Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1017102 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5775 on: February 18, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You see a reflection in the mirror and the mirror. You know the mirror to be the reality and the picture in it a mere reflection. Is it necessary that to see the mirror we should cease to see the reflection in it? Or again take the screen illustration. There is a screen. On that screen first a figure appears. Before that figure on the same screen other pictures appear and the first figure goes on watching the other pictures. If you are the screen and know yourself to be the screen, is it necessary not to see the first figure and the subsequent pictures? When you don't know the screen you think the figure and pictures to be real. But when you know the screen and realise it is the only reality on which as substratum the shadows of the figure and pictures have been cast, you know these to be mere shadows. You may see the shadows, knowing them to be such and knowing yourself to be the screen which is the basis for them all.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: February 19, 2019, 08:49:05 AM »
Question: How can Silence be so powerful?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: A Realized One sends out waves of spiritual influence which draw many people towards Him. Yet He may sit in a cave and maintain complete silence. We may listen to lectures upon Truth and come away with hardly any grasp of the subject, but to come into contact with a Realized One, though He speaks nothing, will give much more grasp of the subject. He never needs to go out among the public. If necessary He can use others as instruments. The Guru is the bestower of Silence who reveals the Light of Self-knowledge which shines as the residual Reality. Spoken words are of no use whatsoever if the Eyes of the Guru meet the eyes of the disciple.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: February 19, 2019, 12:00:04 PM »
Question: Why do I never remember that I am the Self?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: People speak of memory and oblivion of the fullness of the Self. Oblivion and memory are only thought-forms. They will alternate so long as there are thoughts. But reality lies beyond these. Memory or oblivion must be dependent on something. That something must be foreign to the Self as well, otherwise there would not be oblivion. That upon which memory and oblivion depend is the idea of the individual self. When one looks for it, this individual `I' is not found because it is not real. Hence this `I' is synonymous with illusion or ignorance (maya, avidya or ajnana]. To know that there never was ignorance is the goal of all the spiritual teachings. Ignorance must be of one who is aware. Awareness is jnana (Knowledge). Jnana is eternal and natural, ajnana (ignorance) is unnatural and unreal.

Note:
Ajnana: Ignorance of one's own true nature.
Jnana: Knowledge (Knowledge of the real Self).

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: February 19, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:

Whatever is born must die; whatever is acquired must be lost; but were you born? You are eternally existent. The Self can never be lost. Why be concerned with what happens after death? Why ask whether you were born, whether you are reaping the fruits of your past karma, and so on? You will not raise such questions in a little while when you fall into deep sleep. Why? Are you a different person now from the one you are when asleep? No, you are not. Find out why such questions do not occur to you when you are asleep. Just as rivers lose their individuality when they discharge their waters into the ocean, and yet the waters evaporate and return as rain on the hills and back again through the rivers to the ocean, so also do individuals lose their individuality when they go to sleep but return to it when they awaken, each according to previous innate tendencies. Similarly, in death also, being is not lost. Latent potentialities withdraw into the Heart at death but do not perish. That is how beings are re-born.
The birth of the 'I'-thought is a person's birth and the death of the 'I'-thought is his death. After the 'I'-thought has arisen, wrong identification with the body arises. Identifying yourself with the body makes you falsely identify others also as their bodies. You believe you were born, grow old and will die, and so you believe others are born, grow old and will die.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:04:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: February 20, 2019, 11:57:21 AM »
Mr. Evans-Wentz: ?May one have more than one spiritual Master??

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Who is a Master? He is the Self after all. According to the stages of the development of the mind the Self manifests as the Master externally. The famous ancient saint Avadhuta said that he had more than 24 Masters. The Master is one from whom one learns anything. The Guru may be sometimes inanimate also, as in the case of Avadhuta. God, Guru and the Self are identical. A spiritual-minded man thinks that God is all-pervading and takes God for his Guru. Later, God brings him in contact with a personal Guru and the man recognises him as all in all. Lastly the same man is made by the grace of the Master to feel that his Self is the Reality and nothing else. Thus he finds that the Self is the Master.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: February 20, 2019, 11:59:32 AM »
The following wonderful Verses are from divine Poet, Sri Muruganar's Sri Ramana Anubhuti, first published in 1948, more than twenty years after he had the experiences as described below :

I was a learned fool. My flawed mind knew nothing till I came to dwell with him whose glance filled my heart with the light of awareness. I entered into union with the deathless state of knowledge of the Reality.

