Author Topic: Guide me...  (Read 5177 times)

ghoshorasit

• View Profile
    • Tuff Trak International
Guide me...
« on: January 01, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »
Dear Member,

I have carried deep reverence for the Ramana Ashram after visiting this serene and sacred place in 1993.

After working as an educationist and a trainer in the behavioral field, now at 57, I have more less relinquished commerce and have shifted to a serene locale in West Bengal called Santiniketan, from Delhi. Strangely, despite earning some worthwhile respect and love of many many students and clients, I hardly saved money. I am single and maintain a fairly clean life with keen interest in literature and spiritual studies. I have been deeply infulenced by Tagore's Geetanjali and other songs which have mystic roots in the Upanishads and Vedantic doctrines. I also read with great excitement 'An autobiography of a Yogi', 'Tibet's great yogi Milarepa', 'The power of Now' and the complete explanation of Bhagabat Geeta by Swami Chinmayanada. I have always been on and off with Bible and feel great love for Jesus Christ. When I was very young(1968), all by accident I received initiation in the Sri Ramakrishna order by a saintly person who was a family man but hardly followed my rituals. Except a few days of close company with my Guru, I did not develop my deep love and association with him.

I have always taken my life as a robust adventure, taken fearless risks and suffered major financial and emotional set backs. But, I have generally been sincere and honest to self and faithful to God. This was perhaps one reason why I was neither shaken off the ground nor worsted. I am without any capital or resources now but feel steady and excited to pursue a positive way of life. My inner inkling guides me to feel that I shall find my way to travel fully in the spiritual track with complete dedication and must attain self-realization. Although, I admit that I have not studied much of the literatures of Sri Ramana Maharishi, but I don't know why I feel a deep calling in my heart for the master and thought i shall find a place at his lotus feet at the Raman Ashram. I had nurtured a silent desire to stay and work for the Ramana Ashram one day.

I have found very enlightened people in this fraternity and became its member only yesterday. You may agree, the spiritual quest is very discrete and serene and it is difficult to get a true friend with whom you can relate and ask some questions. I am a bit restless now and have a few questions. Will any enlihghtened and advanced member who are sure of guiding me properly help me with his or her views? My questions are:
    i) Do you think  I need a Guru?  But, I don't want a ritualistic Guru who will initiate me and I won't get his direct company. I also feel, I would mature into meeting the Guru, rather than searching for one!

ii) Will the Ramana Ashram and its ideology be the right answer to my quest? Is it based on meditation-yoga or gyan-yoga or bhakti-yoga (while all should be integral, I wanted to know what was the primary mode practised here)?

iii) Finally, is it possible to permanently stay and work in the ashram?

I eagerly await  some valuable guidance, please.

With sincere love and regards,

Asit Ghosh

(www.tufftrak.com, www.attitudeasit.ning.com, ghoshorasit@gmail.com)[/b][/color][/size][/size]
A traveler in selfactualization, seeking to experience "Who I am?".

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Guide me...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »
My dear Asit Ghosh,

Your post. 

1. Since you have already been initiated into some practices by the
disciples of Sri Ramakrishna, I sincerely feel that you can continue
your practice.  Being unfaithful to your Gure, you can always read
the teachings and life of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.  For that
matter, both the orders extol Advaita.  Bhagavan Ramana has told
on a few occasions that unless there was an urgent inner call, there
was no need to change Guru, which is again only a play of the mind
and ego.   

2. To stay in Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai is possible with prior
request and confirmation, for only three days.  For a longer stay you
have to find an accommodation in the hotels of Tiruvannamalai or become
a paying guest for some residents.  The stay in hotels would be expensive,
since there is a large tourist population in Tiruvannamalai for seeing the
Temple and the Asramam.

3.  Service and stay inside the Asramam, will be difficult since there are
many many waiting in the queue and the authorities cannot avail the
services of all.

With love,

Arunachala Siva.

