Author Topic: Anyone have info about Michael Langford?  (Read 45262 times)

caat

• View Profile
Anyone have info about Michael Langford?
« on: February 08, 2007, 02:39:28 AM »
Recently I came across a book called "The Most Rapid and Direct Method To Eternal Bliss" by Michael Langford:
According to the author, the author is a follower of Sri Ramana Maharshi and became enlightened in early 2004. The methods described in his book are indeed very attractive. But I feel he is trying hard to promote his book: creating a bunch of not-quite-useful Amazon.com Listmania! Lists and putting his book as the first one in the lists, "boasting" his methods being superior than other sages' including Maharshi and so on. I don't mean to offend or attack someone who really is a realized person or a real sage. But I just don't feel quite comfortable to see such commercial-like acts happening. At least, I believe Sri Ramana Maharshi would not do someting like these. Any information about this author are welcome!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:02:24 AM by Graham »

captmj

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have info about Michael Langford?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 02:10:58 AM »
Hello Michael...

Just one question...does a enlightened person say that he/ she is enlightened...shud a enlightened person say I am enlightened..
are we so gullible...

Mohan

dedhed

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:53:08 AM »
Is this the same Micheal Langford who wrote the photography books?
I checked out the link, and there seems to be nothing new in anything he is saying, but not having read more than the excerpt, I would not try to pass any sort of judgment on it.  Still, when people talk of experiencing complete enlightenment, one should take it with a grain of salt.
Also, a thing to consider: Anyone with even a very partial awakening, one of the most noticeable things about them will be the warmth and intimacy they convey in everything they say and do. 

steveharnish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:48:44 PM »
Michael Langford is the real thing but I invite you to verify this for yourself. Over the past decade he has devoted thousands of hours to helping people in online discussion groups focused on Ramana Maharshi, which is how I found out about him. He is not commercializing his material, as everything he has written is available freely on the web. He regards Ramana Maharshi as his guru and has done a tremendous service by pointing out a way to practice that is abundantly documented in the works of Ramana, illustrated further by Muruganar, Sadhu Om and Annamalami Swami, but which is missed by many commentators. An index to Michael Langford's writings can be found on a page titled Awareness Watching Awareness at this address: http://www.albigen.com/uarelove/

Best wishes to all.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:54:13 PM by steveharnish »

mhansen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 07:11:40 AM »
Recently I came across a book called "The Most Rapid and Direct Method To Eternal Bliss" by Michael Langford:
According to the author, the author is a follower of Sri Ramana Maharshi and became enlightened in early 2004. The methods described in his book are indeed very attractive. But I feel he is trying hard to promote his book: creating a bunch of not-quite-useful Amazon.com Listmania! Lists and putting his book as the first one in the lists, "boasting" his methods being superior than other sages' including Maharshi and so on. I don't mean to offend or attack someone who really is a realized person or a real sage. But I just don't feel quite comfortable to see such commercial-like acts happening. At least, I believe Sri Ramana Maharshi would not do someting like these. Any information about this author are welcome!

Have you even read the book?  He never says "his methods" are anything other than what Maharshi and others have taught.  I never saw a hint of him claiming any method to be his own.

Regards,
Mike
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:02:48 AM by Graham »

Hameed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 12:18:31 PM »

May be the instructions by the author are correct. However it is the vasanas who determine whether they work or not. If Michael really lost his body mind identification early 2004, awareness will not let him claim enlightenment.

So many times the deathexperience similar to Bhagavan's happened to me. I tried to respond like He did but fear always takes over and the whole thing ends up as a bad trip. This means vasanas are still active. It is all not in our hands

Greetings

Hameed
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:03:06 AM by Graham »

Hameed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:29:11 PM »
Michael Langford is the real thing but I invite you to verify this for yourself. Over the past decade he has devoted thousands of hours to helping people in online discussion groups focused on Ramana Maharshi, which is how I found out about him. He is not commercializing his material, as everything he has written is available freely on the web. He regards Ramana Maharshi as his guru and has done a tremendous service by pointing out a way to practice that is abundantly documented in the works of Ramana, illustrated further by Muruganar, Sadhu Om and Annamalami Swami, but which is missed by many commentators. An index to Michael Langford's writings can be found on a page titled Awareness Watching Awareness at this address: http://www.albigen.com/uarelove/

Best wishes to all.