As the deadly delusion of a body-bound ego faded, a flower of pure light unfolded at his holy feet. That radiance grew ever brighter with my love until I realised the flawless knowledge of the Self, manifesting as the unbroken awareness 'I-I' within my heart.

I was wandering deluded in the mind's labyrinth of dreams, rushing hither and thither, desiring one thing then another until the joy of union with the Lord welled up within me. My body merged into the infinite light of divine wisdom and my heart was filled with a deep inner tranquility.

He is the teacher of the eternal law through whose glance the truth unfolded, filling my heart with the dazzling radiance of blissful consummate grace, so that the body, ego and intellect were all no more. I became merged in the divine silence, which is abiding knowledge of Lord Siva.

A noble lion, he fixed the victorious gaze of true knowledge upon the rutting elephant of my ego, which was drunk with self-conceit, filling me with the sweet nectar of union with Lord Siva, so that the inner experience of divine wisdom became my whole existence.

My poor helpless mind was swept along in the swirling torrent of objective phenomena until my Lord guided my deluded understanding into the broad calm of his holy silence so that the light of his majesty shined in my heart.

I read the scriptures but my mind could not grasp their meaning. It was only through the gracious intervention of my wise teacher and Master, working inwardly, that his own state of unbroken meditation became permanent within me and my heart was penetrated and held in Reality?s eternal grasp.

Languishing in the slough of my soul?s defilement, I knew not a single moment of clear understanding until my Lord revealed to me myself as Brahman. Transporting me into a realm of pure bliss, the vision of the authentic Self expanded within my heart and I attained the state of grace whose essence is love.

I, poor sinner, gripped by the bonds of excessive desire, I was deluded by my ruinous attachment to the pleasures of the senses. But when he conferred upon me the bliss of his true knowledge, all delusion was dispelled. Dwelling thus as one with Sri Ramana is nothing less than union with Lord Siva.

Setting me on the straight path of true knowledge he led me to the glorious goal of union with him in the one-pointed state of holy silence. My heart's gracious jewel, true wisdom's sun, he dissipated the dark clouds of the senses' illusory world.

And now within my heart full of joy I made for him a home I can receive no other. Only he remains, the Supreme Self, manifesting as consciousness, pure light, empty and yet replete.

Gaining a new life, I spent it singing praises to the lofty truth of his glorious name, albeit in feeble words of little worth. But my Lord did not deem my hymns unworthy. Embracing me in the outpouring of his affection, with more than mother's love, he banished my deadly delusion and made me his servant.

Beneath my Guru's gaze my heart was emptied of guile so that the false understanding that has usurped my heart disappeared completely, and there, in the silence of his holy feet, the pure ocean of the Self, swept me into the deep bliss of the absolute Godhead.

Surrounded by desires that led me astray, my heart was hardened and my understanding was tricked by the illusion of a personal self. Hail to the Lord who through his love refreshed my heart, banishing my deluded attachment to land ownership, wealth and women.

Anil
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:02:25 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: February 20, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »
SRI ANNAMALAI SWAMI _/\_
Living by the Words of Bhagavan

"Mind is only a collection of thoughts and the thinker who thinks them. The thinker is the 'I'-thought, the primal thought which rises from the Self before all others, which identifies with all other thoughts and says, 'I am this body'. When you have eradicated all thoughts except for the thinker himself by ceaseless enquiry or by refusing to give them any attention, the 'I'-thought sinks into the Heart and surrenders, leaving behind it only an awareness of consciousness. This surrender will only take place when the 'I'-thought has ceased to identify with rising thoughts. While there are still stray thoughts which attract or evade your attention, the 'I'-thought will always be directing its attention outwards rather than inwards. The purpose of self-Inquiry is to make the 'I'-thought move inwards, towards the Self. This will happen automatically as soon as you cease to be interested in any of your rising thoughts."

