Author Topic: Excerpts from Srimad Bhagavatam  (Read 87738 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Excerpts from Srimad Bhagavatam
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
Knowledge is True Perfection

The Supreme Lord said:
The learned seeker whose intuition has led him to the realisation of the Self, does not indulge in theoretical dialectics about this world of diversity, knowing it to be a mere appearance in Me, a knowledge which he has also eventually to renounce exclusively to Me, his highest bliss and redemption, his goal and the way to it. He whose mind has been thoroughly purified by knowledge and realisation alone can comprehend My Supreme State. Penance, pilgrimage, japa, charitable acts, are mere means of self-purification, and not of perfection, as knowledge is. Therefore work your self-knowledge up to the stage of realisation, O Uddhava, and reject everything else but your devotion to Me. The threefold manifestation of prakriti, namely, body, mind and senses in you, is an illusion, having neither beginning nor end, but appears in the middle (like the snake which appears in the dark, but which has at no time been, nor will at any time be, other than a rope).

Jnana consists in perceiving the nine principles, the eleven organs, the five elements, and the three gunas in all creatures, and the One Supreme Soul (Purusha or Paramatman) permeating them all. Vijnana (discursive knowledge) perceives neither plurality nor the pervading One, but investigates into the creation, preservation and dissolution of all things which are made of the gunas (to repudiate them all). That alone is real which abides in the beginning and end and which appears to evolve in the middle. Plurality has, therefore, no existence whatever (since the Reality alone exists but appears as the evolving diversity, having a beginning and an end): it is repudiated by the four principal pramanas (evidences or means of firm knowledge), namely, the authority of the Vedas, direct perception, the authority of the wise (tradition), and inference. Ritualistic acts, likewise, being transient, are unreal. The wise look upon the pleasures of the invisible world (which are the result of action) as misery-laden and as perishable as those of this visible world.

Formerly  I talked to you about bhakti-yoga oh sinless one. Let Me now also expound on the supreme method of this devotion unto Me. Faith in the nectar of the narrations about Me, always singing My glories, to relate to Me with hymns and prayers; to think of Me as being present in all living beings, to dedicate all one's activities to Me, to conteplate and talk about My qualities, to offer one's mind to Me,to be of sacrifice with charity and offerings, to do japa and to worship Me,to reject desires,and, finally, through total surrender of the whole being to Me.
Dharma is that which leads one to devotion unto Me and knowledge(jnana),which is awareness of  the presence of the Self. Detachment [vairagya] results in disinterestedness in the sense objects  and opulence [aisvarya] culminates in the mystical perfections of anima and so on.

'Nonviolence, truthfulness, not coveting or stealing the property of others, detachment, modesty, non-possessiveness, trustfulness, celibacy, silence, steadiness, forgiveness and fearlessness are the twelve types of restrictions [of yama]. Inner and outer cleanliness, doing japa, penance, sacrifice, faith, hospitality, worship of Me, visiting holy places, care for the welfare of others in this world, contentment and serving the spiritual master are the twelve regular duties [of niyama]. Mental equilibrium means the absorption of one's intelligence in Me and self-control entails the disciplining of the senses. The greatest charity is to give up all aggression toward others, and renunciation of lust is understood to be real austerity. Real heroism is to conquer one's natural tendency to enjoy material life, and reality is seeing the Supreme Self everywhere. Truthfulness means to speak the truth in a pleasing way, as declared by great sages. Cleanliness is detachment from the fruits of action, whereas renunciation is the purity,or sannyasa. The true desirable wealth for human beings is Dharma, and I, the Supreme, am sacrifice.Opulence is My divine nature, gain is My bhakti, education is the nullifying of the division of the self, and modesty [sense of shame] is the disgust against unjust action. Beauty means to be of good qualities.
The desire to get over happiness and misery is happiness; the desire to enjoy worldly happiness is misery. He is learned who knows the distinction between bondage and freedom, and ignorant who looks upon his body as himself. The means by which I am attained is known as the right path, and the wrong path is that by which mundane activity is undertaken. Activity of the Sattva guna is heaven, that of tamas is hell.

"I have thus answered all your questions, O Uddhava, but what avails you to go through all the characteristics of good and evil, which are always safe to avoid?"

