Author Topic: Ramana Ashram  (Read 38776 times)

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Ashram
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »

Ramana Yoga Sutra VII.

Sakshat bhati' Directly experienced.

Notes : 1. In aphorism five, nirgunopasana, or the formless worship of the Brahman is advocated. In aphorism six the way of saguna upasana or worship of the Lord with form is explained. In this aphorism, Bhagavan explains that the result of successful conclusion of spiritual efforts lies in the Atman flashing directly in our experience.

2. Experiences are of two kinds; one is mediate that is through a medium and the other is immediate that is direct without a medium. We see through the eye and know a thing, therefore it is mediate experience. Suddenly a thought flashes intuitively in the mind. That is immediate experience. The experience of the Brahman is always immediate, and unlike the usual experiences does not involve the triad of experiencer, experienced and experience. The experience of the Atman is direct without a medium. Bhagavan has explained it with the analogy of an object fallen in a well; "Think of a person going down a well in search of some lost article. He sees it and takes it, but is unable to talk about it to the people outside the well; similarly, a man having the experience of the Atman (in Samadhi) is unable to speak about it when he is in Samadhi. Unlike dipping in water, even after he returns to the normal consciousness from the state of Samadhi he cannot express it in words. For, words come after the emergence of the world. And in the experience of Brahman there is no objective phenomenon.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »
Ramana Yoga Sutra VIII.

VIII. ' Aham Aham Iti.' .As I  I.

Notes: 1.The direct experience that comes to a seeker as a fruition of his endeavours is the experience of the Ultimate as 'I I'. Various descriptions have been given of this experience, in the negative way, e. g. It is neither light nor darkness; It gives light so It is called The Light. It is neither knowledge nor ignorance; It gives knowledge, so it is Knowledge (chit). In modern language too, It is not a being nor a becoming, but It exists; therefore It is called Sat, In contrast to all other things that disappear. Bhagavan calls this experience the ' I' - experience, In that state one must have been there to experience It; It must be devoid of any other experience; then only can It be said to be the Self and nothing else.

2. Some have asked. "There being only one experience, why should Bhagavan have used two I's 'I-I' One explanation is that the second 'I' does not indicate a subsequent experience; the second 'I' is used to confirm the experience. Others say, " In nirvikalpa Samadhi, you get a similar experience, but it is not a constant thing; like the flash of lightning, it appears and disappears; so, two ' I' s' are used. Finally, the experience becomes a constant one."

3. We may add that in yoga, in the experience there is a slight tinge of the individuality, and the mind can be said to have existed in a very, very subtle state, called 'visuddha sattva'. But in actual experience it makes no difference. The experience is something like a throb; that is why it may be called 'jnana spanda', 'a throb of knowledge'.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:55:57 PM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2015, 12:13:36 AM »
How Sri Chakra Puja began

Sri Vidya Havan will be performed on Friday March 20, 2015 as per the notice attached. The program will be webcast live starting around 11:15 AM or so. Please check Facebook for live posting.

Considering that neither Bhagavan nor Niranjananda Swamigal was a Devi Upasaka the question arises how did such an advanced worship of the Divine Mother start in Sri Ramana ashram. Best answer is that only Bhagavan or Niranjanada Swamigal know. However some facts have emerged by talking to senior devotees. Niranjananda Swamigal kept a Sri Chakra made of gold about 4 inches by inches in an iron safe in the ashram. Raju Sastrigal used to offer worship to the Sri Chakra in the evening after Veda Parayana. In his absence another priest or a student from the Veda Patasala used to conduct the worship. When Mother's temple was built a place was specifically kept for the installation of the Meru Prasthara Chakra. The Sri Chakra was installed with the Meru.

Since the opening of the temple in March 1949, regular elaborate worship of Sri Chakra was done by the priests which went up to 9:30 PM in the night. There were no visitors to the Puja. Later the worship was simplified to the present form. We may add here that Sri Chakra Puja was re-started by Major Chadwick after the lapse of many years in 1960s or so.

