Author Topic: Jnanam Vs Practial Living  (Read 7672 times)

srkudai

Jnanam Vs Practial Living
« on: October 01, 2008, 06:34:30 PM »
Hi Friends,
          :) This is, what i consider, one of the most important aspect to be understood. If we set "unreachable targets" via exotic ideas of a realized person --- that would definitely be blocking our own way for eternity.
for convenience i shall number them...

1) A Jnani need not kill himself : When ill, he will go to a doctor, when sick he takes tablets, when some elephant charges towards him, he moves aside ... and if thrown into waters and does not know how to swim, will pant for breath.

2) A jnani need not torture himself. he can wear dress [any kind ] , he can live in a house, he can use a pillow, blanket as needed , he may eat good food.

3) A jnani can have money, he can talk with people, enjoy a movie ... as he choses.

4) A jnani can feel for his fellow humans, feel when his people are not well ...

But a Jnani knows that the feelings, the livings, everything are just a dream! If any of these are taken away, the dream body, the dream mind, have their reactions ... he every is SAT CHIT ANANDA.

A story :  There was a king who had two teachers. One taught Dvaita and the other taught Advaita. so both used to tell him their ideas. But king liked the Advaita guru more, not coz he understood ... but coz he told him he was wonderful. So one fine day as they were walking, an elephant charged towards them... the Advaita jnani immediately cautioned the king and the other person and himself ran away from the elephant. After that, the Dvaita teacher went to the king and said: "Sir, did you see how he ran from the elephant? If everything is unreal, why does he have to run away from the elephant ?"

The king too got into doubt and asked the Advaita teacher ... who replied: "Sir, the Elephant is unreal ... definitely ... but sir, who told u my running away is real? that too is unreal" . He further asked: "Did you see any fear, worry, anxiety in me ? "

So That is Advaita ... Do what is to be done. Things can be comfortable/ uncomfortable ... but whether comfortable or uncomfortable --- he is happy. so to get stamped by the Elephant is "uncomfortable" [definitely] ... but not unhappy, happiness is the nature itself ... cannot be eliminated.

being unhealthy is uncomfortable --- and if something can be done to remove it, its great! but discomfort is one thing and lack of acceptance of the discomfort is another --- Acceptance has to be complete. So for the jnani "sukam and Dukkam" are not both same ... but both sukam and dukham he handles with titiksha. that is jnana.

Love!
Slence

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: Jnanam Vs Practial Living
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 06:43:30 AM »
Dear sir,

This article gives very good practical Jnanam. By the way what is the meaning of titiksha. I hope you give the meaning.

Ramanaduli

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:43:47 AM »
Dear sir

Thanks for the reply. I am so happy to see reply  for my mail. because I used to get lots of doubts when I read
such vedanta books. From my early stage i have been reading lots of books. But as there is nobody to explain to me
I just keep on searching like the necklace which is lying in the neck. When i read i feel everything is clear but when I come to the practical world  ... day to day life I am totally confused. Past 28 years I have been reading Bhagavan's books.
But I am in the same situation. Luckily I found this site and started reading. Mainly in my family no body is interested in
atma vicharam except anna vicharam. But I got few friends who are interested in rituals like pujas going to temple and listensing Kathas. I feel always why I have not taken birth during Bhagavan's period. I know He has not gone anywhere but He pervades in everywhere. still i feel His obsence. Many people who never known what is meditation those all dived into without knowing themselves ...had a great shift. It is my prarabta I was not there. I been to ashram when i went for girivalam. Recently after going through the websites I came to read the valam which Bhagavan took is otherway not the present one. Now I want to go once at least He should bless for that also. In tamil there is saying Avan arulale avan thal vanagi. Frankly speaking this discussion gives more light. For instance the Jnanam Vs practical living is suberb one.
I learnt so many points in this particular article. For instance, I used to think everyone is Brahmaswarupam. and i used to believe and had suffered particularly with relatives. Now I realised how it is a mistake. For happy worldly life also we need advaita jnanam not only for paramarth life. 
Secondly I request you to clear this doubt.  Is consciousness, awarness and witness are same? And while working we have to plan that time we need our thinking process which becomes thought.Now how do the work without thought for a housewife. And last question the people who are in coma or mental disorder they do not have thoughts. But self is there  undoubtly. For enlightened people aslo they say they never have thought but when they converse some saits say instead I know they say this did.... means they identify not with the body.So what is the difference in between of coma and enlighted soul.  I really do not understand.  i put this question to my self also Like who is asking to whom. But I am in the same boat. i got only book knowledge because when i get tastless food even I recollect Bhagavan's words, the food does not go under my throat. that must body sense I got. So how to progress further forgeting everything. Knowing everything is unreal and living in the same stage. Then there is no difference with others who does not know about the real and unreal. I hope you do not mind and show the way

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »
Dear Ramanaduli,

Welcome to the Forum. 