Canto 11,Chapter 19

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2017, 05:25:45 PM »
Beyond Renunciation and Knowledge
The Power of Satsanga
The Supreme Lord said:
One does not win Me by mysticism or analysis, common piety or the study of the scriptures, by penances, renunciation, pious works or charity, by respecting vows, ceremonies, Vedic hymns, pilgrimage, by general discipline or the basic rules. One rather wins Me by the sat-sanga with the Saints and  My devotees. That association drives away all attachment to objects of the senses. By associating with the Wise many living beings in every age achieved Me like the sons of Diti, the malicious ones, the animals, the birds, the singers and dancers of heaven, the ones of excellence and of perfection, the venerable souls and the treasure keepers, the scientific ones among the humans and the merchants, laborers and women, the uncivilized ones and the ones of passion and slowness. So also did Vritrasura, the son of Kayadhu [Maharaja Prahlada] and others like them, Vrishaparva, Bali, Bana, Maya as also Vibhishana [brother of Ravana], Sugriva [leader of the Vanaras] and great Devotee Hanuman, Jambavan, Gajendra, Jathayu, Tuladhara, Dharma-vyadha, Kubja and the gopis in Vraja, the wives of the brahmins and others. Not having studied the sacred scriptures, without vows and not having undergone austerities, attained Me by association with My devotees. Only by unalloyed love indeed the gopis easily attained Me. In Vraja,even the cows, the immobile creatures, the snakes and trees in hundreds of thousands became accomplished and attained to Me, the Supreme Brahman. When Akrura took Me and Balarama to Mathura they, the inhabitants of Vrindavana, whose hearts were attached to Me with the deepest love, suffered greatly because of the separation as they did not saw happiness anywhere. All the nights they in Vrindavana spent with Me, their most dearly Beloved, oh Uddhava, seemed to take but a moment to them, but again bereft of Me they became as long as a kalpa. Just as sages fully absorbed lose the awareness of names and forms - like they are rivers entering the water of the ocean - also they whose consciousness was intimately bound to Me had no awareness anymore of their bodies, their present or their future . The hundreds and thousands of women who desired Me as their friend and lover, had no knowledge of My actual position and attained Me by associating with Me, the Absolute Supreme Truth.

Therefore, O Uddhava, turn your back on all actions, whether prescribed or not, as well as on all learning, past or future, and seek shelter with all your heart in Me,the Truth,and the Self of all, and you will be free from all fear. It is by this Self that the body is permeated, and in it that the universe is woven like the warp and woof of a cloth.

Book 11,Chapter 12/1:15

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
Liberation from Maya

The honorable king Nimi said:
 'My lords, please tell us about the illusory potency of Maya of the Supreme Lord Vishnu  We would like to understand  what bewilders even the great mystics. We enjoy the nectar of your talks about Lord Hari, but we are not yet satisfied by that antidote against the pain a mortal experiences being tormented by the misery of samsara.'

Antariksha answers:
?In order to enjoy the senses as well as the bliss of Liberation, the Prime Purusha created out of Himself the great elements from which He made all things, high and low. Then He became one mind and ten organs and entered the great elements as the many jivas with bodies, through which He enjoys the sense-objects and to which He grew attached by identifying Himself with them. This identification with the gross body rather than with His own eternal Self is Maya, which causes Him much suffering as jiva, and from which He, however, escapes by seeking the realisation of His true nature, and after many many births attains it. This realisation is very blissful and is called Liberation.

Nimi said: 'Oh great sage, please tell how materialistic people with ease may overcome this material energy of the Lord that is so unsurpassable for those lacking in self-control.'

The sage Prabuddha replies:
"It is common knowledge that human couples who expect to derive happiness from their union reap only misery. What happiness can be gained from wealth which is gathered with so much hardship, or from children and relatives, who are but temporary acquisitions, when even heavenly felicities do not last to eternity? Lasting happiness, O King, can be found nowhere but in the realisation of the absolute Truth through the guidance of a guru, who has mastered the meaning of the Vedas and has himself experienced it, and through the practice of the well-known virtues namely, friendship, humility, benevolence, purity, performance of duty, endurance, study of the Scriptures, sincerity, non-violence, evenness of mind, control of speech, etc. Hearing, chanting and meditating on the Avatars, pastimes and qualities of the Lord whose activities are all wonderful, one must do everything for His sake. Whatever worship, charity, penance, japa or piety one performs, everything held dear, one's wife, sons, home and very life air, one should dedicate to the Supreme. In rendering service to both [the moving and nonmoving living beings] one must be of friendship with the common man as also with the devotees, the great souls who accepted Krishna as the Lord of their heart. Company of the Saints,mutual discussions with fellow devotees, remembering Him and reminding one another. The bhakti unto the Lord puts an end to the chain of sins. Sometimes one cries by the thought of Acyuta, sometimes one laughs or takes great pleasure or speaks, acts wondrously, dances and sings and sometimes one, following the example of the Unborn One, is freed from distress and becomes silent while attaining the Supreme Self . All this eventually never fails to carry one safely across the bottomless ocean of Maya."

Book 11;Chapter 3/1-33

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2017, 02:03:24 AM »
The Goats of Lust

Suka said: 'Yayati who being moved by lust thus was ruled by women, and acted against his well-being. In resignation he narrated the following story to his wife Devayani.

