Author Topic: Where a devotee should go  (Read 3402 times)

V.S.Krishnan

• View Profile
Where a devotee should go
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:15:25 AM »
Once, a devotee came to Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi and said: "Swamiji, I want to find peace and fulfillment in life.  Can I go to the forest and do penance (Tapas)?

Bhagawan replied:  "You may go to some holy places, a solitary place or a forest.   But wherever you go, chances are, you may be carrying the same mind, the same 'Vasanas, the same Karmas and the same ego.   What needs to be done is self-examination from wherever you are.   Self-examination or Athma Vichara paves the way for self realization.   For Athma Vichara, which is a self-initiating and self-sufficient exercise, It is not important where you go and but how deep you go within yourself.  You may do the Vichara from home or from forest and what is important is the quest to know the 'true Self". 

It is almost the same situation for a pilgrim.  He goes to Guruvayoor, Palani, Tirupati and even distant places like Banaras, Kedar Nath, Badri Nath and Kailash Mansarovar and returns with an assumed sense of satisfaction.  Wherever he goes, he goes with the same mind and returns with the same mind.  He may have bathed in the holy Ganga, but the ego may not have been washed away   The ego is the projection of the mind that gives a false notion of "I".  Instead of routing it out, it is being nursed and nourished.  It is the ego that conducts one's life.  Even at the time of worship, one remains under the influence of body, mind, senses and intellect.  He then prays for all worldly matters that satisfy his 'ego -self', and returns to his own material world with the same mindset; the same likes and dislikes, attachments and affiliations, desires and expectations, prejudices and biases.   Wherever he goes, these characteristics of the 'ego self' also travel with him, like a shadow. 

Every temple has a divinity of its own.  The temples radiate the light of knowledge and grace all over.  A pilgrim, in pursuit of spiritual quest, would indeed make a progress by visiting the temple and deriving the divine grace of the Lord but the pilgrim should simultaneously seek his real identity there.  He should visit the temple not only to pray but to shed his 'ego self' . The temple visit is not complete unless it helps him to discard his false identifications.  The temple visit should be used to pray for the fulfillment of his mission of realizing his true self. 

V.S. Krishnan
www.thiruppugazh.org

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Where a devotee should go
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
To add to what V.S. Krishanan said, Bhagavan tells in Sat-
Darsanam - Supplement 4 and 5, " Fever is overcome by the
cool light of the moon, want by the good wish-yielding tree, and sin
by the Holy Ganges.  Those three, fever, want and sin all flee at the
august sight of the precious sage.  Holy rivers and gods which are only water and idols, which are made of stone and clay, are not as mighty
as the sages are.  For while they make one pure in due course of
countless days, the sage's eyes by a mere glance, purify at once.
Kavyakanta Muni is reported to have said others:  "Do not directly
sit before Maharshi's glance, lest you might get rid of all 'vasanas'
and also the household!  (Ramana Leela) 

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »
Devotion starts with desire and ends in surrender.It takes a very long time for the preparation of the mind for God realisation.Visiting holy places definitely helps
in the spiritual progress.I feel presence of God in many temples.They are not just stone idols as many think.They have the capacity to confer boons and prepare
the devotee for self-knowledge.We cannot expect all the people to go to their interior and do self-enquiry on their own without some help from the divine.
pvssnraju

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »
Dear DRPSSVN Raju, you are right.  Bhakti - devotion
leads to Atma Bhakti or Self -Surrender, and it
culminates in enquriy and self realization.  Bhagavan
used to say:  Bhakti is Jnana Matha.  Devotion is the
mother of Wisdom.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:08:51 PM »
Yester day I went to Thiruvidaimaruthur, a famous Lord Shiva Temple ,  near Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Alma Gentil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:50:16 AM »
Last year August.2012 I visited Arunachaleswarar Temple and led my steps to Patala Lingam. I sat on the ground near a column, closed my eyes and just stayed there in silence waiting to feel The Presence of The Maharshi. I opened my eyes and observed the photo on the wall in front of me, of Young Ramana. Suddenly, I noticed on the floor, by my side, one small package I had not seen before, made of newsprint paper, carefully and artfully folded... it contained sacred clay to make tilaka... I felt blessed...