1. Titiksha, persevrence or endurance is necessary not only for
Self knowledge but also for everyday life.  It is like digging a
pit in the same place, deeper and deeper, without boredom,
to get water.

2. Consciousness, Awareness and Witness also mean the Self.

3. Do not feel sad that you were not born during Bhagavan's
time.  He is timeless.  I was also thinking often why I was not
born during Bhagavan's period and was like another Ramanatha
Brahmachari, aboslutely innocent and guileless to merge with Him.
But, perhaps, we were all there in and around the Hills seeing
Ramana.  But our tapas might  not have been adequate and that
is why, we are born now.  Your 28 years of study of Ramana is
not easy joke.  You are continuing your tapas.

4. Bhagavan says that work is not a hindrance to atma vichara.
You can work with keeping Bhagavan in your mind, and the
thoughts that occur to do you work excellently, will be guided
by him.  These thoughts are not bad because they are pure thoughts
like burnt ropes.  They do not harm anyone.

5.  You continue to see everyone as Brahma Swarupam.  There is
nothing wrong.  They will appear to you as Brahma Swarupam,
because they are not other than the Self..  Their trivialities will
not be noticed by you, and these  will disappear, once you continue
this bhavana.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »
Dear Subramaniyan ji

Thanks for your kind clarification. When Bhagavan was in physical body he gave darshan to many people like papaji and many westeners also felt. Recently I read one web site  The last american darshan   I think the american boy who was taken by some one to ashram and he wanted to stay there ... The same boy saw bhagavan once again.  I think he is Wanderling.   These souls are so fortunate. Is it only possible when bhagavan had his physical body to give darshan but not possible after he discard his physical body to give darshan....   please comment

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »
Dear Ramanaduli,  Your post.  Not only you, but many others
e.g. nonduel, have been raising the point, whether one's Guru
should be in physical frame, whether one can pray to a Guru,
who has already shed his body etc.,  You are putting it in a different
way, saying that a Guru should give you 'darshan' and that is
possible only when he has got a physical body.  I am the one,
who believes, that a Guru need not be in a physical frame, to
guide you to the path of self enquiry.  Take David Godman, for
example.  He came to Tiruvannamalai, in 1970s and he is still
living there. He attained self realization, in about 3 years after
he came to Tiruvannamalai.  There could be several examples.

Again, why do you need a guru to give you darshan, to be in
a physical body.  What is 'darshan'.  It is not 'seeing'.  It is
guru's grace for you.  Arunachala Purana says that even one
who contemplates Arunachala will be conferred with self-
realization, without being phyiscally there in Tiruvannamalai
and 'seeing the Hills every day.  If it is for Lord Annamalai,
why not for Bhagavan Ramana, who is none other than Arunachala?

Plese contemplate on these lines.

Arunachala Siva.   

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 05:07:47 AM »
dear srkudhaiji

Thank you so much. What you have said it is true. After reading your mail if I say to myself that I am a King my mind does not ready to accept. It is so funny. Here after I remember your comments. Forgeting our true nature we are going merry go around and suffers.
Each second I have a push from outside. Even my children are laughing at me.They say" Even though you are studying Ramana for many years but there is no change in you.   I am telling them He knows what changes has taken place. within me. It is invisible.I feel it is his Grace which showed my mistakes. All my actions knowledge, everything is done on the basis of my Ego.I can say To discard the false "I" is not a easy thing.
(TADUTHTHU AATKONDAR) means He saved me.  I should not forget Him even in my last breath

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
Dear Ramanaduli,  Please try the steps suggested by srkudai.
If you go one step nearer to Guru, He will come ten steps
towards to you, because, as you said, He is 'thaduth atkondar',
the one who stops you and takes care of you, rule over you.