'Oh daughter of S'ukra,in this world there was someone exactly like me. Please listen as I narrate the history of his life. By hearing about the life of such a householder, those who have retired from householder life always lament.
There was a goat in the forest searching for some food for his cherished self. He happened to meet a she-goat that as a consequence of her own actions had fallen into a well.Motivated by lust the he-goat thought of a way to free her. With the tip of his horns he then engaged in digging into the earth around the well ,and thus he freed her. The he-goat thought she is very pretty and looking very nice, and she from her side fancied him as a sexual partner too, just as all the other she-goats did that were looking on. Stout, with a nice beard being a first class seed donor and master lover, that he-goat, the number one goat of them all, forgot himself completely like someone haunted. As the only male enjoying the great number of them, he was always overwhelmed by his lusts.  When the she-goat he had freed from the well saw him, her beloved, engaged in delighting with another one, she could not tolerate that. She considered him a lusty, cruel-hearted pretender, a friend to the occasion who is only interested in sensual matters. Therefore, because her husband was lusty, she left him and returned to her former maintainer. Controlled by her the he-goat in pain followed her miserably and tried to pacify her on the road with utterances that goats are used to practice, but he could not satisfy her. The she-goat went to the residence of a brahmaṇa who was the maintainer of another she-goat, and that brahmaṇa angrily cut off the he-goat's testicles. But at the he-goat's pleading, the brahmaṇa later rejoined them by the power of mystic yoga.

Oh dearest wife, the he-goat with his health restored, for many, many years enjoyed the she-goat he had saved from the well, but up to the present day his lusty desires are not satisfied.
I am a poor miser just like that. In the company of you with your beautiful eyebrows I am tied in love and I could as yet, bewildered as I am by your outer appearance, not be of self-realization. The mind of someone who is a victim of lust cannot find satisfaction in all the food grains, barley, gold, animals and women of this world. The lust of the lusty will never ever be pacified by enjoyment, it will just like a fire that again and again is fed with butter only increase.  When someone is nonenvious and does not desire ill fortune for anyone, nor goes at the detriment of any living being, for such a person who is of an equal vision towards all, all directions will appear equally happy. The desire that is so difficult to forsake for ignorant people, that root cause of all tribulation that is not so quickly overcome, should be given up by the one who seeks happiness. The power of lust is so great ,that one should not [even] be seated indiscriminately with one's mother, with one's sister or one's daughter, because the senses in combination are so very strong that they even will agitate the most learned one. Even though I for a thousand years without interruption enjoyed the gratification of my senses, that desire still develops constantly.  I will therefore give up on these desires and fix my mind upon the Absolute Truth. Free from duality and without falsely identifying myself, I will wander free of this animal nature. One should not blindly follow one's lesser desires and listen to them,but should be made aware how they are of a temporary nature,and just seem to be irresistible. This is just an illusion. One should not give it any further thought or strive for it. He who is mindful of the fact that they lead to the prolongation of a worldly existence and to forgetfulness about the real self, is a self-realized soul.'

'After the son of Nahusha had said this to his wife, he being freed from desires accepted his old age and gave Puru his youth back(he took the youth of his son so he can enjoy lust even longer).  He made of his other, faithful sons Druhyu king over the southeastern direction, Yadu over the southern side, Turvasu over the western part and Anu over the north. The entire planet's riches and wealth he placed under the control of Puru as the most admirable one of all the citizens. He crowned him emperor over his elder brothers and thus having arranged his affairs he left for the forest. All those years he with his senses and mind without interruption had enjoyed life. Seeing futility of it,that all he gave up in a single moment, just like a bird that leaves its nest when its wings have grown. Doing this he was instantly freed from all his attachments and was, now that he derived from his original self, free from the influence of the three modes . He surrendered to Vasudeva,and pure in his transcendence ,achieved the Absolute Truth, that was his destination as a confident associate of the Supreme Lord.
When Devayani heard the story  that like a joke was presented in the exchange of love between husband and wife, she understood that it was meant for her self-realization.  She understood that living with husband,friends and relatives who are all subjected to the control of the rigid laws of nature , is alike associating with travelers at some place, that according to one's karma was created by the Lord's illusory potency. The daughter of Sucracarya gave up all her attachments in this dreamlike world, fixed her mind fully on Lord Krishna ,and achieved liberation from both,gross and subtle bodies.

I bow to Supreme Lord Vasudeva, Creator of All who reside in all beings and abodes. My respects for You who in perfect peace is the Greatest of All!'

Book9;Chapter 19
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:23:28 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2017, 11:53:43 PM »
Paras'urama, the Lord's Warrior Incarnation

Jamadagni married Renuka, the daughter of Renu. She with the seer of Bhrigu gave birth to many sons of whom Vasuman was the eldest. The renown Paras'urama [also known as Rama] was the youngest son.  He who twenty-one times acted as the annihilator of the Haihaya dynasty and thus freed the earth from all her kshatriyas, is called an incarnation of Vasudeva. (The earth's burden of the arrogant governing class that, covered by passion and ignorance, lacked in respect for the brahminical rule, was removed by him. He killed them despite the fact that they had committed no great offense .'

