Author Topic: Miracles Do Happen  (Read 5524 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Miracles Do Happen
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »
Smt. Meenakshi Ammal, wife of Muruganar was staying the Asramam
of and on, on many occasions.  She was in a poor condition, with even
no good saris to wear.  She used to sit before Bhagavan Ramana and
sing songs.  Once, she came to Bhagavan Ramana and was looking at
Him for some minutes.  She did not want to tell Bhagavan Ramana,
about her not having any good sari, since it was coming in her way
of self respect.   After keeping silent for sometime, she blurted out
to Bhagavan:  "I am having sufferings."  She did not mention anything
about saris.  Bhagavan Ramana looked at her with all grace.  After
sometime, Bhagavan Ramana told one of His attendants to go to
Isanya Math and get a sari.  This was promptly brought.  Isanya
Math people had immense regard for Bhagavan Ramana and Muruganar
had also conducted classes on Siddhanta and Vedanta in that Math.

In the afternoon, Meenkashi Ammal came to the Old Hall and sat
silently.  Bhagavan Ramana told the assistant to bring the sari and
give it to Meenakshi Ammal.  She took it with tears in her eyes. She
then prostrated before Bhagavan Ramana, with trembling limbs.

Saint Manikkavachagar sings in Tiruvachakam:

O you know all that I want.
You give all that I want.
You became rare to Brahma and Vishnu, who asked with 'ego'.
You took over me and ruled me as your slave.
If you give me without even my asking.
If I want something, even that want is your wish!

(Source: Muruganar. Tamil Biography. Krupanandan. Sri Ramanasramam,
Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.   

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Re: Miracles Do Happen
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »
Sir,

any information on where smt.meenakshi ammal spent her last days? Strange are the destinies of the mahans. If muruganaar were to spend his life almost as an ascetic renouncing everything, why at all have a marriage. Maybe his wife would have had certain worldy wishes to have children, have a family like many others do. But..i guess one should not question the destinies of mahans. They were just meant to be like that..

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:12:46 AM »
Dear I,

This post reminded me to recollect few wonderful events in the life of Muruganar, his wife Meenakshi Ammal and Bhagavan. Here is one. This is too good and I felt so much joy typing it. Stayed awake late to finish this. This will surely end up making all smile widely and definitely feel the presence, grace and compassion of Bhagavan so very strongly.

Muruganar’s devotion for Bhagavan was beyond measure. All his love and devotion for Bhagavan found expression in the beautiful poems he composed in praise of Bhagavan. These poems had a sweetness and depth of feeling that could not fail to melt the heart of listeners. Bhagavan’s devotees used to sing some of Muruganar’s poems in the hall, so that everybody could enjoy the beauty of these captivating cerses.

Muruganar’s wife, Meenakshi Ammal, was also a frequent visitor to the Ashram. Bhagavan was always specially kind and considerate to this lady, and treated her as a favoured guest. Knowing that Meenakshi Ammal loved god coffee, Bhagavan would tell the Ashram cooks, “Give Meenakshi good, strong coffee, just the way she likes it.” Bhagavan would also listen patiently to Meenakshi Ammal’s complains about her husband, the chief among those being, of course, that Muruganar was neglecting her and all his domestic responsibilities. On one of her visits, Meenakshi Ammal seemed particularly upset. She told Bhagavan that Muruganar’s neglect was very difficult for her to bear, and that Muruganar seemed not to realise just how badly his behaviour was affecting her.

It was Meenakshi Ammal’s practice to sing a few verses from Muruganar’s Ramana Sannidhi Murai in Bhagavan’s presence, every time she came to the Ashram. On this occasion also, she had a copy of the book with her, and was about to select some suitable chapter. Bhagavan took the book from her hands and, marking the section where there was a decad of verses, each ending with ‘Ramana Mayavane’, he said to Meenakshi Ammal, “Look, Meenakshi! Muruganar will soon be returning fro Palaakothu. As soon as he enters the hall, you must start singing these verses. But remember one thing! Each of these verses ends with the phrase, ‘Ramana Mayavane’. You must substitute ‘Muruga Mayavane’ for ‘Ramana Mayavane’ when you sing. Is that clear? Now, take your place and get ready. For Muruganar will be here soon.”

