Author Topic: Why god gives troubles to devotees?  (Read 2569 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Why god gives troubles to devotees?
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:15:52 PM »
Once someone asked Bhagavan Ramana:

"Even for one who walks on good path, gets all sorts of troubles
and tribulations, why?"

Bhagavan Ramana replied:

"It is good that devotees get troubles and tribulations."  Then He
took out a poem from Guhai Namasviaya and read out:

" The washerman smashes the clothes on the stone slab vigorously.
Why?  Is it for tearing the clothes?  It is only for removing the dirt
on the clothes.  Like that, God gives troubles to the devotees only
to purify their minds and not to annihilate them."

He continued:  "What we need is perseverance and chitta suddhi."

(Source:  Sri Ramana Ninaivugal - Tamil - Annaamalai Swami.)

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Why god gives troubles to devotees?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »
On other occasion he said "If there were no suffering, how could the desire to be happy arise? If that desire did not arise, how could the quest of the Self arise?"

Whole conversation goes like this.

D - Devotee
M - Ramana Maharshi

D.: I have a toothache; is that only a thought?

B.: Yes.

D.: Then why can’t I think that there is no toothache, and so cure myself?

B.: One does not feel the toothache when one is absorbed in other thoughts or when asleep.

D.: But still it remains.

B.: So strong is man’s conviction of the reality of the world that it is not easily shaken off. But the world is no more real than the individual who sees it.

D.: But why should there be suffering now?

B.: If there were no suffering, how could the desire to be happy arise? If that desire did not arise, how could the quest of the Self arise?

D.: Then is all suffering good?

B.: Yes. What is happiness? Is it a healthy and handsome body, regular meals and so on? Even an emperor has endless troubles although he may be in good health. So all suffering is due to the false notion ‘I am the body’. Getting rid of this is knowledge.

Source: The Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi in His Own Words book

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:46:05 PM »
On yet another occasion talk goes like this.

Talk 197

Devotee.: Being always Being-Consciousness-Bliss, why does God place us in difficulties? Why did He create us?

Maharshi : Does God come and tell you that He has placed you in difficulties? It is you who say so. It is again the wrong ‘I’. If that disappears there will be no one to say that God created this or that.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
The troubles in the form of miseries and sorrow comes only when there is mind-
body complex.  Bhagavan Ramana uses the deep sleep example to prove that
one can be without body and mind.  The discussions regarding sushupti, deep sleep,
come more than 90 times in Talks.

Dear grhluna,

Lakshmi is normally understood as bestower of wealth.  But she is in fact, Grace.
Grace is given as per the wishes of the devotee.  If one someone wants self enquiry
and Liberation therefrom, it is given.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
All problems are mind/body creations.  But we all face problems since we have not
still relinquished the mind/body complex.  Bhagavan Ramana is sitting on the summit
of Arunachala.  We are all going round and round the Hill, without even keeping the
summit as the goal. It takes a long, long time of practice (Sraddha) to reach the summit.
But we should make efforts.

There were two frogs which fell by accident into a huge tall curd pot.  One frog thought,
It is Sunday, no one will come to this curd selling shop.  No one would find me out.
There is no escape or chance to jump out.  Soon it melted in misery and fell deep into
the curd.  The other frog thought.  "Anyway I shall try.  I will keep on batting my legs
and swim on the surface.  Let me see.  It tried, put in a lot of efforts with its weak legs.
Soon, by the constant beating of the curd with the legs, the butter got churned and it
remained as a big ball on the surface.  The frog sat on the butter ball which was stable
and was on the top of the curd and it could jump out to safety.  Efforts, sraddha alone
is necessary.

Arunachala Siva.