The honorable king said: 'What was, of those degraded nobles out of control, the offense committed unto the Supreme Lord because of which time and again the dynasty was annihilated?

The son of Vyasa said:
'The king of the Haihayas, Kartaviryarjuna, the best of the kshatriyas, had developed a thousand arms in upholding the worship of Dattatreya who is an incarnation of Narayana. He who was the fear of his enemies could not be defeated, was sharp-witted, most attractive, influential, powerful, renown and physically very strong. Because of his yogic control he had acquired qualities like the perfections of the anima-siddhi and such and he tirelessly traveled all over the world like a whirlwind.  When he one day surrounded by beautiful women enjoyed the water of the Reva, he, overly proud of his of victory, with his arms stopped the flow of the river.  The conceited hero called Ten-head [Ravana] could not bear that , since the water that moved upstream because of Kartaviryarjuna's actions had inundated his camp. Ravana who insulted him in the presence of the women was without much difficulty arrested by him, held in custody in their capital Mahishmati and then released again as if it concerned a monkey.

Once during a hunt alone in the forest wandering aimlessly,Kartaviryarjuna entered the as'rama of Jamadagni muni. The sage on the basis of his austerity had the cow of plenty,kamadhenu,and could offer to that god of man together with his soldiers, ministers and the rest of his retinue, everything that was needed. When the king saw what this wealth that exceeded his personal opulence all meant, he became very envious. He and his Haihayas then decided to steal that cow of sacrifice. In his conceit he encouraged his men to take away the sage's cow of plenty and bring her together with her calf to Mahishmati ,while the calf was crying because of the violence.  After the king was gone Paras'urama, upon returning to the as'rama of his father, heard about that nefarious act and got as angry as a snake that is trampled upon. Unable to tolerate what had happened he took up a ghastly chopper, a quiver, a bow and a shield and went after them like a lion attacking an elephant.  As the king entered the capital he saw the best of the Bhrigus coming after him in fury carrying a bow, arrows and a chopper as his weapons. His skin was covered by a black deerskin, he had matted locks and radiated like sunshine.  He sent seventeen akshauhinis with elephants, chariots, horses and infantry, with swords, arrows, lances, slings and weapons of fire, but Paras'urama, the Lord and Master, most fiercely killed them all by himself.He as the greatest expert in handling the chopper, killed as fast as the wind and as speedy as the mind  the enemy troops from whom here and there the arms, legs and shoulders fell to the ground together with the drivers of the elephants and the horses that had been slain. Seeing his soldiers fallen by the axe and the arrows of Rama lying scattered with their shields, flags, bows and dead bodies in the mud and the blood on the field, Kartairryarjuna rushed over there in fury. Kartaviryarjuna then fixed with five hundred of his arms simultaneously as many arrows on as many bows in order to kill Rama, but he as the best fighter of all the ones armed, cut them all to pieces with his arrows using one bow only. The king attacked again with trees and rocks that he had uprooted with his hands, but, as he was rushing forwards on the battlefield, all his arms were by Paras'urama's razor-sharp axe with great force cut off like they were the hoods of snakes.  After his arms had been cut off, the mountain peak that was his head was severed. As soon as their father was killed his ten thousand sons fled away in fear. Fetching the sacrificial cow and calf that had suffered badly, the Killer of All False Heroism returned to his father's hermitage and handed them over to him. Rama described to his father and brothers everything that he had done. After hearing that Jamadagni spoke as follows:

Rama, oh Rama, mighty hero, you have committed a sin by unnecessarily killing that god of man who embodies all the demigods. We are brahmins my dear one, people who because of their forgiveness have achieved a position of respect. It is by this quality that Lord Brahma who is the spiritual master of the universe has achieved his position as the supreme authority.By forgiveness the splendor, happiness and success of the religious practice shines as brilliant as the sun. The Supreme Lord Hari, our Controller, becomes quickly pleased with those who are forgiving.  To kill a king who is famous as an emperor is worse than killing a brahmin. Therefore wash away that sin my best one, by worship and devotion, with the consciousness full of the Infallible One.'

cont...
Book 9,Chapter 15

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:23:52 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »
How Lord Paras'urama Came to Destroy the Ruling Class Twenty-one Times

