her cremation and was safeguarding her bones
and ashes in a mud pot, hoping someday Siva would help him to revive the child.  He went to Sambandhar and requested him to revive the girl baby from ashes.  Sambandhar went to the Siva temple and prayed to Kapaliswara and Karpagamba.  He then came to the merchant's house and sang another glorious song, beseeching Siva for help.  Lo, from the pot emerged Poompavai, daughter of Sivanesar rose up like a creeper, as 12 year old beatiful girl!  She had been dead since 5 years!  Sivanesar's joy knew no bounds and he prostrated to Sambandhar.  Then he requested Sambandhar to marry his daughter.  Sambandhar politely said:  O devotee of Siva!
Out of abundant grace of Siva, I have raised your daughter from the ashes.  Since I have raised her, she is as good as my daughter!  How can I marry her?"  Now Sivanesar understood but his grief was still
not abiding.  The daughter interevened, prostrated to Sambandhar and said: O Lord, what you say is correct.  I shall not marry anyone and I shall ever remain as Siva devotee, a Rudra Kanya!

Sambandhar proceeded further, went to Tiruvidai Maruthur and prayed to Mahalinga Siva.  He then visited Thillai, Chidambaram again and returned to Seerkazhi.  He has, by now, become 16 years old.  Muruga Nayanar, Tiruneelakanta Nayanar and others were waiting for him in Seerkazhi.

(Source: Periya Puranam. Sekkizhar. Tamil Verses. Book XII of
Siva Canons. Saiva Siddhanta Book Publishing House, Chennai. Translation and Prose rendering, my own.)

Arunachala Siva.