Author Topic: Upadesha Saram  (Read 69608 times)

matthias

• View Profile
Re: Upadesha Saram
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »
yes I do see

but for me dropping of the ego means much more then just this seeing

that is what I mean, no one in this forum reached the deadless// ego-less state (this does not mean that I cannot be wrong)....we are here gathering as this internet satsang or sangha to discuss and see if someone reached this state, to proofe his claim if he has a claim...

and until we are totally gone and 100% brahman and identified with it in sleep deeplsleep and waking (and beyond the three) then we can talk about this "ego is an illision" before this day we are all pretty involved iwith the ego some more some less....

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2009, 10:04:44 AM »
I shall, in this second serial, write about certain other connected
things.

Most of us know that Muruganar was writing the Daruka Forest story and he wanted Bhagavan Ramana to write the portion of Siva's
advices to Daruka forest brahmins.  What is this Daruka Forest story?
Where does it appear?  It appears in Skanda Puranam, Daksha Kandam, as a dialogue between Saint Dadichi and Daksha.  While
describing Siva's glory, Saint Dadichi tells about the happening in
daruka forest.  The brhamins there were performing vedic sacrifices
with huge fire and other required things like, milk, ghee, firewood,
sandal paste etc., They were all thinking that sacrifices per se,
that is karmam per se would confer them liberation.  Siva came there naked as a beggar.  Along with him, was Vishnu as Mohini, his wife, with surpassing beauty!  The wives of the brahmins were enchanted by the handsomeness of the beggar Siva.  The brahmins themselves were allured by the beauty of Mohini.  The wives were rushing to give Siva, food, leaving all their connected work in the sacrifices.
Chidamabra Mahatmyam says, "their breasts were swelling and their upper clothes were tearing..."  The brahmins got angry with Siva.  They sent a tiger, and Siva skinned it and wore the skin as lower garment. Then the elephent came. The same fate, Siva wore it as
upper garment.  Then came the fire, Siva took it on his hand. Then came the serpents. Siva wore them as ornaments.  Finally came, Apasmara, the embodiment/conglomeration of sins.  He crushed him and started dancing the Cosmic Dance.  His matted locks were flowing in all eight directions. 

The brahmins then knew their defeat.  They sought His advices.
Siva: Enough of your karmas. Start seeing within, with a calm mind,
the godehead that is within you.  The karmas yield results only because of me, and karmas per se will never confer liberation.  Karmas are insentient and they do not have "life" in them to give you liberation.

Thus started the famous Kartur agnya..... Upadesa Saram.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »
Verse 1 of Upadesa Saram:

"By the will of the Creator, action bears fruit.
Is action, then, supreme?
No, it is inert, unconscious."

(D.S. Sastri's translation)

He further quotes a story.  In the Yoga Vasishta, the Crow-Yogi,
Kaka Bhusunda, was asked why he had survived for so many ages.
He replied: "Who will be able to overstep the strict ordinance of Siva?
His will was that I should act thus and other Yogis should work out the way they did.  As every pre-ordained event, should work out its results, such events will inevitably come to pass.  Such is the nature of the law."

Arunachala Siva.   

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
excellent and wonderful explanation by every participant especially to srkudai,subramanium and Dr raju garu.

Great thread!!!!!!