S'uka said: 'Oh son of the Kuru dynasty, Paras'urama thus by his father being advised said: 'So be it!', whereupon he for a year traveled to all the holy places. Then he returned to the as'rama.
When Renuka,his mother, one day went to the bank of the Ganges, she saw the king of the Gandharvas. He was garlanded with lotus flowers and sported with the girls of heaven, the Apsaras. She observed his affairs as she went to the river to fetch some water. Drawn to Citraratha , she forgot the time of the fire sacrifice. Upon returning to ashrama,realizing that she had neglected the time, she was afraid to be cursed by the sage and stood with folded hands before him, having put the waterpot in front of him. The sage understood she had deviated from the rule and became angry with his wife. He said: 'Remove her my sons, she's full of sin', but the sons did not carry out his order.  Rama, who through his meditation and austerity was fully aware of the prowess of the sage, in response to the encouragement of his father immediately killed immediately his mother and all his brothers. When Jamadagni thus being pleased asked him what benediction he would like, he said:
'Give those whom we have lost their life back without them remembering their punishment!'
Soon they all rose happily and alive like they had awakened from deep sleep, since Rama had executed the punishing of his kin in the full awareness of the power of his father's austerity.

The sons of Kartaviryarjuna, oh King, meanwhile could not have peace with the remembrance of their father being defeated by the superior power of Paras'urama. So one day,when Rama with his brothers was away from the as'rama in the forest, they, seeking revenge, took the opportunity to approach their residence. Finding the muni sitting at the fireplace fully absorbed in contemplating the Supreme One Praised in the Verses, they, determined to do evil, killed him. Being most cruel towards the poor and unprotected mother of Rama,who begged for the life of her husband, they, those 'kshatriya' brothers, violently cut his head off and took it away.  Renuka, the chaste wife down in tears grieving, stroke her body with her hands and cried loudly: 'Oh Rama, oh Rama, my dear son!'  Hearing the sound of that cry 'Oh Rama', Rama and his brothers,despite being far away, hastened back to the as'rama where they saw that their father had been murdered. Bewildered by the schock, they all lamented and angrily, depressed, sad and indignified cried: 'Oh father, oh saint, you who are such an example of dharma have now departed for heaven and left us behind!'
Thus bewailing their father, Paras'urama entrusted the body to his brothers and personally took up the ax, determined to put an end to the kshatriyas. He went to Mahishmati, [the capital] that was doomed because a brahmin had been killed. There,he in the middle of the town, made a great pile of the heads he severed from their bodies.  Their blood formed a terrible river that brought fear to all the rulers who defied the brahminical culture. Because the kshatriyas, the royal class, had killed his father, he acted to their detriment and twenty-one times over wiped them off the earth. He as a master of war thus at Samanta-pancaka created nine lakes filled with blood instead of water.

Joining his father's head with his body he kept him on kus'a grass and worshiped with sacrifices the Godhead, the True Self and inspiration of all the demigods. The hota priest he gave the eastern direction, the brahma priest he gave the southern direction, the adhvaryu he gave the western side and the udgata received the north. The others and Kas'yapa Muni he assigned the different corners and the middle Aryavarta portion [The land in India between the Himalaya Mountains and the Vindhya Hills] he gave to the upadrashtha priest who supervises the mantras. The assisting sadasya priests received whatever remained. After sacrifice,he took a bath, he, on the bank of the major stream of Sarasvati, so cleansed of all impurities radiated like a cloudless sun. Because of Paras'urama's worship, Jamadagni regained his body with all the symptoms of consciousness and later became the seventh seer in the constellation of the seven sages. 
Paras'urama, the son of Jamadagni who is also the Supreme Lord with the lotus petal eyes, will be a propounder of Vedic knowledge in the next period of Manu, oh King . 
He who in peace with the intelligence has given up the clout, still today can be found in the hills of Mahendra and is worshiped and revered for his character and activities by all the Siddhas, the singers of heaven and the venerable ones.

This is how the Soul of the Universe, the Supreme Lord Hari,who appeared as an incarnation in the Bhrigu dynasty and killed the rulers of man many times, relieved the earth of its great burden.

Book 9,Chapter 16

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:24:16 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »
Lord Shiva,the Great Helper,Glorifies Markandeya Rishi
Suta said:
"The great Lord Rudra , who, accompanied by Uma and surrounded by his entourage, traveled through the sky on his bull, saw how Rishi Markandeya was  absorbed in deep meditation. Uma observing the seer then said to Giris'a: 'Look at this man of learning, who with his body, senses and mind motionless is as calm as the waters of the ocean when the wind has ceased and the fish remain still. Please, oh you who are the bestower of it, award him the perfection of his penances.'