Disciple

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »
Dear Ghoshorasit,
Each individual is unique and his personality can never be the same as any other, therefore his spiritual quest also will be unique. Your path is the one which you will take, and that is that. The important thing is your sincerity and intensity of desire to find the truth, and the path and the Guru will be there.
Also be very clear as to what you are seeking. Is it an expereince or are you seeking to make your life better by spiritual practise? Or are you seeking to know the truth about yourself, as an end in itself or for some other purpose?  Anwsering these questions might give you an insight into your quest.
I hope I have been of some help.
May the blessings of Bhagavan and all the sages be always with you.

munagala

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »
Dear Sir,

Pranams!

Bhagavan Ramana says "A guru is one who pushes the mind from outside and pulls from inside". What this means? A guru makes you search for the truth within youself. A guru is necessary until we reach the final destination. He also says "A guru need not be in physical form".

There is no question of changing Gurus as the Gurus/Jnanis themselves do not differ.  Then let us talk about change of path.
I feel that it is through divine grace that you have been directed to this path of Gyan marg or self-inquiry which only the fittest can follow.
Guess you might have attained the fitness by your long study of various religious texts.

As per Bhagavan what ever path you follow initially culminates in self-enquiry without which no one can experince the bliss.
sir, the decision is yours.

I am answering only your first question here.

REgards,
Munagala

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »
in my eyes ramana maharshi "bhagawan" is such an intense light and guide for the soul that he is guiding all seekers in our times (he is mentioned in all stories of awakening, also from buddhists, and alot of tibetan lamas quote him)

I think that he will guide you anyway, he will guide oyu to teachers, meditations etc...

he is doing this in my case, you see I do not follow a special religion or teacher...it is not neccessary...I just feel his presence and guidance..at the moment I study buddhism (tibetan) and you know what, in dzogchen meditation gnana marga is a quint essential part (mind meditating on mind)

in the surath shabda tradition of baba faqir chant you meditate on the divine sound and also you practice a kind of slef inquery

all the geniune ways have slef inquery as a part..it is essential.....

vinita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:09:39 PM »
i) Do you think  I need a Guru?  But, I don't want a ritualistic Guru who will initiate me and I won't get his direct company. I also feel, I would mature into meeting the Guru, rather than searching for one!

ii) Will the Ramana Ashram and its ideology be the right answer to my quest? Is it based on meditation-yoga or gyan-yoga or bhakti-yoga (while all should be integral, I wanted to know what was the primary mode practised here)?

iii) Finally, is it possible to permanently stay and work in the ashram?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think we don't have answers to another's quest / questions. Mararishi also left us to seek and find our way. Of course, grace of a guru helps. But then each one of us has our own sensitivities to these things. One may be moved to tears...another may sit like a rock. Spiritual quest may also be about heightening our sensitivities to the grace all around us...waiting to be tapped. Sometimes a friend may say something which goes right to the heart and he or she becomes a guru.

when i was at the ashram sometime back i too felt like living and serving there. But i am not sure if it was a momentary impulse.

sadhana is a must on the spiritual path. one could perhaps describe sadhana as the "efforts" required to make us "connect" with who we really are. Sadhana appears to be difficult at times...like a huge struggle. The blocks are perhaps to be found within us. once these dissolve (i hope), we become more receptive to the grace of the gurus all around us. Then all struggle / efforts cease....all questions become irrelevant.

Right now, like a fellow being, i too am asking questions / seeking answers which i know shows my "disconnect" with guru / Self.

Guru Brahma, Guru Vishnu, Guru Devo Maheshwara;
Guru Sakshat Param Brahma; Tasmai Shri Guruveh Namah

Love,

vinita

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »
Dear vinita,

Yes. Bhagavan Ramana only said to enquire, Who am I? and not
Who are We? or Who are You?  Each one, according to his inclination.
But He said not to change the Guru, unless there is a strong inner
call.  The Guru need not be a living Guru, since the Guru is the Self
and the self has no beginning, no end, ever present, beyond death and birth.  For example, David Godman came to Tiruvannamalai many years after Bhagavan Ramana's Maha Nirvana.

Arunachala Siva.