Meenakshi Ammal was a simple soul, and her faith in Bhagavan was total. So she agreed to do exactly as Bhagavan said, even though she had no idea why he should want her to do it. Now, the verses selected by Bhagavan were very well suited to the occasion because they present a picture of a love-lorn lady chiding her lover for his cruel neglect. In these verses, Muruganar portrays himself as a love-lorn lady and entreats Bhagavan to favour him with his grace. To be precise, the Lady describes the happy times she had shared with her Lord, and the promises he had made to her. Having won her with sweet words of love and assurances of undying devotion, her lord had left her to dream about him, and to wait eagerly for the time when he would come to claim her; but he had not come back. The lady chides her loved for his shameful neglect, and asks him what she had done, to deserve such cruel treatment from him. She bemoans her fate, regretting the fact that she had lost her heart to one so inconsistent, beguiled by his charm and his false promises. Each of the verses ends with the phrase, ‘Ramana Mayavane’ (the term mayavan can be translated as ‘the great deluder’). The lady is accusing her lover of misleading her with false promises. Yet, her language is far from abusive. In fact her words are full of affection and reflect the remembered joy of happier times. Each of the poems in this section is exquisite in the beauty of expression and the delicacy of feeling.

As soon as Muruganar entered the hall, Meenakshi Ammal started singing the songs selected by Bhagavan. Following Bhagavan’s instructions faithfully, she ended each verse with ‘Muruga Mayavane’ instead of original ‘Ramana Mayavane’. The first time, Muruganar did not attach much importance to the substitution. Many devotees regard Bhagavan as an incarnation of Lord Muruga, and Muruganar simply assumed that Meenakshi Ammal was making a reference to this aspect of Bhagavan’s multi-faceted glory. When Meenakshi Ammal came to end of the second verse and there was still no response from Muruganar, Bhagavan glanced at him with eyes full of mischief. Then he directed a look of approval and encouragement at Meenakshi Ammal. Suddenly, Muruganr realised that some conspiracy was at work! By then, Meenakshi Ammal had ended the third verse also with ‘Muruga Mayavane’ now appeared highly significant to Muruganar. He was finally convinced that Bhagavan was deliberately teasing him, using Meenakshi Ammal as an innocent, yet effective agent!

Muruganar could think of only one course of action – escape! Accordingly, he got up and was preparing to quietly slip out of the hall when Bhagavan stopped him with, “Hey! Why are you leaving the hall now? Is it not because she sang about her ‘Muruga Mayavan?’ Well does that mean that, when ever somebody sings about ‘Ramana Mayavan’, I should immediately walk out of the hall? Is that not so?” Hearing Bhagavan’s words, the entire hall dissolved in laughter. Muruganar made use of this diversion to make good his escape!

Bhagavan often played such practical jokes upon his devotees. But even while he was engaged in such apparently playful activities, Bhagavan continued to impart valuable knowledge to his devotees. Every joke and every little trick had its own lesson to teach.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:14:10 AM »
Dear Lakshmi,

Everything that a body has to go through in life has been determined. One can ask why the Buddha had to get married, have a son, and leave them behind after one year. To us it seems like he was not fulfilling his responsibility. From the standpoint of prarabdha, the Buddha needed to spend a bit of his life as a married man, and his wife had to complete her prarabdha of being married to him for a very short time. The son's prarabdha was to have a father for less than a year. Same is true of Bhagawan and other jnanis.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:26:07 AM »
Nagaraj Sir,

Beautiful story! there is one more story like that. Once in the hall, when everyone was meditating, meenakshi muruganaar felt like having coffee. Bhagavan sensed this and said ' everyone is doing self meditation and our meenakshi is doing coffee meditation! Just then someone arrived with steaming hot idlies and sambar and coffee. Bhagavan immediately said with a lot of love to serve meenakshi first!

Sadhakji,

Maybe it was her prarabdha that through muruganaar, she should have the opportunity to be in the vicinity of bhagavan!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »
Dear SLakshmi,

What you say is correct.  Meenakshi being Muruganar's wife, had the
golden opportunity to be in the Presence of Bhagavan Ramana.  That
was the fortune which more than compensated her other misfortunes.
I am told that she lived in Madras during her later years and Muruganar
had left some money with one Mr. Chettiar, who was a great Siva devotee
and also had great regard for Bhagavan Ramana, and this Chettiar took
care of Smt.  Meenakshi's livelihood expenses.  There is no further information to me.

See the story of Anandammal which I propose to write shortly.

Arunachala Siva.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
Sir,

Once smt.meenakshi was very distressed thinking what has happened of her life. She felt so bad that she didnt wear any flowers in her hair that day and was weeping. Bhagavan noticed this and at once called her. When he asked her why she was crying, she said that she was feeling very sad to see what has become of her life. Immediately bhagavan as a loving father said to her ' what is there in this family life?. Do not worry. You are always welcome in the ashram. Always go to the house where they lovingly call you meenakshi. For all your needs, ashram will always take care.'