The mighty Lord said: 'I am sure that the brahmin seer does not desire any benedictions in any field, not even liberation, for he has achieved the devotion unto the Supreme Lord, the Inexhaustible Primal One. Nevertheless Bhavani, let us talk to this pure devotee. It is indeed man's highest achievement to gain the association of saintly souls.' "

Suta said: "Thus having spoken He, the master of all knowledge, the controller of all embodied souls and the shelter of the righteous ones, approached him. Having arrested the functions of his mind, the sage had neither knowledge of himself or the outer world, nor was he aware of the arrival of the two powers of control over the universe in person. Mighty Shiva, the great Lord, understanding that, entered Markandeya's  hidden sky of the heart by means of his mystic potency, just like the wind passing through an opening. Shiva appeared inside of him with hair locks blond like lightening, having three eyes and ten arms and rising as high as the sun. Together with a tiger skin He used for his garment, He exhibited his bow and trident, arrows and sword, shield, prayer beads, damaru (a small drum), ax and skull. When he saw him in his heart manifesting suddenly, the sage desisted from his trance and wondered in surprise: 'Who is this and where did he come from?'

Opening his eyes and seeing that Lord Rudra had arrived with his associates and Goddess Uma, the sage bowed his head in deep respect and humility to the Great One,the Guru of the three worlds. He honored him, together with his company and Uma, with words of welcome, sitting places, water for their feet, water to drink, perfumed oil, garlands, incense and lamps. He said:
 'Oh mighty one, what can I do for you, oh Lord who pacifies the universe by the full satisfaction of your ecstatic experience?  I offer you my deepest respect,You,wo as the Lord of goodness gives pleasure,You,who in contact with the mode of passion,appear most fearful,and You,who also come as the mode of ignorance.' "

Suta said: "Praised by these words he, the mighty Lord, the foremost of all and shelter of the truthful soul, perfectly satisfied and happy-minded addressed him with a smile.The great Lord said:
'Please, choose a boon to your liking, for of all givers of benedictions the three of us ,Lord Brahma,Lord Hari,and Myself,are the Lords by whose infallible audience a mortal being finds immortality. We  glorify, worship and assist those who are saintly, peaceful and free from material attachment, who care for all living beings and free from enmity and equal towards all, are of a single-minded devotion unto us. These devotees do not even acknowledge the slightest difference between me, the Infallible One and the One Unborn, nor between themselves or other people and that is why we praise you.  Mere bodies of water as holy places and deities on themselves  purify the soul only after a long time, but you,and all Great Souls and Devotees, do so by simply being seen. We offer the brahmins our respects! For they are dedicated to Us in the form of the three Vedas ,and they by penances, study and concentration are absorbed in the True Self. Even the greatest sinners and outcasts find purification by seeing you and hearing about you, and what would yet mean when one directly speaks to you?!' "

Suta said:
"Thus listening the nectar of words full of the secret of dharma ,of the One decorated with the moon, the sage desired to hear more. He ,who because of Vishnu's maya was terribly exhausted from having wandered for such a long time, had been freed from a great load of trouble by the grace of Lord Shiva's nectarine words and spoke to him. Sri Markandeya said:
'Ah, how inconceivable for embodied souls this pastime is of the great controllers: for such Lords bow down to and offer praise to the very living beings they rule.  In general the teachers act by precept and example for the embodied souls to accept the dharma and encourage and praise those who do so.  Such an act of humility of the Fortunate One does not compromise the power of His activities formed by His Maya, any more than the tricks of a magician compromise his ability.  He who as the Supersoul from His mind ,by Himself in the form of Time, created this universe and subsequently entered it, manifests Himself like being the doer through the operating modes of nature, just like a person witnessing a dream.
Let me bow to Him, the Supreme One, who, endowed with the three gunas, is the true Self on top of them. He is the pure, unequaled spiritual master who is the original form of the Absolute Truth. From seeing You a person can achieve whatever he desires, irrespective what. But what other benediction should I desire from you, oh All-pervading Lord whose presence itself is the highest?  Nevertheless I would like to ask from you who ,the Complete One, that entails the fulfillment of all wishes, one benediction: the unfailing devotion and love for You,the Supreme and Your Devotees.' "

Suta said: "Thus being worshiped and glorified by the well-spoken words of the sage, the great Lord S'arva, thereto encouraged by his consort, said:
 'Oh great sage full of devotion for Adhokshaja, may all your wishes be fulfilled. And may you also till the end of the kalpa enjoy fame, piety and freedom from old age and death. May you have knowledge of the threefold nature of time , oh brahmin,as also wisdom in combination with a free heart. May there for you,being blessed with brahminical potency, be the status of teacher of the Purana.' "

Suta said: "After having granted the sage these blessings he, the Lord with the three eyes, went away, on his way telling the Goddess what Markandeya in the past had accomplished and experienced.  He,that best soul of Bhrigu, who had achieved the greatest of the great in yoga, even today demonstrably travels about, on his path of serving the Lord with single-minded devotion.

Book 12,Chapter 10

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:24:36 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2017, 12:37:26 AM »
The Remedy for Kali-yuga

The honorable king Parikchit said: 'By what means my Lord, do the people living in Kali-yuga eradicate the faults accumulating because of that age? O great sage, please explain this to me.'