During Bhagavan's days on the Hill, Spiritual Grace was in abundance but material comforts were minimal or non-existent. It is possible that some great devotee may have advised Niranjananda Swamigal that worship of the Sri Chakra will lead to prosperity and he started the worship. But this is at best a surmise.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:15:19 AM by Balaji »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2015, 06:52:22 AM »
Balaji,
Here is an excerpt from 'A Sadhu's Reminiscences of Ramana maharshi' by Sadhu Arunachala who personally witnessed the consecration of Meru Chakra by Sri Bhagavan:

Bhagavan was deeply interested in the construction of the Shrine built over his Mother?s tomb. He attended every function in connection with it, placing his hands in blessing on the various objects that were to be enclosed in the walls. At night, when no one was about he would walk round and round the construction consecrating it. That he should take such a demonstrative part in anything has a very deep significance. It was extremely rare and has been doubted by many, but I myself was an eye-witness to these things and can vouch for their truth.
He took a personal interest in the cutting of the Sri Chakra Meru in granite which was installed in the completed temple and is regularly worshipped. This is about one and a half feet square and proportionately high.
At the time of the Kumbhabhishekam, on the penultimate night before the sacred water was poured over the images, he personally superintended the installation in the inner shrine. It was an extremely hot night and with three charcoal retorts for melting the cement adding to the heat, it must have been intolerable inside the airless cave of the inner shrine, but for about an hour and a half Bhagavan sat there telling the workmen what to do.
On the last night of the function he went in procession, opening the doors of the new Hall and temple and passing straight up into the Inner Shrine, where he stood for some five minutes with both hands laid on the Sri Chakra in blessing. I happened that night to be at his side the whole time; this was unusual as I deliberately avoided taking prominent part in such things, preferring to watch from the back. Strangely, something made me keep by him on this occasion and on account of this I was able to understand his deep interest in the Temple and
especially in the Sri Chakra. It was because of this knowledge that I was instrumental after Bhagavan?s passing, in persuading the Ashram authorities to institute the Sri Chakra Poojas six times a month. The explanation for this unusual action on Bhagavan?s part may be found in the necessity that Siva must be always accompanied by Shakti. The world would stop otherwise. On the only occasion when such a Pooja was performed shortly after the dedication of the Temple during the life of Bhagavan, he refused to go for his evening meal but insisted on remaining a witness of it until the end. When someone remarked how magnificent it had been and it would be a good thing if such Poojas could be performed regularly, ?Yes,? replied Bhagavan, ?but who will take the trouble??
The trouble is being taken now and it undoubtedly has the blessings of Bhagavan.

Here is another excerpt from 'Talks with Sri Ramana maharshi' :
19th April, 1937 Talk 405.
A respectable and orthodox gentleman asked about Sri Chakra.
M.: It has a deep significance. There are 43 corners with sacred syllables in them. Its worship is a method for concentration of mind. The mind is wont to move externally. It must be checked and turned within. Its habit is to dwell on names and forms, for all external objects possess names and forms. Such names and forms are made symbolic mental conceptions in order to divert the mind from external objects and make it dwell within itself. The idols, mantras, yantras, are all meant to give food to the mind in its introvert state, so that It may later become capable of being concentrated, after which the superb state is reached automatically.

It is said in the arunachala purana that the Holy arunachala hill is itself in the form of Sri Chakra and sri Bhagavan always advised pradakshina( circumambulation).

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
Dear Ravi Sir

Very nice, I noted the points for Sri Chakra puja  and Thank you very much for a detailed Sri Chakra Puja celebration  during Bhagavan days.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:11:41 PM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2015, 05:46:25 PM »

Sri Vidya Havan.

Vishwanatha Swamigal has said that Niranjanananda Swamigal used to read Lalita Sahasranamam daily. Occasionally when he missed Parayana for any reason the reading was completed by Ramana Maharshi on his behalf.

Lalita Sahasranamam has the answer to the question raised in the previous Facebook post about the origin of Sri Chakra Puja in the ashram. One name of Divine Mother Lalita is Siva-shakti-iyka-rupini which means the Mother Lalita forms the unity of Siva with His Shakti. Thus Divine Mother's worship in the ashram is related to Sri Ramana Maharshi just as Sunlight is related to the Sun. We now quote from Kapali Sastriar's book the Maharshi:

After the Veda Parayana, both of us were taken by the Sarvadhikari to his office. From the cupboard Raju Sastri took out a plate and handed it to him and he in turn placed it in my hand. It was a few inches square, but its weight betrayed to me the metal immediately; indeed, it was solid gold. The diagram was Sri Chakram; I saw the whole thing, it was neatly done. Then there was another, a smaller plate; that too was taken out. The third one contained letters inscribed in the diagram; it was Subrahmanya Yantra. He spoke to me how he was able to get it all done, why so much care for safety had to be taken etc. We all came out and he took us to another hut where I was shown Meru in solid rock. The workmanship was indeed quite fine. I do not remember to have seen such a big sized Meru in rock though I have myself worshipped one made of gold (small size).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:35:04 PM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2015, 11:53:58 PM »
 Ramana Yoga Sutra Conclusion.