I tried srkudai's steps of taking the curry that you do not like,
continue reading Ramana's books or slokas, when the TV is blazing
and blaring at you, which you cannot put off because others are
watching.  It worked!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 02:40:52 PM »
Dear srkudai,  The Tiruvannamalai heat is world-famous.  When
I went there recently, and was staying in Morvi Guest House of the
Asram, there was a powercut around 12 noon and it lasted for 3
hours.  Even though I was fretting initially, I thought this is the
time, to feel that I am not having body consciousness!  Bhagavan
had walked on the Hills, without footwear in that hot sun.  Those
days even an electric fan was not there in the Old Hall.  I thought
should I not practice, even 1/1 billion of the times of what
Bhagvan had experienced?  The Ramana Ashottaram has the
last name as:  Om Purushottamaya Namah.  He is the Purusha,
the Only and the Highest Male Princilple in the universe.  We
are all jivas, the little female principles.  We are going round and round 
of Him, like gopikas had gone around Krishna in Kokulam.  One
day we shall merge in Him, our prarabdha permitting.  His Grace
will do the needful.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »
Dear srk udhaiji

From your mail which gives lots of soothing clarification I understand really you already attained that stage. Anyway first without knowing Self, mind etc. etc. I was in my elders shoe. Then I found I was not satisfied and started hunting. In my family all elders so ritual and they are satisfied with their jobs. I had a chance of lisening Chinmaya lectures. The first time heard about the "Mind" Those days it was very difficult to go to any guru people like me. His lectures put my mind to further search. From 1963 to 1980 I followed all the teacher's all he books how to find out the mind, its, funny play.
Atlast I found the solution from Bhagavan's book. As already my mind is confused  (like Madras KOOVAM) it is difficult to remove the impurities. You said keeping the awarness I have to watch the mind in likes and dislikes. With out condomning the mind I have to act. Is not it? I am afraid to follow my mind now. It is so cunning, It is like keeping cobra in my house and giving milk. I should know the trick like a snake charmer. Because I am telling the truth. Otherwise after so many years. I am in the same position. Observing the events, asking  who is suffering and to whom it happened. One improvement is there i.e I stoped blaming others for my failures and understand something is lacking within me.I am like a bull which is tied in the oil motor  ( in tamil we call it CHEKKU MADU). I hope you could ananlysis my case history.

Ramanaduli

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 07:12:45 PM »
Dear srkudhaiji

Thanks. I follow as you said. If someone abuses me it is ok. I can hug my anger. When I have to take the decision in that situation and the other person does not listen what should I do. In our life every time we have to take  desicion whether in office or in family. I clearly know if that particular step is not taken in that particular time there would be loss of money and time. Now a days I remember those Bhagavan words whatever would happen it will happen..... At the sametime
questioning within myself in Ramana's method I will come out from the situation fastely. But the impact will be lingering for long time. All my mind's play. As you say reading His books, is  only a medicine. I have to dive completely.within myself.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »
Dear Ramanaduli,  As srkudai, said if someone does not listen to
you, do not get upset.  Dwell in the satisfaction that you have told
them what they or you should do.  Non listening to our words is
the way for them.  Your way is to tell them at the proper time and
leave it at that.  You can say your son or grandson to study well
because exams are nearing.  If he does not listen and keep watching
TV, it is his prarabdha.  You have given the cautiion and that is all.
So in the office and other places.  You have to derive the satisfaction
that you have told them what should be done at the appropriate time.
Things will take place according to individual's prarabdha.  Like
the apple falling from tree, at the appropriate time, regardless
of your wish.

Arunachala Siva.   

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »
Doership is a thought,dedicating the fruit of work is another thought.We as a personality is a concept and a concept has no power
to dictate the result of the work,it has no ownership of the fruit of the work to dedicate to God.Doership and offering the fruit of work
to God are antinomies born out of nonexistential concept called the personality.
pvssnraju

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
Dear Raju ji srkji, Surbrahmaniyanji

I do not know how to express my gratitute to you all. The replies of yours are throwing a new light to me. To day is vijayadasami ) At 6 a.m. here. at first I read these. Really Bhagavan killed (all my impurities) demon  which was unknowingly  were hiding with in me in shape of doership and expecting the result.  I understood just reading the books do not help. The ego has to be removed layer by layer. The word witness gives new meaning to me now. We have to see the result as a witness not only seeing ourselves. I am very happy to get VIJAY on this subject. On this day I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a happy  Vijay dasami. In north they celebrate killing the Ravana. So I also found my ravana who was bothering for long time. With your help I could find him and killed. It is a true vijayadasami for me.
It is all Bagavan's grace.
Thanking you all
ramanaduli

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »
Dear srkudai ji

Thanks for the information of swami Suddananda. I went to that site and saw the video. Mind and confidence. First I could not remember but when I went to the site I remembered Swamiji. I attended one of is lecture in Chennai. And his ashram in Udhandi is very close to my house. One of our friends is follower of him. Anyway thanks a lot for giving the information.
You have understood the essence of vedanta  from Suddananda that is why you could give very good comprehension.

Ramanaduli