S'uka said: "Kali-yuga is known as the age of ignorance, where there is deceit, false testimony, sloth and lethargy, violence, depression, lamentation, delusion, fear and poverty. As a consequence the mortals will be shortsighted, unfortunate, eating too much, lusty and poverty-stricken while the women will act of their own accord and be unchaste. In the populated areas uncivilized people will take high positions and act like thieves, the Vedic scriptures will be slighted by false doctrines [heretics], the political leaders will devour the people and the twice-born souls will be dedicated to their bellies and genitals.  The brahmacaris will fail to execute their vows and become unclean, impure in their engagements, the householders will be beggars, the withdrawn souls those who have gone to the forest for austerities will be city-dwellers and the sannyasis will be excessively greedy for wealth.  Smaller in size, voracious and having many children, the women will have lost their timidity and constantly speak harshly and with great audacity be as deceitful as thieves. The merchants will indulge in cheating so that their business dealings will be wicked while the people unnecessarily will consider any contemptible occupation,or anything that brings money a good job.Servants will abandon a master who lost his wealth - even if he is the best one around, masters will abandon a handicapped servant - even when he belonged to the family for generations, and cows will be abandoned and killed as soon as they stopped giving milk.  They will reject their fathers, brothers, other relatives and friends and will instead associate with the sisters and brothers of their wives. Thus their conception of friendship will be based exclusively on sexual ties. Laborers being dressed up as mendicants of austerity, will accept religious charity to earn their living and mount a high seat to speak about religious matters without any knowledge of dharmic principles. With their minds constantly full of stress, emaciated by famine and taxes in times of scarcity with droughts on the surface of the earth, oh King, the people of Kali-yuga will be troubled by countless worries and live in fear. Lacking in clothing, food, drink, rest,  love , bathing and personal ornaments they will appear like ghostly creatures.  In the age of Kali one will even over a single coin develop enmity , reject friendly relations, kill oneself and even kill one's relatives.  Only interested in the petty service of the stomach and the genitals one, even being born in a respectable family, will not protect the elderly parents, the wife and the children.  Oh King, with their minds diverted by atheism the mortals in Kali-yuga in general will not worship the Infallible One, the Bhagavan who is the Supreme Spiritual Master of the three worlds at whose feet the various masters bow down. In Kali-yuga the people do not worship Him, even though He is the One by whom a person, who dying in distress collapsing with a faltering voice helplessly chants His name, is freed from the chains of karma and achieves the freedom from birth and death. The objects,food , places and the individual nature of man are as a result of Kali-yuga all polluted . But when one installs Bhagavan, the Supreme Self in one's heart, He takes all this contamination away.

Of those human beings who but even heard, glorified, meditated, worshiped or venerated the Supreme Lord, the inauspiciousness is cleansed away that from a thousand births accumulated in their hearts. All the impurities of the mind of yoga practitioners are removed when Lord Vishnu has entered their heart. Education, penance, breath control, friendship, bathing in holy waters, vows, charity and praying with prayer beads do not realize as full the purification of the mind as the presence of Him, the Unlimited Lord, in the heart. Therefore oh King, do your utmost best to establish Lord Kes'ava in your heart; the moment you die you will with your attention focussed on Him attain the highest destination. The Supreme Lord meditated upon by those who are dying is the Supreme Controller, the Soul and Shelter of All, who leads them to their true identity my dearest. In the ocean of faults of Kali-yuga, oh King, there is luckily one great good quality: just by singing about and meditating on Krishna's name, one can be liberated from material bondage and achieve beatitude. The same result one achieves in Satya-yuga by meditating on Vishnu, one achieves in Treta-yuga by worshiping with sacrifices and one achieves in Dvapara-yuga by serving the lotus feet, is in Kali-yuga achieved by chanting the names of Lord Hari."

Book 12,Chapter 3

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:24:58 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »
The Great Sage Markandeya Witnessing the Play of the Lord's Bewildering Maya

Sage Suta said: "The Supreme Lord Narayana, Nara's Friend,properly respected by the great Sage Markandeya, , satisfied spoke to the eminent follower of Bhrigu.  The Supreme Lord said:
'Oh dear man perfectly absorbed in the soul, you are the best of all brahmin seers for by your austerities, by fixed meditation upon the Self,by undivided devotion,and dedicated study of the Vedas,you never deviated from the service unto Me. We are perfectly satisfied about your steady adherence to the great vow. We wish you all the best. Please choose a benediction to your liking. I am the Giver of All Benedictions you desire.'

The great Rishi said: 'You, oh Lord of Lords, oh Infallible One, are victorious as the Remover of the Distress of the Surrendered Soul. I am perfectly satisfied just having seen Your good Self.  Brahma and others with a mind matured in yoga all acquired the sight of Your omnipotent lotus feet and now You in person are visible before my eyes.Nonetheless oh Lotus-eyed Crest Jewel of Fame, I would like to witness your Maya,your great illusory potency.'

