Author Topic: The Human body is a blessing or cursing  (Read 4837 times)

ramanaduli

• View Profile
The Human body is a blessing or cursing
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »
Dear sirs.

We all human beings got body. Take it commonly, irrespective of the sex. We know common man how he would take this body. We need not go to his views. But some sages they say it a obstacle for liberation, Bhagavan also says it is a curse, birth place for all disease having a body itself is a disease. On the otherhand many sages praise God for giving such a nice body. where they can see Him, talk sing and dance His glory.  Can others give their own views.

Ramanaduli

gangajal

• View Profile
Re: The Human body is a blessing or cursing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 02:26:45 AM »
Dear Ramanaduli,

The human body is both. It is a curse because it is subjected to sufferings like old age, death etc.
It is a blessing because it allows us to gain moksha.

Gangajal

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »
Dear Ramanaduli,

Human body is the vehicle for a person to attain liberation.  As
Gangajal said, it is a blessing.  At the same time, if you understand
the stages of a human being, birth, growth, disease, senility, and
decay, then it is a curse.  It is left to us to convert the curse into
blessing. 

Arunachala Siva. 

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »
Dear Ramanaduli,
                       Human body gives an opportunity for us to do spiritual practice.With Jnanendriyas we can perceive Lord's manifestation.
With karmendriyas we can adore the Lord.This body and mind is not ours,it is his property, so we must utilise it for his service only.
Then the body is a benediction rather than a curse.
pvssnraju

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
Excellent reply raju garu and Subramanian garu.

Sri Sadhu Om says Our body is like the shop rented by the businessman.

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=4466.0

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 10:00:40 AM »

Dear prasanth,

Human body is necessary to attain Sadhana.  But if one tries to
attain liberation, with the body, and for this sake he tries to keep
the body with great care, then it is like trying to cross the ocean
on a crocodiles' back!  ULLadu Narpadu, Supplement, Verse 12.

Arunachala Siva.

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Who is it a blessing or curse for?
Find out who then see. Such would be Ramana's answer.

viswanathan

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
Sri Sadhu om swamigal in "Path Of Ramana",says that only human beings can attain moksha since they alone have the capacity to experience all three states,ie  waking state (Jagrat), dream state(Swapna) and deep sleep state(sushupthi) .Aftere realising that  that these three states are not real, they  can realize  the fourth state, that is Turiya or Samadhi state which is a state of realization..In the case of Deavas, they can experience only  waking state, In the case of animals, they can experience only sleep state whereas plants  can experience states only  between waking and sleep state  .If Devas, animal and  plants have  to attain moksha,  they also have to born as human beings.Hence of all the births, to be born as human being is a great blessing.

viswanathan

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Human body is necessary to attain Sadhana.  But if one tries to
attain liberation, with the body, and for this sake he tries to keep
the body with great care, then it is like trying to cross the ocean
on a crocodiles' back!  ULLadu Narpadu, Supplement, Verse 12.

Arunachala Siva.
Dear Subramanian,
                        You are right that human body is necessary to attain moksha.However,If you want to practice sadhana, you have to take care of the body.If the body is afflicted with disease and suffers from pain due to disease, then in that state it is very difficult to practice sadhana..Not only we have to keep our body healthy but we should have healthy mind.As Swami Suddhananda says, if we are in the state of agitation from morning to evening and if we sit for meditation in the evening, then instead of meditation, we will get only agitation.If a person is struggling to get even one  meal a day, and suffers due want of food,then any amount of preaching about spirituality to  a starving person  will not go into his ears.I am able to practice sadhana, because i am reasonably healthy and there is no need for  basic needs such as food, shelter , clothing etc.In this context, it will be of interest to read the philosophy Mr.Hugo Meier, a staunch devotee of Bhagavan who started Shantimalai Trust which is doing a yeomen service to people around Tiruvannamalai.When he saw poor people around TVMalai, his heart melted and his first task was to  raise the standard of living of poor people around TVMalai by imparting skills,providing Cows for livelihood, starting schools and providing  health care  which are all necessary to keep the body healthy..After meeting their basic needs, he started preaching spirituality and the people accepted his teachings since their basic needs have been met.
I am convinced that if I am not healthy and hungry , I cannot receive spiritual instructions because the pain to my body due to hunger and disease will not allow me to turnto spirituality

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »

Dear viswanthan

You are correct.  That is why I had stated "body with great care".
Perhaps the phrase "body with more than necessary care" might
have been better.  Bhagavan Ramana used herbal medicines and
English medicines to the extent necessary.  To take more than
necessary care, like inessential vitamins, face lifting measures
like cosmetics, or costly soaps and hair oils, daily shave to look
more handsome  -- He did not do all these things.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Yes body care is very much required but it should not be the sole motive of our life.

I find Sri Sadhu Om example as described earlier very apt.

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=4466.0

Without 'I am the doer' attitude Charity is very necessary and even bhagavan ramana used to feed poor people and he never used to take food before sadhu's are feed properly.

Somehow whenever i recollect these type of incidents i really get frustation why is that i never got a chance to meet our bhagavan.

Just a glimpse of his physical appearance once is enough for me please god please...

Glory to Guru Ramana.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:23:33 PM by prasanth_ramana_maharshi »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »

Dear viswanathan,

Of all births a human birth is the most essential to work out attainment of moksha.  I agree.  But there are a few rare examples
in the history of civilization, like cactus bush which was given mokshsa by Umapati Sivam, and Cow Lakshmi, VaLLi, the deer,
Jackie the dog and a crow by Bhagavan Ramana.  Some great saints
had to take one more birth as  living beings but not as humans, like Jadabharata, who had to take birth as a deer. 

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
Mana Eva Manushyaanaam Kaaranam Bandha Mokshaha.

Mind alone is the cause for Bondage as well as Freedom.

The mind is body as well.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

viswanathan

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 06:35:39 AM »

Dear viswanthan
.  Bhagavan Ramana used herbal medicines and
English medicines to the extent necessary.  To take more than
necessary care, like inessential vitamins, face lifting measures
like cosmetics, or costly soaps and hair oils, daily shave to look
more handsome  -- He did not do all these things.

Arunachala Siva.
Dear Subramanian,
                        I agree with you that Bhagavan led a simple living with minimum requirement  for sustenance and his life was  his message.I have never seen Bhagavan wearing chappals in any photos or videos..Also there is no photo showing garland around his neck nor he wearing flower crown (Malar kridam)around his neck  nor rudraksham mala around his neck which are all common with modern gurus.In the group photos of Bhagaan ,we can see devotees sitting along with him side by side whereas wrt modern gurus, deotoees will not be allowed to sit in same level along with gurus.Bhagavan fits hundred percent wrt to qualification prescribed in scriptures for Jeevan Muktas.. Now a days,there are many gurus and the devotees are confused whether the guru is real or fake and the  devotees fall into trap.Such devotees  can easily recognize a real guru  if they compare the life of such gurus with that of Bhagavan to conclude whether such guru is real or fake.Bhagavan Ramana is a Gold Standard.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »
Dear Ramanaduli, Human body is only a blessing. Every exsistence is blessing anyway. Even,human or not,everything will reach same goal sooner or later. If this body is illusion how it can be a curse?! Yes we sufer. But,we are part of Him. And we will exsist always. How glorious! Even without realisation human body is a blessing. We are realised anyway. We exsist,that is the best blessing we can have,i believe. And dont stop asking question if you have them. It is the way. The time will come when questions wont come anymore,by itself. With Gods grace.