IX. 'Brahma matram'. Only Brahman

Notes: People dealing in scriptures will question whether, the universe being real, and this experience being of a short duration, the Atman experienced can be real. They also say that in the texts the Atman is said to be infinitesimally thin (thanvi). But Bhagavan says it is big, too. How to reconcile? The texts themselves give the answer; which Bnagavan has also repeated; "Smaller than the smallest, and bigger than the biggest", says the Upanishad.

The sruti says, "Verily, all this is Brahman". Then there can be no difference between the Atman and the Brahman. In the Atman there is a superimposition of the manifested cosmos, which alone is apparent to you, and which prevents you from seeing the Atman. In the state of knowledge, the superimposed mental knowledge disappears, and, call it whatever you will, Atman or Brahman, that alone remains, without a second. As the srutl says: ' Ekameva' (Only one); ' Adviteeyam' (no second).

X .'Kevalam', Only. Notes i

Philosophy expounds three types of difference? 'sajateeya' the difference between a horse and a horse. 'Vijateeya ' like the difference between a horse and a cow. 'Svagata' is the difference between the hand and the foot of one person. Bhagavan says that none of these types of difference exist in Brahman. It is like an ocean; all salt water. Not even like an ocean because, salt exists there in a state of dissolution. There is nothing dissolved in the Atman - It is pure.

This aphorism is necessary to controvert the position that the Brahman is saguna. Otherwise, how could a cosmos with various attributes come out of It? Bhagavan says, "No. It has no attributes; It is pure, undefiled by any admixture. "It is, in Sanskrit, 'ghana ' not giving scope to any other thing?. Now, the Ultimate is ananda-ghana not anandamaya.

EPILOGUE

These aphorisms are the very words of Sri Bhagavan. All but one of them have been taken from the first Sanskrit verse he ever wrote, in about 1913, the famous Hridaya Kuhara Sloka forming chapter II of Ramana Gita. Aphorism number four has been taken from Ramana Gita itself (canto VI, ver. 5), the explanations, several of them, were given by Bhagvaan himself. The rest has been culled out from other philosophical texts, so that the author of this brochure makes no claim for originality. Nor does he claim that Bhagavan's teaching, except in one point, is original. So far as he is aware, Bhagavan's teaching and explanations are in tune with the best traditional Advaitic thought and texts.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2015, 10:22:08 PM »
 Happy Ramanavami 2015.

Sri Ramanavami was celebrated at the ashram today. This is a good day to recall Sri B. V. Narasimha Swami's comparison of Ramana Maharshi with Lord Rama

Sri Rama is described in the first chapter of Ramayana by a set of phrases.Taking up those epithets one by one (except those confined to a Kshatriya king like Sri Rama) these are seen clearly applicable to Rama Maharshi (His name really is Venkata Rama). Absorbed contemplation of these is the form of meditation herein described.
Niyatatma means of fixed principles.Maharshi is a man of fixed principles. You know what to expect of him in given circumstances. His non-resistance of evil even when attacked by robbers, his prohibition of vengeance even when a disciple wanted to hurl it at the robbers, his endurance of pain, obloquy, humiliation at the hands of M.B and others create in one, an idea what firmness of principle denotes, how different it is from unctuous but lip-deep profession of virtue.

Dyutiman i.e., one full of bright ideas, illumination. If Maharshi applies his mind to anything, his freshness and resourcefulness are evidenced by his offering bright and useful suggestions. For instance in rendering religious works into English, his suggestions are often luminous and striking.

Dhritiman means courageous, ever happy. Both epithets apply to him equally well. Whether it is potsherds flung by mischievous boys at his refuge in Patala Lingam, or huge stones rolled down the hill towards his seat by M.J.P. or the threat of thieves to throw the milk of euphorbia tirucalli into his eyes or the robbers threat to beat him again unless he discloses where money is kept or the threat of M.B. that he must go down the hill as he is not a jnani to warrant his residence on the hill  whichever the shape in which fear approaches him, he is not frightened. Fear is only to him who loves the body and things attached thereto, and fears their loss.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:23:45 PM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2015, 02:10:39 AM »
Mahanirvana Day

Time: 8.00 PM (IST) to 9.15 PM (IST)

SRI RAMANASRAMAM

TIRUVANNAMALAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-YnAk13KaM

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »
65th Aradhana of Bhagavan Sri Ramanamaharshi ? Live Video Streaming ? 16.04.2015 ? 8.30 AM (IST) to 11.30 AM (IST)

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:58 PM »
Experiences of devotees III

According to Bhagavan one cannot become an ascetic simply by donning ochre robes, although he should not avoid it on that account. In 1967, under instructions from Swami Sacchidananda of Holenarasipur I took to asceticism by wearing the kashaya in the sacred place near Arunachaleswara in front of the Patala Linga, where Ramana Bhagavan was in deep meditation for a long time. Afterwards, I could have learnt the rules of asceticism from any other teacher. But having taken Ramana as my Guru, I did not want to learn them from anyone except Bhagavan. So, on 12-9-1967 at about three o clock in the morning while I was in meditation in the old hall next to Bhagavan's samadhi, I prayed to him to teach me the rules of asceticism, as I had taken refuge in him, leaving even the school and the hermitage as a bondage similar to the family. After about an hour, at 4 o clock, Bhagavan began manifesting ill my heart as a luminous figure much brighter than when he was alive. While I was wondering whether it was just a dream, he began to talk. My child, you say you have left the school and hermitage, as you felt them to be a bondage like the family. But what else have you got still left with you he asked
Oh Lord! what more have I got Only this body. I replied.

Leave that also and come he bade me.

I became confused and agitated. According to Ramana, liberation means complete obliteration of body and mind. How can the mind be annihilated With trepidation, I said Lord! I have taken to sanyasa which means that I am reborn. After death, the body is consigned to flames, as a token of my body's death, I have donned the ochre robes having the red hue of fire. Does it not mean that I have given up the body.
Ramana asked Yes, what else is left over I began to think. After taking to sanyas the only real change that has taken place is that instead of white clothes, I now wear orange or red clothes. The body is the same as before. Only in sleep does this body vanish, as consciousness leaves it. I, therefore, told Bhagavan, The I thought is left.

Give up that also. When you cast off that ego, the Supreme Self alone will shine. You catch hold of that Self and be steady. That alone is asceticism. Renunciation is not mere wearing of orange clothes. It is not an article for display. So saying Bhagavan disappeared, blessing me that I would get realisation when the time was ripe.

At 6 o clock in the same evening (12-6-1967), Bhagavan's words came to be fulfilled. Getting detached from the attributes of name, body and senses, filling everything and everywhere man, beast and bird, inside and outside all, without any duality whatsoever-the Self alone shone as pure Existence-Knowledge-Bliss The intellect, mind and ego constituting the little self had vanished into the Real Self, which stood alone as the only ultimate Truth. It is not possible to describe that state in words, for it is beyond words and beyond the mind. Coming from that state to the lower plane. I could only bow to my great Master in reverential gratitude.

One day, impelled by a strong desire, I gave to Bhagavan a small piece of paper with AUM printed on it. He received and handed it back to me immediately and I took it as his instruction. From that day I became Pranavananda. For this initiation, I offered my Master a few Senga nuts as guru dakshina. He accepted the same, ate one and gave the rest to a servant as feed for the peacock.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:51:37 PM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2015, 01:43:33 AM »

Replica of Old Hall in Tampa, Florida.

The Old Hall in Sri Ramanasramam , Tiruvannamalai is sanctified by Ramana Maharshi?s presence during the last 22 years of His life. Redolent with the aroma of peace and profound spiritual energy, many devotees will bear witness to His very special and unique Presence there. A blessed devotee couple in the US conceived the idea of creating an exact replica of Old Hall in Tampa Florida as a Meditation Hall to serve followers of Ramana Maharshi.

On April 15, 2015 devotees of Ramana Maharshi gathered in Tampa, Florida for a Bhoomi Puja(cornerstone laying ceremony). Bhoomi Puja is a Hindu worship based on scriptures to invoke the Lord?s blessing prior to commencing a building construction. The worship includes seeking forgiveness from the Mother Earth for disturbing the eco-system and includes placing various sacred objects to attract and preserve the auspicious and harmonious vibrations. These include specially consecrated bricks, multi-colored sands from Kanyakumari, Gems (Navaratnam), sacred magnetic stones from Arunachala and Ganges water. Ashram in Tiruvannamalai conducted a special Sri Chakra Puja to invoke the Divine Mother?s blessing for the success of the project.

The Bhoomi Puja started at 10:30 am on Wednesday, April 15. The ceremony also included the chanting of Aksharamanamalai. After the ceremony, all the devotees were served lunch Prasadam at the nearby Hindu Temple.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »
On Friday May 1, 2015 Mahakumbhabisekam of Lord Nataraja Temple in Chidambaram was performed in a grand scale. Hundreds of thousands of devotees experienced great Spiritual joy. Everyone had an inspirational story to tell. Many devotees from our ashram and Tiruvannamalai went to attend the ceremony. One fellow devotee was separated from us and was stopped by a huge police force at the entrance to Sannadi street for want of a pass. As he waited in disappointment a Dikshitar totally unknown to him approached him and gave him a Pass!! Chitsabeshaya Mangalam(Auspicious Lord of our Heart) Kanaka Sabhapati ki jai(Victory to the Chairman of Golden Hall) Avyaja Karuna Murtye namaha (Prostration to the Lord of Causeless Compassion) Tiruchitrambalam(Sacred Lord of Heart Temple)
Ramana Maharshi gives Darshan as Lord Nataraja

On the night prior to Deepavali in 1929, the first year of my settling in the Ashram, Bhagavan suggested my going home for the ?Ganges? bath (Gangasnanam), To me (why, to all of us!) the very sight of Bhagavan is a bath in the Ganga, the sight of Bhagavan is the worship of Siva, the sight of Bhagavan is the fulfilment of every ritual and the practice of all austerities. Yet I did not want to go against the mandate of Bhagavan as I went home, late in the night. I was impatient to be back with Bhagavan, so I woke up my wife and children even at 2 am, finished the ceremonial Ganges bath, and hastened to His blessed Presence.

Bhagavan lay reclining on the sofa. It was about 3-30 am; I made the usual prostration and sat down by the sofa. All of a sudden an aura was visible around the head of Bhagavan. It was like the glory with clusters of evenly arranged flames, just as we see round the deities in our temple processions. Bhagavan?s face shone with beaming smiles. It appeared to me that on this occasion Bhagavan was giving darshan (gracious view) of Sri Nataraja, the Lord of the Cosmic Dance. In my ecstasy, I think I must have sung hymns from Thevaram, which I love as dearly as the Vedas. The vision lasted for half an hour, and then the glory vanished.1 At 4 a.m. Bhagavan sat up for His Pansupari.2 I related to Him what I had seen, and Bhagavan again gave a beaming smile.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:02:54 PM by Balaji »

drsundaram

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2015, 07:06:19 AM »
thanks for the wonderful posting
an innocent clarification on what  is posted  "At 4 a.m. Bhagavan sat up for His Pansupari"
is this correct? it is a 'news' to me that Bhagavan chewed suparis?
though this is petty & superfluous if some one confirms this....................thanks
om namo bhagavathe sri ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2015, 08:22:49 AM »
Dear dr sundaram,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan chewed pan suparis for some time; He was also using snuff for sometime.  He had ganja once in SKANDASRAMAM, when Mother was there.
All these were  only with some purpose.  He told Mother He had ganja because
someone had offered to Him with love.  Ganja had no untoward effect on Him.  He
used snuff to ward off the continuous cold and stuffy nose.  Similarly He had been
using supari-pan, for some time because He had problems of indigestion.  He
had left all these practices swiftly with His great dispassion.

Importantly, He was an ati varnasrami, beyond castes and stages of life.
So the rules of sannyasa did not apply to Him.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:58:00 AM by Subramanian.R »