Sage Suta said: 'Oh sage S'aunaka, the Supreme Lord, being glorified and worshiped by the rishi to His satisfaction with these words,said with a smile to him 'So be it'. Thereupon the Lord departed for Badarikas'rama.

The rishi remained behind in his hermitage thinking only of that purpose and venerated and meditated under all circumstances on the Lord to the best of his ability , in the fire, the sun, the moon, the water, the earth, the wind, the lightning as also in his heart.
Thus immersed in the stream of pure love [prema] he sometimes forgot to prove his respects. Oh best of Bhrigu, when the sage one day was performing his evening worship on the bank of the Pushpabhadra, a great wind arose oh brahmin. It created a terrible sound followed by the appearance of threatening clouds as solid as wagon wheels that resounded loudly with lightning and havy rain everywhere.  Then from all sides the four oceans appeared that engulfed the surface of the earth with wind-tossed waves,in which there were terrible sea monsters and fearful whirlpools accompanied by ominous sounds.Perplexed the sage became afraid seeing how the earth flooded and all the inhabitants of the universe [as born from moist, seed, embryos and eggs] including himself, inside and outside were plagued by the fierce winds, the bolts of lightning and the great waves of water rising higher than the sky.  Before his eyes the water of the great ocean was swirled around by hurricanes in frightening waves as it swelled with the rain from the clouds and covered the entire earth with its continents, islands and mountains. 
With the three worlds, the earth, outer space, the celestial bodies and heavenly places flooded in all directions the great sage, as the only soul remaining, wandered about like a dumb and blind person, with his matted locks scattered. 

Suffering hunger and thirst, attacked by monstrous crocodiles and whale-eaters and plagued by the winds he, tormented by the waves, moved about in  the infinite darkness he had fallen into, overcome by fatigue and not knowing which direction of the sky or the earth he went.  Sometimes drowning in a great whirlpool and then beaten by the waves he was threatened by monsters that tried to eat him the one moment and the other moment were attacking each other. In distress he sometimes felt sick and suffered pains with occasional depressions, bewilderment, misery, unhappiness and happiness, while fearing for his life at other times.

Countless and countless, hundreds and thousands of years passed with him in bewilderment wandering around in that Maya, that deluding material energy of Vishnu.

One day, as he was roaming about there, the twice-born soul spotted upon a raised mound of earth a beautiful young banyan tree with fruits and blossoms.  Upon a branch of it toward the northeast he saw an infant boy lying within the fold of a leaf swallowing the darkness with His effulgence. Amazed,the king among the scholars, stared at  His complexion,that was as blue as a great emerald, His beautiful lotus face, His conch shell-striped throat, His broad chest, fine nose and beautiful eyebrows. His splendid hairs trembled to His breath, His beautiful shell-shaped ears resembled pomegranate flowers, His coral lips by their effulgence slightly reddened the nectarean charming smile on his face and the corners of His eyes were reddish like the whorl of a lotus. His breathing moved the lines of His abdomen contorted by His deep leaf like navel and he saw how the infant with the graceful fingers of His two hands grabbed one of His lotus feet and placed it in His mouth. When he saw the baby his weariness was dispelled instantly and out of pleasure the lotus of his heart and his lotus eyes spread wide open. With his hair standing on end he asked himself who that wonderful appearance could be and went straight for the child to find an answer.

That very moment the man of Bhrigu with a breath of the infant was drawn into His body like a mosquito whereupon he utterly surprised stood perplexed to see from that position the entire universe the way it was before.  He saw the entire expanse of all the stars, the mountains and oceans, the directions of the great islands and continents, the enlightened and unenlightened souls, the forests, countries, rivers, cities and mines, the peasant villages, the cow pastures and the various engagements of the varnas'rama society. Of this universe being manifested as real he saw the basic elements of nature and all their gross manifestations as also the Time itself in the form of the different yugas and kalpas and whatever other object of use in material life. In front of the universe seeing the Himalayas, the Pushpabhadra river and his hermitage,where he had met the rishis Nara and Narayana, he was by the breath of the infant thrown outside again and fell back into the ocean of dissolution. And there, on the raised stretch of land in the water where the banyan grew, was the child again lying in the fold of its leaf, glancing at him with a nectarean smile of love from the corner of His eyes. Placing the vision of the infant within his heart he greatly excited ran to embrace the Lord of the Beyond.

That very instant He, the Supreme Lord, the master of yoga in person who is hidden in the heart of all living beings, suddenly became invisible to the rishi,just as the achievements of an incompetent person can suddenly vanish. Oh brahmin, following Him immediately also the banyan disappeared and the waters of the annihilation of the world,and he found himself in front of his as'rama as before."

Book 12,Chapter 9