Isnt she very very blessed!

Subramanian Sir,

Your story only goes to prove that sh.muruganaar was not only a great saint but also a great great person who never forgot that he had one last responsibility to fulfill. Although he completely ignored meenakshi's presence during bhagavan's kaalam, he did not forget her in the later years!. The money left by him for her is such a great example of this!

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »
Below article gives more information regarding Meenakshi (wife of Sri Muruganar) where she recollects her experiences.

------------------

I was born the sixth daughter of Sri Periyakulam Krishna Iyer and Kanakammal on the fourth day of Panguni month, Saleevagna Sahabdha, 1823 (17-3-1902). My parents and elders called me Meenakshi. I was happy with my parents.

In the meantime, my father took sannyasa and became one of the leading devotees of Sri Ramana Bhagavan. (The father's name was Dandapani Swami). Later, my father went to Palani with Bhagavan's permission, constructed an ashram in South Giri Street, and lived there for some time. While he was there he came to our house in Rayapuram. During his visit, he gave a copy of Aksharamanamalai (The Marital Garland of Letters) to my husband. My husband went through them and after four days informed me that he was going to Thiruk kazhi Kunram. However, instead, he went straight to Tiruvannamalai.

When he saw Bhagavan, he felt that his whole body was burning. He wept and cried out complaining of a burning sensation without knowing what it was. The attendants around Bhagavan thought that he was mad. One attendant, Sri Ramakrishna Swami rubbed lemon juice on his head and poured pots of water over him. He stayed there for several days doing tapas and having Bhagavan's darshan. Then he returned to Madras and his job, but he had little interest in his work.

Then he began to go to Tiruvannamalai on all Saturdays and Sundays for one year. After my mother-in-Iaw's first annual ceremony, and without informing me, he resigned his job and went to Ramanathapuram. My neighbours telegrammed to my brother about my problem and he came to see me. Both of us went to the school and met the headmistress who was an English lady She said that he had resigned his job and left. I began to weep and she consoled me by saying that God would help me.

Then I went to Ramanathapuram with my brother and Muruganar came to visit us the night we arrived. I held his feet and wept. I requested him to point out my faults if any that made him leave me alone. He gave me no reply. Then I went to Raghava Iyengar, a great Tamil scholar in the town and told him about my troubles. Raghava talked to my husband but his words had no effect.

Meenakshi's father, Dandapani Swami was a permanent inmate of the Sri Ramanasramam. Her father presented her husband, Sri Muruganar a copy of the Aksharamanamalai sometime after her marriage.

A few days later, Sri Muruganar left home permanently for the ashram without telling anyone. "From that day he was totally absorbed in Bhagavan", she says."Searching for him I reached Sri Ramanasramam. I found him and yet did not find him for he was wholly Bhagavan's now."

Muruganar stayed near the temple in town with Eswaraswamigal and Gopal Rao. They used to go begging for their food at noon. Muruganar used to sit alone in Subramaniya Temple in the evening. One evening, acting on Santhammal's advice, I caught hold of his feet and asked, "What mistake have I done? Why did you leave? What will be my future? " In response he opened neither his mouth nor his eyes.

Soon after this incident; someone brought a piece of verse to the hall and put it before Bhagavan. Bhagavan wanted Muruganar to read it and said: "Muruganar has been absent for the last two days. What is the reason? " In response to this I went to Bhagavan and told him what I did at the temple on Santhammal's advice. Bhagavan got angry with me and said, "Why did you act like that on that woman's advice. You see, while he was here, you could see your husband. But now he has disappeared, what will you do? Hereafter, don't take other's advice and don't give trouble to Muruganar."

One day, all the devotees were sitting in the hall. I was in tears again. Bhagavan asked me. "Why are you crying again? Did some body tease you?" I said, "No one talked against me but I thought of my miserable life and the tears just came." Bhagavan said, "Why don't you take my advice? What is there in the family life. See, your father has ten children, but they are not helping him. What is the use? I am always here with you. Nothing will happen, don't worry." Thus Bhagavan consoled me.He said, "Go only to the house who calls you affectionately, Meenakshi '. The Ashram will take care of you."

Bhagavan then told Muruganar that he has not left him in the streets, but Muruganar has left Meenakshi in the streets. Muruganar got up laughing, but Bhagavan asked him to give a reply before getting up, but he went away without saying anything.

Then Bhagavan said, "I tried in so, many ways. It is of no use. God alone will look after you. "

Bhagavan was very kind to me.

His grace must be with me forever .....

Source: http://bhagavan-ramana.org/muruganarhowicametobhagavan.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
Muruganar did not leave Smt. Meenakshi, without providing any money
for her livelihood expenses.  But she had to be content with that, without
the company of her husband, which she did with all perserverence.  Behind
every Jnani, someone close to him, had to cry for the loss.  This happened
in the case of Bhagavan Ramana, Kanchi Mahaswamigal, Seshadri Swamigal,
Sadasiva Brahmendra and others.  This is inevitable.  But their 'sacrifice'
also should have conferred them great merits.

Muruganar had taken a decad of verses in praise of Bhagavan Ramana.
He was a great Tamil scholar and he could compose poems extempore.
He did these 10 songs as a presentation to the Guru and he wrote them
sitting in Arunachaleswa Temple.  But, when he took them to Bhagavan,
he could not even read one line properly, since he was deluged by emotions.  Bhagavan took that paper and read it Himself, as Siva wrote Saint Manikka-
vachagar's poems on Him, Himself!  This decad is called Sri Desika Padigam.  The Decad on Guru.  This is available in Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai.  The
first starts as:  From Kailas, which protects the whole universe, as Siva came down to Tiruperundurai to listen to Manikkavachakagar's songs, you have
come down from Kailas to Tiruvannamalai to listen to my poor poems.....

Arunachala Siva.     

viswanathan

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
Dear sri Subramanian,
                            After going through your post on Smt.Meenakshmi ammal w/o Sri Muruganar, i talked today to  my mother asking her to recollect an  incident which she told me few years back pertaining to Smt Meenakshi ammal.It is as follows
                           This incident took place around 1960 when we were living at  army quarters at Avadi where my father was posted.One day Smt Meenakshmi ammal came to our house  and asked my mother to serve some food telling that she was  very hungry and not taken food for some time.She said  that even if it is pazayadhu(left over food from previous day) it is OK.She was also having a note book and was collecting some donation from public and was noting the amount  in that note book.My mother immediately recognized  her as the wife of Sri Muruganar where as Meenakshmi ammal neither told that she is the wife of Muruganar nor she  recognized my mother (Meenakshmi ammal has seen my mother only as a child  at ashram around 30 years ago).My mother  immediately cooked fresh food and served the food to Meenakshmi ammal. After Meenakshmi ammal finished eating, my mother requested  Meenakshmi Ammal to sing the song which starts with verse Ponnolir vadivinane from Pnnolir Pattu.(My mother says that Meenakshmi ammal used to sing this song in the presence of Bhagavan and she had a very good voice). Meenakshmi ammal was surprised at this request and immediately she understood that my mother already knew her.Till then my mother did not tell Meenakshmi ammal that she knew her as wife of Sri.Muruganar.Then Meenakshmi ammal asked my mother who she was and my mother introduced herself as Rajalakshmi  grand daughter of Venuammal(sister of echammal)Then both talked for some time and before leaving ,my mother gave her a sari and some money.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »
Dear viswanthan,

Very moving story.  Such stories should be collected from the third generation
persons of disciples/devotees/visitors of the Asramam, during Bhagavan
Ramana's time.  I met one gentlemen during Brahmasri Nochur Venkatraman's
Satsangh in Bangalore in Sep. 2009.  His name is Mr. Sabhapathy.  (You
may be knowing him).  He said that he hails from Madurai and his mother
was of the same age as Bhagavan.  She started visiting T'malai, after
some years to see Bhagavan.  She had taken down the PonnoLir Pathu
of Satyamangalam Venkatarama Iyer, in hand writing (the book came in
print many many years later.  It is now available as Sri Ramana Stuti
Panchakam of Asramam.) and used to teach these songs to her children.
The children, after morning brushing of teeth, should chant PonnoLir Pathu
and then only coffee was given to them!

Arunachala Siva. 

viswanathan

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian,
                             Sri M.V.Sabhapathy whom you mentioned in the earlier post is known to me. He and his family are staunch devotees of Bhagavan.
Sri Sabhapathy's father Sri M.S.Venkatrama Iyer was the boyhood friend of Bhagavan.You can go through an interesting article titled "Sri Bhagavan and our family"written by Sri.Sabhapathy in  April 2006 issue of Mountain Path.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
Perhaps she should have remained as an inmate of the ashram itself..like sh.kunju swamigal, sampoornamma etc. She would not have had to struggle for food and other items...especially when she was growing old...