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: February 21, 2019, 09:00:13 AM »
Devotee: How did the wrong identity ('I am the body' idea) arise?

Bhagwan Sri Ramanai: Due to thoughts. If these thoughts are put an end to, the real Self should shine forth of itself.

Devotee: How are these thoughts to be ended?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Find out their basis. All of them are strung on the single 'I-thought'. Quell it; all others are quashed. Moreover there is no use knowing all except the Self. If the Self is known all others become known. Hence is Self-Realisation the primary and sole duty of man.

Devotee: How to quell the 'I-thought'?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: If its source is sought it does not arise, and thus it is quelled.

Devotee: Where and how to find it?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: It is in fact the consciousness which enables the individuals to function in different ways. Pure Consciousness is the Self. All that is required to realise the Self is to 'Be Still'.

Devotee: What can be easier than that?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: So Self-Knowledge (Atma Vidya) is the easiest of attainment.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:01:50 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: February 21, 2019, 11:47:17 AM »
ABHAYASHATAKAM
By
Sri Jagdiswara Sastri   ( Atmavidyabhushanam)

1. O Brahman, Lord Ramana, a wish I have to utter in secret at Thy Holy Feet. I pray Thee, hear it now. True, nothing on Earth remains unknown to Thee, the Foremost among the all-knowing. Yet, to keep unspoken what should be spoken, would eat away our hearts.

2. O Lord, O Master Ramana, we, afraid of worldly life with its evils and anxious to be freed from them, have sought refuge at Thy Feet. And yet some fear pursues us from our hidden foes; it nears; it grows irresistibly; it troubles us. Root it out, Lord, or else give us Sanctuary and give Thy word, 'FEAR NOT'!

3. O Lord, well Thou holdest all the strings of this world?s puppet-show. Like Markandeya, fearing Death and taking refuge in Siva, in all humility we seek and serve Thy Glorious Being. Does it become Thee, Lord, to withhold Thy Grace and to cause us fear?

4. Here and there the Vedanta speaks of Brahman inspiring fear. But this is with reference only to objects created by maya (illusion), not with reference to Reality. Otherwise, where is the scope for the unobstructed freedom from fear realized by the great ones liberated by a particle of Thy Grace?

5. The Upanishads say that fear will persist so long as the illusory perception of name and form persists. How can there still be fear of duality for us, who are within sight of Thee, who, firmly established in the non-dual Reality, shinest forth in Thine own peerless splendour? Or is the Upanishadic teaching of no significance.

6. Famed as one having taken the vow to grant Liberation to souls in bondage, and as being dedicated to giving sanctuary to the distressed, may the Great Master, beneficent and kind, make us prosperous. May Sri Ramana dispel from our minds all fear, the product of ignorance which is the root-cause of all misery. This is our prayer.

7. May my mind ever rejoice in the Lotus-feet of Lord Ramana! May my mind drink the honey of words from His lotus-mouth! May my mind ever meditate on His resplendent divine form! May the great Master Ramana be my final Goal.

8. To Sri Ramana, the Supreme Teacher of Truth, the Holy Dweller in Arunachala, self-controlled, with body self-endowed through maya, steadfast in the Self, with mind melting in love, calm, ascetic, affording Bliss to those immersed in the ocean of samsara, salutations for ever and ever.

Ever meditate on Sri Ramana, the foremost of sages,   Who is one with Lord Arunachala, and who is the giver of bliss to all, as seated in the lotus-pose, with a smiling face, embodiment of Lord Dakshinamurty, clad in loin-cloth, ever absorbed in the inexpressible Glory of the Heart, shining by His own light, with eyes full of grace and with devotees serving at His feet.

May the Master Sri Ramana who pervades and sustains the whole universe, fulfill all the noble desires of those who recite this hymn.

