Author Topic: How does information transform into real knowledge?  (Read 14703 times)

gangajal

• View Profile
Re: How does information transform into real knowledge?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 12:03:51 AM »
Dear Gangajal,
            :) Very interesting idea. A few questions on the practise:
a) so we sit before god and ask him to remove lust, desire, greed etc. every day for, let us say an hours time.
    that is like repeating it ?
b) how long have you been doing this ? Have the lust etc left you ?

Love!
Silence

Dear Silence,

a)  Yes, I repeat again and again. Like I will keep repeating, "please destroy lust...", for some time. Then I will do the same
for any other problem that I have. One of the tings you have to do is to keep close watch over your conduct. For example,
do you get angry if someone criticizes you? Then you need to get control over anger. So ask God to destroy your anger.

b) I have been doing this practice for about 9 years now. I will not say that lust etc has left me. I will say that my situation
has improved. I started to do this because I found that just doing japa is not enough. If you want to do only japa then you have
to do a minimum of 6-7 hours every day to get any effect. I found that praying to God to destroy the bad tendencies is far more
efficient and practical. After that you can do japa for half an hour.

Gangajal

David

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »
Dear David,

Pure Mind or Siddha Manas, is like a burnt rope.  It does not harm
any one, it does not suffer from thoughts.  This pure mind helps
the Jnanis, to help others in their path.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Subramanian,
Thank you. Sometimes at the end of a period of mantra meditation there is something of a feeling of what might be called 'present emptiness'. When reading your description of a burnt rope that same present emptiness returned in memory. The emptiness is not a void; it is rather like there is nothing else present except presence itself. My only doubt about this experience is that there is awareness of this. I have sometimes taken this sense of present emptiness to be the Self, but your answer seems to indicate that it is Siddha Manas. Am I right?
David

David

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 08:08:55 PM »
Dear David,
               Suddha manas is uncontaminated "I-am-the-body-idea" in which one is conscious that he is living in a particular body but there is no
identity with the body.When there is identity with the body "I-am-the-body-idea"is contaminated and when he says "I"he means that he is a
body only.When "I-am-the-body-idea" is uncontaminated it functions from the self and when it says "I" it means self.Uncontaminated
"I-am-the-the-body-idea"functions with awareness of the self whereas contaminated "I-am-the-body-idea"functions from the ego centre.
So Suddha Manas means a mind which is free of all tendencies,so posited in the self and acts with the awareness of self.There is no relic
of personality in such a mind in contrast to egoistic mind which functions from the personality born out of his innate tendencies.

Dear Raju,

Thank you too for this answer. The condition of  "I" undentified with the body and mind, which is nonetheless aware of the workings of body and mind, is a beautiful description and one which also seems so practical. In this way the nama and rupa of being can play its part but the Self can remain as pure Witness. Every effort will be made to practice like this and then a report back shall be given.
Unfortunately, the report will have to wait. The identified "I" should not be here doing this at the moment!! In an hour there is a need to go to the airport to journey to a far off land for a week's holiday where there will be no internet access. So "I" ( the identified one) will have to wait with patience till it return to read your responses. Until then, may Suddha Manas be the experience, and may your discourses continue to bring light to all.
Best wishes,
David

David

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »
:) That is the word "I" in the mind is wrongly associated with the body.
When this word is rightly associated with "Awareness" ... all panic and problems are gone.

That mind in which the word "I" is identified correctly is Pure mind.That is all there is to it.

Dear Srkudai,

Thank you. Every effort will be made to practice, as outlined above.
David

David

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »
Dear Gangajal,
            :) Very interesting idea. A few questions on the practise:
a) so we sit before god and ask him to remove lust, desire, greed etc. every day for, let us say an hours time.
    that is like repeating it ?
b) how long have you been doing this ? Have the lust etc left you ?

Love!
Silence

Dear Silence,

a)  Yes, I repeat again and again. Like I will keep repeating, "please destroy lust...", for some time. Then I will do the same
for any other problem that I have. One of the tings you have to do is to keep close watch over your conduct. For example,
do you get angry if someone criticizes you? Then you need to get control over anger. So ask God to destroy your anger.

b) I have been doing this practice for about 9 years now. I will not say that lust etc has left me. I will say that my situation
has improved. I started to do this because I found that just doing japa is not enough. If you want to do only japa then you have
to do a minimum of 6-7 hours every day to get any effect. I found that praying to God to destroy the bad tendencies is far more
efficient and practical. After that you can do japa for half an hour.

Gangajal

Dear Gangajal,

Sorry not to respond directly to you yesterday; great busy-ness overtook me! This is an interesting practice. The idea of finding an hour a day is something of a challenge. There is already mantra meditation and study, plus physical exercise ( a little) and stacks of work. ( Or is this an idea too??) However, I will try it. Thank you for the suggestions. Now, really must go!
David

ushanpri

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 08:44:30 PM »
Lot of good posts are there about mind and its purity. Still I would like to share my thoughts in this area. Mind is an object which is of an oscilating nature. That is why we call it chanchala in sanskrit. It is a group of thoughts. These thoughts are not one ant all times thery keep changing every second (even less than that). But imagine this mind as a canal which has a continuous water flow towards some destination. Now the can's depts is first carved out by the first pour of water and its speed, purity etc. Later on as time evades the can becomes deeper, sharper, purer as the water flow goes on and on. Now apply this to good thought is the mind. As we tend to think only about godly thoughts we train our mind to stay away from bad or worldly thoughts and the canal gets filled with only out trained thoughts. This should be done by continuous thinking about God.

In our sublime conciousness all our deeds should be offered only to God and nothing else should be our prime objective other than visualising God in every thing we see. Later all our deeds will be attributed to God himself and we cannot go towards worldly desires. Basically our vasanas will lead us towards other thoughts and to divert that we must follow some chanting for a specific time every day. This is japa. These are put together as spiritual sadhanas. Doon we will loose our mind. This is not a stage of mad, it actually means we loose the likes and dislikes in our mind. Raga and dwesha will vanish. Now we become a pure being and this is the state where all our information has transformend and we only exist.

Sivoham

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
Dear David,  Kindly do no say that you do not find "one hour."
You can reduce your sleep by one hour.  For sometime, the
mind-body may not cooperate.  But constant practice will help,
to reduce the sleep by one hour and spend that one hour for
meditation.

Dear ..pri, the Japa, as you have correctly said, is only to keep
the other thoughts at bay.  This could mean setting right the canal
of thoughts, deepening or broadening for flow of water. 

Arunachala Siva.

S.Subramanian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
     Information is the first step.  The mind receives input from various sources.  'Sravana' is hearing the facts about Truth.  There were no books in the Vedic period.  The information regarding Truth had to be heard from the Rishis and persons associated with them.  Today we receive information mostly from books.

The second step is reflection.  The information received is contemplated.  The mind goes on asking questions and arguing.  More information is sought for clarification.  The process is repeated again and again.

The final step is meditation.  The mind is now sure about the course of action.  It is free from all arguments.  Meditation alone can lead us to True Knowledge.