Do not take these statement like "Ramana is my guru" for granted. Such statements have as much value as people to whom Jesus is the real thing or Muhammed is the real thing. Michael just made a projection of Ramana and is thus guided by his own creation. Probably this Ramana told him he is enlightened. ;D

Greetings

Hameed
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:56:26 AM by Hameed »

yamouna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:19:15 AM »
there is a saying in tamil which goes like this   VINDAR KANDATHILLAI,KANDAR VINDATHILLAI which means one WHO SAYS he got enlightenment  HAS NOT GOT IT,one who HAS GOT enlightenment  DOES NOT SAY IT.

captmj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 12:27:37 AM »
Bravo ...Yam

Somebody asked Swami Dayanand....how can you define truth... bcos if truth is going to defined then it will be thru words which are limited .....words are limited ..understanding is limited..
Any definition will have a negation , an opposite view point...
Dayanandaji said..."something which cannot be negated is truth"....

Mohan

blissboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »
I have recently found his book and love it!!!

I am honestly concerned about his ego, I mean he says stuff like

"That secret and how to break free of that ancient human trap
is taught in the book "The Most Rapid and Direct Means to Eternal Bliss"....

For human consciousness to be transformed
a new and effective solution must be introduced.
A new and effective solution has been introduced.
You can read about the new and effective solution
in the book
"The Most Rapid and Direct Means to Eternal Bliss"

Then his amazon section says "This is the book that started a spiritual revolution"

I wonder.... I mean his book touches me deeply.

Anyway I am wondering his "loving all" method is something he made up or got from Ramana.

peace,

BB

Hameed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:23:45 AM »
I have recently found his book and love it!!!

I am honestly concerned about his ego, I mean he says stuff like

"That secret and how to break free of that ancient human trap
is taught in the book "The Most Rapid and Direct Means to Eternal Bliss"....

For human consciousness to be transformed
a new and effective solution must be introduced.
A new and effective solution has been introduced.
You can read about the new and effective solution
in the book
"The Most Rapid and Direct Means to Eternal Bliss"

Then his amazon section says "This is the book that started a spiritual revolution"

I wonder.... I mean his book touches me deeply.

Anyway I am wondering his "loving all" method is something he made up or got from Ramana.

peace,

BB
I suggest you inquire, "Who is touched so deeply by this book?

Some 5-6 years ago, when I read books by Papaji, Balsekar and teachers like them, I was touched so deeply. Everything became clear. I felt free. I felt unburdened. Till I realized it was all Ego that was so touched. Ego had become the knower!
Ego told me, take a seat and rest! You are already what you looking for. In other words, "abide in Ego".

Have a good Day BB

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:35:30 AM by Hameed »

blissboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 11:31:16 PM »
"I suggest you inquire, "Who is touched so deeply by this book?"

Good question-

When I ask that question, there is just an experience of spaciousness.

That is so great that you found freedom from reading some books!

mick hutchinson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
Hiya blissboy
I think that experience of spaciousness might be a positive move upwards [metaphor].
If everything is the Self, the whole percieved world is a picture within us ,a picture made by the mind out of sense impressions, then this sense of spaciuosness could be an the begining of an awareness of the Self.
The Self is the Universe ,is All of everything.All that we ever experience is the Self. Vast ,eternal, all pervading. really all we experience is the Self.
 I went upstairs and got the book "Ramana mahrishi and the path of Self Knowledge" I opened it more or less randomly and here is where it opened!!! This is what it says!!!
Page 99 i
instructions to FH Humpries.
   H. Master can I help the world?
Bh.Help yourself and you will help the world.
H. I wish to help the world. Shall I not be helpful?
Bh. Yes Helping yourself you  help the world.You are in the world ,you are the world.You are not different from the world,nor is the world different from you.
H. [aftre a pause] Master can I perform miiracals as Sri Krisna and Jesus did before ?
Bh .Did any of them, when he performed them,feel it was he who was performing them?
H. No Master.
  Ramana says YOU ARE THE WORLD!
Elsewhere he says the Self is the screen upon which the picture of the world is projected!
He says that the seer of the world ,the Aham Vritti [ego] is also on the screen.
So maybe your experience of spaciousness is the beginning of an expansiion of consciousness
Peace
Mick

Hameed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 04:42:33 PM »
Bravo ...Yam

Somebody asked Swami Dayanand....how can you define truth... bcos if truth is going to defined then it will be thru words which are limited .....words are limited ..understanding is limited..
Any definition will have a negation , an opposite view point...
Dayanandaji said..."something which cannot be negated is truth"....

Mohan

Captmj, ask Swami Dayanand whether he he thinks there exists a concept in this creation that cannot be negated.
As far as I know any concept can be broken by a person who act from awareness.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »
to the unenlightened there is a difference between enlightened and unenlightened , to the enlightened there is no difference .....
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it