Sri Jagdiswara Sastri         
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:49:42 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: February 22, 2019, 08:52:01 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The Self (Atma) is like a powerful hidden magnet within us. It draws us gradually to itself, though we imagine we are going to it of our own accord. When we are near enough, it puts an end to our other activities, makes us still, and then swallows up our own personal current, thus killing our personality. It overwhelms the intellect and over floods the whole being. We think we are meditating upon it and developing towards it, whereas the truth is that we are as iron fillings and it is the Atman-magnet (Self-magnet) that is pulling us towards Itself. Thus the process of finding Self is a form of Divine Magnetism. 

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:54:27 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: February 22, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The vision implies the seer. The seer cannot deny the existence of the Self. There is no moment when the Self as Consciousness does not exist; nor can the seer remain apart from Consciousness. This Consciousness is the eternal Being and the only Being. The seer cannot see himself. Does he deny his existence because he cannot see himself with the eyes as pratyaksha (immediate and direct Knowledge)? No! So, pratyaksha (immediate Knowledge) does not mean seeing, but BE-ing.

'To BE' is to realise - Hence I AM THAT I AM. I AM is Siva. Nothing else can be without Him. Everything has its being in Siva and because of Siva. Therefore enquire 'Who am I?' Sink deep within and abide as the Self. That is Siva as BE-ing. Do not expect to have visions of Him repeated. What is the difference between the objects you see and Siva? He is both the subject and the object. You cannot be without Siva. Siva is always realised here and now. If you think you have not realised Him it is wrong. This is the obstacle for realising Siva. Give up that thought also and realisation is there.

Devotee: Yes. But how shall I effect it as quickly as possible?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: This is the obstacle for realisation. Can there be the individual without Siva? Even now He is you. There is no question of time. If there be a moment of non-realisation, the question of realisation can arise. But as it is you cannot be without Him. He is already realised, ever realised and never non-realised.

Note: Siva--->GOD as Existence-Consciousness-Bliss
anil
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:05:54 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: February 22, 2019, 12:04:32 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: All these are however on the assumption that the jiva is separate from the Self or Brahman. But are we separate? 'No', says the Jnani (a Person who has attained Self-knowledge). The ego is simply wrong identity of the Self with the non-self, as in the case of a colourless crystal and its coloured background. The crystal though colourless appears red because of its background. If the background is removed the crystal shines in its original purity. So it is with the Self and the antahkaranas (inner organs).

Still again the illustration is not quite appropriate. For the ego has its source from the Self and is not separate like the background from the crystal. Having its source from the Self, the ego must only be retraced in order that it might merge in its source. The centre of the ego and its core is called the Heart, the same as the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: Today at 08:44:37 AM »
Sri Paul BRUNTON: What exactly is this Self of which you speak? If what you say is true there must be another self in man.

Bhagwan SRI RAMANA: Can a man be possessed of two identities, two selves? To understand this matter it is first necessary for a man to analyse himself. Because it has long been his habit to think as others think, he has never faced his 'I' in the true manner. He has not a correct picture of himself; he has too long identified himself with the body and the brain. Therefore I tell you to pursue this enquiry, 'Who am I?'
You ask me to describe this true Self to you. What can be said? It is That out of which the sense of the personal 'I' arises and into which it will have to disappear.

Sri Paul BRUNTON: Disappear? How can one lose the feeling of one's personality?

Bhagwan SRI RAMANA: The first and foremost of all thoughts, the primeval thought in the mind of every man, is the thought 'I'. It is only after the birth of this thought that any other thoughts can arise at all. It is only after the first personal pronoun, 'I', has arisen in the mind that the second personal pronoun, 'you', can make its appearance. If you could mentally follow the 'I' thread until it led you back to its source you would discover that, just as it is the first thought to appear, so it is the last to disappear. This is a matter which can be experienced.

Sri Paul BRUNTON: You mean that it is possible to conduct such a mental investigation into oneself?

Bhagwan SRI RAMANA: Certainly. It is possible to go inwards until the last thought, 'I', gradually vanishes.

Sri Paul  BRUNTON: What is then left? Will a man then become quite unconscious or will he become an idiot?

Bhagwan SRI RAMANA: No; on the contrary, he will attain that consciousness which is immortal and he will become truly wise when he has awakened to his true Self, which is the real nature of man.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:47:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »